• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baba au rhum

mm84321

A few questions for making individual cakes. I have read many recipes, and there seems to be a variance in how to soak the babas. Some say let them cool completely, then imbibe in a hot, but not boiling syrup. Some say to keep the syrup at a boil. Others say to dip them while they are still warm from the oven. Some say to let both the baba and the syrup be completely cool, and then soak. There are also instructions to poke the cakes with toothpicks. In any case, I do not have enough time, nor eggs and butter, to experiment every possible scenario. Which way would be best to get as much syrup into the babas? So far, I have let them cool, then soak in a hot syrup for about 10 minutes, and while good, I feel the cake could have been a bit more saturated.

Secondly, I plan to make 10 babas for a party next week. Is soaking them the day of ideal, or can this be done a night ahead? Again, I don't really have the time or desire to eat and test these at different stages. I had thought of possibly storing them in their syrup inside an airtight container. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm no expert, but I can say that when I've done them I've put cool babas into hot (60c) but not boiling syrup, and soaked them for about 10 minutes. This has worked (which doesn't mean that other methods wouldn't work too): I think I'd be skeptical about cold/cold (I don't think much syrup would soak in, if only because it's quite viscous). I've often read that soaking a hot sponge in hot syrup doesn't work, and I've noticed this myself with cakes, but I don't know why it should be. I've never pricked or fiddled with them.

I would avoid boiling syrup because the texture will change, and I don't see that it needs to be so hot. If you are heating it as you soak, you probably need to make sure you adjust the concentration if you are doing lots of batches because it's bound to thicken (even if held below boiling). Obviously if you are working with hot syrup you don't put rum in the syrup, or you lose the alcohol.

I've never done them a day ahead, but then I'm just a home baker so I reckon more or less the only thing I can definitely supply is something spanking fresh. If you do them ahead, I definitely wouldn't hold them in syrup, because they will become too saturated (you can have too much of a soggy thing): about 15 to 20 minutes soaking seems right to me, followed by a chance to drain, and I think if held in syrup for hours they would become rather unpleasant. They need to be thoroughly soaked, but not utterly denatured.

I appreciate your response. I am going to go the way of soaking them just before serving, since I think that will yield the best result. The texture after having just been soaked would be too hard to replicate any other way.

mm84321, would you care to share the recipe you're currently using?

I tried making baba au rhum once, long ago, and the results were so unpleasant that I haven't tried since. I haven't been thrilled with most restaurant offerings I've come across, either, so I'd love to hear of a reliable recipe.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I have followed several different recipes, some using fresh yeast, others dry, with varying degrees of success. Tonight, I tried one published in the New York Times back in 2001. It is an adaptation of Ducasse's recipe, and I found the most success following this particular recipe. The crumb is perfect, and the cake itself is light without the unpleasant density I experienced in other recipes. I am using silicone dariole molds, but I still butter and flour them, as I think it helps facilitates in the browning. I also turn the tray halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.

For the syrup, I use lemon and orange zest (did not care for lime) and half a split vanilla bean. Once it's cooled down, I add 1/2 cup of rum. For the whipped cream, I bring 100ml of cream to the boil, add a whole, scraped vanilla bean, let infuse for 20 minutes or so, then add an additional 200ml of cream and let infuse overnight in the fridge before whipping. You can add a little caster sugar, but I think it's better unsweetened.

Tonights outcome:

jidyHSHl.png

Recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1859/Baba-Au-Rhum.html

I have followed several different recipes, some using fresh yeast, others dry, with varying degrees of success. Tonight, I tried one published in the New York Times back in 2001. It is an adaptation of Ducasse's recipe, and I found the most success following this particular recipe. . . .

Thank you very much! I know how particular you are about the quality of your results, so I'm really looking forward to giving this a go.

@keychris: How is the crumb on those, and what is their texture like, once they're soaked?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I have followed several different recipes, some using fresh yeast, others dry, with varying degrees of success. Tonight, I tried one published in the New York Times back in 2001. It is an adaptation of Ducasse's recipe, and I found the most success following this particular recipe. . . .

Thank you very much! I know how particular you are about the quality of your results, so I'm really looking forward to giving this a go.

Important: be sure your eggs are at room temp before incorporating into butter/sugar/flour mixture. Also, the butter should be quite soft. I kept mine on the side of the stove for 10 minutes or so. It should be a soft pomade.

Can you make baba in a different shape and what would be downsides of that? I was thinking brioche metal moulds, would that work?

You can make them in whichever shape you'd like. There are recipes for making one large baba, instead of small individual cakes. I've even seen some make them in a regular loaf pan. I'm not sure the shape has much to do with the overall absorption of the syrup, but I think size might, and smaller cakes will probably be easier to evenly saturate.

Important: be sure your eggs are at room temp before incorporating into butter/sugar/flour mixture. Also, the butter should be quite soft. I kept mine on the side of the stove for 10 minutes or so. It should be a soft pomade.

Thanks, and noted!

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I am curious about the possibility of using this as a dessert item for our accounts; how long can the unsoaked baba be held? In the cooler or freezer? I'm thinking that if the babas can hold for two days before delivery and the client soaks to order, it could work, and be a nice change of pace.

I am curious about the possibility of using this as a dessert item for our accounts; how long can the unsoaked baba be held? In the cooler or freezer? I'm thinking that if the babas can hold for two days before delivery and the client soaks to order, it could work, and be a nice change of pace.

Jeanne, I have held the unsoaked caked in airtight containers at cool room temp for one day without a problem. That does not mean it could not hold for two, I just haven't kept them that long to find out. I imagine they would be fine. I have also soaked the baba and held it for a day in the refrigerator. It is still fine the next day, but it will not be the same as if it's soaked the very last minute before serving.

baba au rhum is one of the desserts I remember most from childhood (they were, interestingly, purchased in a can at Eaton's Department Store, imported all the way from France). As I've grown older, I much prefer savarin. It seems oh so much more healthful (crème pâtissière is dairy, and there's fruit, too!) :laugh: (the best part is drinking the syrup that has leaked out from the savarin or baba)