• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 4)

Marlene

OK, one more: Aromas of Aleppo: The Legendary Cuisine of Syrian Jews. I suspect it will be joined by several more on July 4, courtesy of our local Bargain Books' half-price sale.

As predicted, I am now the proud owner of:

Culinaria Spain

The Spiaggia Cookbook

Every Night Italian

Chicken à la King & The Buffalo Wing

Two for the Road

Candyfreak

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Candyfreak

Had to add a note: Candyfreak is a poorly chosen title for this book :hmmm: and I would encourage anyone who is interested in the history of the small family-owned candy businesses in the USA going back a few decades to read it. If you ever loved certain candies as a child and these candies no longer exist...read this book.

Yes, the writer is a self-admitted 'candyfreak', but the book is well-researched and fascinating. I stumbled across it in a Utah library and read it from cover to cover.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Add 13 more for me.  Most from a second-hand $.25 sale. 

Others include Corriher's Cookwise and an old, but wonderful, Chinese cookbook, The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook.

I like The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook but her recipes call for CELERY! (yucky face here). Not cooked celery in my Chinese food, dammit. It's too easy to find Bok Choy! Maybe this is just a factor of when it was published, but it's just WRONG! :wacko:

maybe she meant Chinese celery???

FWIW, we have friends from mainland China who make a stir-fried celery dish. It's very simple and somewhat flavourless, actually.

I can add 9 to the list, but most of my cookbooks are in Canada, and who knows how many there are.

Add one more for me. My own personal copy of David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop has finally arrived. Huzzah!

Ordering from Amazon Canadian is NOT the same as ordering from Amazon USA. :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished cataloging most of my Asian and International cookbooks...the list may be found at:

http://dmreed.com/cooking_stuff_asian_cookbooks.htm

the total so far is 560!

there are probably 20-40 more which I have to dig out or have not yet perused and there are more coming in the mail. I will attempt to keep the list up to date.

my next catalogging project may be the rest of my cookbooks maybe 300+.

I have notced multiple copies of several books which I will offer for sale on ebay.

the list of books will help me avoid buying the same book more than once!

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

Embarrassed to admit but about 10, most of them from around 10-15 years ago, before the internet age. Nowadays its so much simpler to go to YouTube and get a better idea of how the recipe should be cooked. I got into Indian cooking recently and became a fan of this guy who calls himself vahchef than gives online Indian cooking lessons.

Avi Ben Shitrit

<a href='http://www.diaperbagchic.com' target='_blank'>Diaper Bags</a>

• 2 weeks later...

You have to love those second hand stores. Took a visiting friend into Value Village to show her the tan slacks available for her daughter and just took a quick peek at the cookbooks. Someone was getting rid of some goodies.

Mark Bittman. How to Cook Everything.

Christian Teubner. The Chocolate Bible.

Practical Cookery. Chocolate. (lots of yummy photos and I'm also impressed by books with the English 'cookery' in them. The colonial in me, no doubt)

Roz Denny. Rice & Risotto. (don't know how 'good' it is, but it certainly is timely)

Elizabeth Wolf-Cohen. Step-by-Step Irresistible Chocolate. (Wow! $.22 on Amazon.com. My friend wanted it and then left it here by accident. It was free. Buy 4, get one free.)

That's 5 more for me. :wink:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just finished cataloging most of my Asian and International cookbooks...the list may be found at:

http://dmreed.com/cooking_stuff_asian_cookbooks.htm

the total so far is 560!

there are probably 20-40 more which I have to dig out or have not yet perused and there are more coming in the mail. I will attempt to keep the list up to date.

my next catalogging project may be the rest of my cookbooks maybe 300+.

I have notced multiple copies of several books which I will offer for sale on ebay.

the list of books will help me avoid buying the same book more than once!

I have passed the 600 Asian Cookbooks number! 609 unique book titles and 474 book cover images.

I am still trying to track down the missing book covers and as son as I have done that and then put the collection into alphabetical order, I will begin cataloging the remainder of my cookbooks.

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

OK, first post and it seems appropriate. Just counted and I have 112 books ranging from very old to fairly new.

Latest addition was yesterday, a 50p find at a car boot sale - Celebrity Cooking For You edited by Renee Hellman with a foreword by Arthur Dickson Wright, the father of Clarissa Dickson Wright of Two Fat Ladies fame. 1961 1st edition.

I'm just glad there is a forum where I can share this stuff without feeling ashamed of my addiction !

Those second hand stores can become an addiction. DH is searching for a couple of specific items and naturally I go into the store with him...and find cookbook treasures. Well, these may not be exactly treasures.

A small manual on making homemade liqueurs and one for fun and nostalgia: Land O Lakes Simply Delicious Cookies, Brownies, Desserts, Cakes, Pies, purchased in memory of our 6 months in Utah last year. Canadian butter does not come in sticks, but rather in a block and using a stick butter, like Land O Lakes was a treat for baking. (I have a section dedicated to 'pop' cookbooks, like Hershey's, Nestle's and suchlike.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

683 Asian Cookbooks cataloged so far...a few more to go and then I will begin cataloging the non-Asian (Regular) Cookbooks.

Add three more for me, and 2 "about food" Holly Moore's Best Food Writing 2008 and (preorder) Best Food Writing 2009. What can I say, I love this guy! (his collections of writing, any way... :laugh: )

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

just a bit above 200-220 or so, lost count (kids...) and don't feel like starting over. I'm hitting the limit of what I can store w/o them taking over the entire living room shelf - not that that will stop me.....

;-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I know the feeling well...I hav een out of space for a very very long time! and the books just keep coming in :>)

almost 700 Asian cookbooks so far and I plan oataloging the non-Asian cookbooks soon (after I finish cataloging my Latin Music Collection - 600+ CDs).

I use ReaderWare ( which can use a bar code scanner)to catalog these collections and which I recommend to anyone.

Oh, that ReaderWare thing looks great! Not so much for my books, but I have somewhere between 3 and 4 thousand CDs all over the house, if this really works with the barcode I could imagine organizing them one day! The idea of having to type all that into a databse has kept me from doing it. Thanks for mentioning this!

And wow, 700 Asian cookbooks?

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

it does require checking that the barcode actually gets the CD you have...I usually do about 20 CDs at a time so I can make appropriate corrections. but I do recommend readerware!

[Moderator note: This topic continues in Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)]

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)