• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Marlene

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 4)

OK, lets see here; Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I'm Only Here for the Food, an international cookbook whose name escapes me, and Marcella Says; so that's four more for me! :wub:

Hé, judiu, lately, it seems to be the two of us...

Here goes:

The Cooking of Southwest France, :wub: Paula Wolfert - Oh wow!!!!

The Best Recipes in the Workld, Mark Bittman; well, we'll see if that's true but I do love his How to Cook Everything, and you do get a lot of recipes for your money...

Oh yes, my copy of The Cooking of Southwestern France has arrived! Hooray!

Judiu, you do seem to be making up for that house fire! :biggrin: Have you gotten back up to your old total yet?

Oh yes, my copy of The Cooking of Southwestern France has arrived!  Hooray!

Judiu, you do seem to be making up for that house fire!  :biggrin:  Have you gotten back up to your old total yet?

No, not yet; the new place doesn't have as much storage as the house did and I really need to find some bookshelves! I have picked up lots of smaller "church kitchen" books that I didn't have before, and am gradually replacing what I had in the way of "big" books. I'll never stop, but I may have to slow down some; I've got a bad case of lack-of-fundosis! :raz:

We've added another 15 since I last posted. Most interesting:

Mrs. Chiang's Szechuan Cookbook

the Mandarin Way (by Cecilia Chang)

Eight Immortal Flavors (Johnny Kan)

I seem to be working on an historical Chinese cookbook collection.

Also picked up (but am not counting) China to Chinatown: Chinese Food in the West by JAG Roberts.

97,270. (I really must order Paula Wolfert's SW France book!)

And Bombdog, Steven's book -- or any book about food or the business of food -- does count.)

Just 69 here (and that includes *both* editions of Harold McGee!).

I thought there were more than that...

I can see I have some shopping to do!

Add one more book.

Tonight at Costco: "Nobu Now". Talk about impulse buying ...

Only five new ones since my last post, thank goodness. I'm finally slowing down.

Courtesy of a super sale at Bargain Books:

La Mia Cucina Toscana (A Tuscan Cooks in America), by Pino Luongo

Saffron Sunshine (Tapas, Mezze and Antipasti), by Elisabeth Luard

The new SW France, courtesy of Paula Wolfert and her publisher.

Bought in the early 80s, sold in the early 90s, and now bought again: The Joy of Cheesecake, by Dana Bovebjerg & Jeremy Iggers

And Ms. Alex's current fave: Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook, by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann

Gourmet Preserves Chez Madelaine.

Can you guess what I'm giving out as holiday gifts this year?

3612 from the fat man living in a thin man's body

does anyone want to help me catalogue them?

Me, of course. Where are you? And please add 26 more for me including birthday gifts (the new Portland Junior League) and several from Cooks and Books events including books by Paula Wolfert, Nancy Oakes and Pamela Mazzola, Alice Medrich, and the new Martha Stewart and Mark Bittman which jumped into my cart at Costco. Plus the usual used treasures like Texas the Beautiful Cookbook.

What? 3,612? Are you serious? Game over, you win, man! Please, what's the story?

sure, i am a professional librarian by trade

:wink:

Sure, I can help you. I'm a professional librarian as well.

suzilightning, you do half and I do half, if Probono agrees. Probono, when do we start? :biggrin:

Back to topic, please add one more, Maggie: Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook.

Only one tonight. The new At Home with Michael Chiarello. He was among the nicest and most professional chef/authors we've had in the Cooks and Books series. We spent all day shlepping from one event to another and he is a peach. And I still want in on Probono's books. I'm totally curious to see where we overlap and where we don't.

Tah Dah! Thanks mostly to Probono, we've hit a landmark --- we've surpassed 100,000 mark! With my purchase of The Silver Spoonthis thread clocks in at 101,615 cookbooks.

And that's just a fraction of the true total. Ladies and gentlemen, start counting your cookbooks!

Since I last posted I think you need to add 8.

(This is getting out of control.)

Fifi, ma chere: What does it matter that we could all get along with, maybe, six cookbooks? We are giving ourselves hours of pleasure on the sofa and in the kitchen, while supporting food writers and the publishing houses who love them.

I'm making my list and checking it twice.

I need to add 19 since I last posted.

I need to add 19 since I last posted.

Cool! 101,646.