• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 4)

Marlene

We just sold 3 copies of the Joy of Cooking.

I've added some more books to the sale, so I'll keep you updated as they go.

We also finally got a new copy of Deal Delights- so that I can write in the margins for my daughter.

YES, I am still buying cookbooks! We just got a cache of old cooking magazines- but they do not count.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Another second hand cookbook: Marshall Field's Frango Chocolate Cookbook.

I had never heard of Frango chocolate before. Not too much in it, but it all adds to the chocolate collection. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The entire TimeLife foods of the world series (how many is that? I dunno)

2 different editions of Joy

Vincent Price

3 fundraisers

2 more w two books per - does that equal 4? (turn book over, its anew book)

2 from library sale

6 random

TLFOW + 18.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to eGullet and only just found this thread.

I can add 738 to the total!

Latest 3 are all on Sous Vide:

Under Pressure - Thomas Keller

Sous-vide - Viktor Stampfer

Sous Vide Cuisine - Joan Roca & Salvador Brugues.

Cheers,

Peter.

I have app. 95 minus Ratios which i just gave away out of frustration. I do however have the complete series of magazines from 2000 to today from Cooks Illustrated, and also the same from Cusine At Home.

As i work in the food services, i am constantly buying books, and keeping the ones that interest me and passing the rest on, so the count keeps going up and down.

Was just looking at the stack of cookbooks next to my desk and realized I have not posted for over a year and I have added a few:

Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins & More by Carole Walter

The Splendid Table's How To Eat Supper by Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift

Kneadlessly Simple by Nancy Baggett

Sauces -Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making by James Peterson

The Cracker Kitchen by Janis Owens

Ladie Borlase's Receiptes Booke edited by David E. Schoonover

a facsimile reproduction of The Art of Cookery Made Plain & Easy by Hannah Glasse (1747)

America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book

America's Test Kitchen The Best Skillet Recipes

Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads

The Blue Strawberry Cookbook by James Haller (1976)

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

Moghul Cooking by Joyce Westrip

Southern Cakes by Nancy McDermott

That's 14.

I know there were two or three others but they seem to have wandered off and are mingling with the numerous other books I have laying around. (I read a great deal and while my Kindle has cut down on the number of physical books I buy, there are still some not available on electronic media.)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

One more. I'm moving, and friends gave me a cookbook (recipes from the Florida Keys and Caribbean, can't remember the name and it's not close by) as a going-away gift. Something else to pack! But that's cool.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I don't have a count but I can provide footage!

About 50 feet (maybe more) of cookbooks not counting .pdf copies of older books, computer copies of recipes, and "computer books", and cooking videos.

2/3 to 3/4 of my collection consists of Asian cookbooks, mainly Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc.

Someday I hope to catalog my collection.

I am curious, what is the oldest Asian cookbook anyone here has?

I have a .pdf copy of a 1914 Chinese-Japanese Cookbook.

oops, I just found an older .pdf copy of Oriental Cookbook c 1913!

Edited by dmreed (log)

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

162,740 -- more or less.

wow! and I have trouble finding space for my cookbooks...in bookcases, stacked on the floor and stacked on half my bed :sad:

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

162,740 -- more or less.

wow! and I have trouble finding space for my cookbooks...in bookcases, stacked on the floor and stacked on half my bed :sad:

:laugh:

She's giving the running total for this discussion. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

162,740 -- more or less.

:laugh:

She's giving the running total for this discussion. :wink:

whew :shock:

thanks...I was really impressed :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can add six more books for me. The prize catch in the latest additions is Michelle Urvater's Chocolate Cake. The Hawaiian white chocolate, coconut, and macadamia cake was stunning!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

162.750, but I suspect that this is the NPR ratio: in this society the cookbook count is about 1/20 the number of actual cookbooks.

Please - what? Are you suggesting that the actual number of NPR listeners is 20x what people admit? Or is NPR something food related?

Thx

Two more: The Chez Panisse cookbook, and The Cafe 1217 Cookbook. The latter is little-known but a treasure, from a wonderful restaurant here in Hot Springs, unknown until featured a year or so ago on Food Network and in Southern Living. Gourmet carryout. Who knew?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

OK, one more: Aromas of Aleppo: The Legendary Cuisine of Syrian Jews. I suspect it will be joined by several more on July 4, courtesy of our local Bargain Books' half-price sale.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Add 13 more for me.  Most from a second-hand $.25 sale. 

Others include Corriher's Cookwise and an old, but wonderful, Chinese cookbook, The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook.

I like The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook but her recipes call for CELERY! (yucky face here). Not cooked celery in my Chinese food, dammit. It's too easy to find Bok Choy! Maybe this is just a factor of when it was published, but it's just WRONG! :wacko:

maybe she meant Chinese celery???