• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 4)

Marlene

We got four more - and I suppose I should count up my partner's books one of these days since they have co-resided with mine for the past two years! He's cooking steadily from "Vij's - Elegant and Inspired Indian Cuisine" - and I am happy to enjoy his adventure.

Just found this thread. I'll get back with my count when we get home in early January, but I have brought with me and bought since arriving in Moab, 18 cookbooks. I go into a second hand store or book store and they just walk out with me somehow. No! I don't lift them. It's just that they need a forever home. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Money's been tight this year, so not a lot of new books -- which is not to say "none at all."

Under Pressure

Alinea

Asian Dining Rules

The Essential Bartender's Guide

Think Like a Chef

There are a few on my Christmas list; I'll update later.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Money's been tight this year, so not a lot of new books -- which is not to say "none at all."

Under Pressure

Alinea

Asian Dining Rules

The Essential Bartender's Guide

Think Like a Chef

There are a few on my Christmas list; I'll update later.

Nice list. That makes it 158,958. Nope, 158959: I received "Lessons in Wine Service from Charlie Trotter."

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 weeks later...

Only two for me so far for Christmas: The Essential Cocktail, and Baking by the Yard, which was the most thoughtful and enjoyable gift from my bestest friend on "Girls Christmas" and when I opened it, she told me why she chose it and we opened it and looked at all the pictures and read some of the stories aloud and drooled together. Careful, and thoughtful and shared slowly and joyfully, like Christmas should be.

Everyone, rush out and buy "Fat."

That's the one I got for Christmas from my fiancee. I love this woman.

I also got McGee for my birthday, and have picked up several others at Value Village and suchlike outlets. Best bargain-shop acquisitions were Anita Stewart's Canada, New York Times Cookbook, and Alford and Duguid's Home Baking. Total outlay? $15 CDN. God, how I love cheap books.

Since my last post, I reckon 23 new ones.

I've also opened two restaurants, so I'm damned if I know when I'll have time to read them.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

That's 159,001, including one for me, which I bought on site at at Les Fougeres a dreamy favorite restaurant of mine a short hop from Ottawa on the Quebec side. A Year at Les Fougeres.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I've been meaning to do this for a while.

Hello my name is Nicholas and I'm a cookbook-aholic.

I have 293 cookbooks and counting and it's been three days since I bought a cookbook...

Most recently I acquired:

The Flavor Bible (flying over to Oz from Amazon as I write)

The Big Fat Duck Cookbook (xmas present)

Balance and Harmony (Asian Food) (xmas present)

Bouchon

Under Pressure

Mexican Cooking (Bayless, thanks for all the recommendations on here)

All I can say is thank God for the Internet: we can mask our addiction to some extent in downloadings :)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Two more for me. The Splendid Table (northern italian) and How To Eat Supper, both by Lynn Rosetto Casper, et. al. There's more to come! :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Hello my name is Nicholas and I'm a cookbook-aholic.

Nick, if you're looking for recovery by checking into this topic, you've come to the wrong 12 Step Program! We're nothing but enablers!

To wit: 160,069.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 weeks later...
is the fat duck book worth $

There is a separate thread on this book here.

The book is really a number of books in one: it is an autobiography of his cooking as well as a resource book of the philosophy and science underpinning his cooking and a catalogue of most of his recipes. The writing is clear, cogent and easily readable. It is a massive (sit-at-the-table-to-read) book and the recipes are not modified for your normal home kitchen, as he did in his Search for Perfection series. Instead the recipes unapologetically detail how the meals are created in the restaurant; and he is not a chef to take short cuts.

I have not cooked a whole dish out of the book as yet but have used a number of processes within it to augment other dishes that I make. Moreover, the book is full of snippets of knowledge that make the difference between having a complex cooking process work and wondering why it didn't.

Is it worth the $ is a question for you given what you want in a book. For me it was very much worth it; for the average newspaper reviewer, as you will see in the thread, it was not. Although this probably says more about them than the book.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

137......at least.....they are sort of spread around. That includes the whole Time/Life World set which taught me about the world, and the world of food, and from which I still learn and cook. Also, lots of Asian cookbooks and a bunch of thick baking books.

Latest purchase.....Paula Wolfert's Couscous from my new favorite site Half.com.

Trying to clear out the stuff that really is not worth the storage space.

Judy

Five more to add. Went Amazon wild a couple of nights ago. :blink: They are all confirmed as on the way, so I guess they can count.

"Truffles, Candies, and Confections: Techniques and Recipes for Candymaking"

Carole Bloom;

"Chocolate Obsession: Confections and Treats to Create and Savor"

Michael Recchiuti

"The Pie and Pastry Bible"

Rose Levy Beranbaum

"The Cake Bible"

Rose Levy Beranbaum

"Chocolate Epiphany: Exceptional Cookies, Cakes, and Confections for Everyone"

Francois Payard

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'll have to do a recount, as I've neglected to update on this thread as I got new stuff, but I got a copy of Alinea from my wife as a 12th Night present. :wub:

Sincerely,

Dante

That includes the whole Time/Life World set which taught me about the world, and the world of food, and from which I still learn and cook. 

I have the set too, and use them all the time. A masterpiece of a series.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com