• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 4)

Marlene

Mediterranean Street Food, by Anissa Helou.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A copy of “Larousse Gastronomique”, 36th printing 1976 is the largest.

Jeff Yates “Cookin’ n’ Pickin’, 1980 is the smallest, 32 pages. It’s a collection of bluegrass music for banjo and fiddle with 12 pages of original mountain recipes.

I bought it for the music.

Edited by A.J. Di Liberti (log)

After reading through the whole topic on eGullet, I had to get Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I picked up three Louisiana community cookbooks yesterday when I was having a cafe au Lait and Beignets at Hebert's Speciality Meats here in south Tulsa. I also picked up some Poche's andouille and their tasso ham to make some red beans with. I might make Jambalaya tomorrow for dinner since I have everything.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Wow have I been remiss. Reminded by shuffling my Current & Recent on the wknd.: How I Learned to Cook, Judith Jones's The Tenth Muse, Martha's Original Classics, and as mentioned in relevant topic, Jamie at Home.

These four I can account for at least, as well as commend. How I Learned to Cook is extremely unevenly edited, lapsing often into the dread and hackneyed general cooking or bad restaurant customer anecdote, but extraordinarily cheap on the used market and worth the quick rip-through for its highlights. The Martha I haven't had a close look at yet, and how did it get into my Costco cart anyways? Judith Jones seems to pull her punches a little, could be due to gentility, an excellent read at any rate. Jamie, sincere and chockablock with good info.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

• 3 weeks later...

Four more cookbooks, and three guesses as to my latest obsession . . .

Niloufer Ichaporia King - My Bombay Kitchen: Traditional and Modern Parsi Home Cooking

Madhur Jaffrey’s Quick and Easy Indian Cooking

Chandra Padmanabhan - Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India

Ammini Ramachandran - Grains, Greens, and Grated Coconuts: Recipes and Remembrances of a Vegetarian Legacy

Not a cookbook, but food-related:

Fuchsia Dunlop – Shark’s Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China

Edited for accuracy

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

151 plus food writing books. In a fit of insanity, I created an ordered list of all of them with commentary about each and photos of my new kitchen bookshelf here on my blog. Lots of packed lunch (bento-style & non), kids stuff, and some Japanese-language cookbooks.

157,182, including two for me: "Marcella Cucina" -- yes, I'm still terrified of that woman, but her zucchini/mashed potato dish I made last night was really, really good.

And "Bon Appetit, Y'All" by Virginia Willis. It's a Southern cookbook seen through the eyes of a grad of La Varenne, and the ex-manager of Martha Stewart Living's kitchen. I'll try the Funeral Grits this week.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 4 weeks later...

157.314. Actually, 157, 315. I got the unabridged English translation of Escoffier's "The Complete Guide to the Art of Modern Cookery" today. (I'm exhausted, just turning over two pages.)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

• 1 month later...

OK, one more -- Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from The New York Times

• 2 months later...

I love this thread- what a great idea!- and just have to contribute my 38 cookbooks. Off i go to Amazon now to order the five books that have been on my wishlist forever :biggrin:

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

I have added 56 more since I last posted a couple of years ago.

56 in the last couple of years? Just this year alone, i've added 20 books to my collection. Oh, the shame!

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

I have three calculators and I can't find a single one. I'm back in fifth grade, toting up columns with a pencil. I make it 157, 669. No. Wait. Two for me from a resale shop: Mark Bittman's "Fish" and a suspiciously anonymous and glossy book about Noodles, which is terrific. 157, 671.

Chime in Cocktailians. Your books count too.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I have three calculators and I can't find a single one. I'm back in fifth grade, toting up columns with a pencil. I make it 157, 669. No. Wait. Two for me from a resale shop: Mark Bittman's "Fish" and a suspiciously anonymous and glossy book about Noodles, which is terrific. 157, 671.

Chime in Cocktailians. Your books count too.

Start, All Programs, Accessories, Calculator (I'm assuming you're not using a Mac.)

Still, I'll often do my calculations on paper or in my head. Got to keep that decrepitude away from those old neurons, you know.

Alex, I always forget about the computer calculator -- shame on me. But I'm comforted to know that I can still do something I could when I was a kid.

My friend, I know you've acquired a cookbook or six since you last posted on this topic. Tell.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

• 4 weeks later...