• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 4)

Marlene

3 more for me.

Debbie Moose's Deviled Eggs
Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything
Mark Bittmans How to Cook Everything Holidays

[Moderator note: The original Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 3)]

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

one more for me. someone put Kitchen Detective by Christopher Kimball (the bow tie wearing dude from Cook's Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen) into my cubby at work. i really like the way this guy writes and the recipes i've tried so far work pretty well.

next up: blue cheese dressing to go over my retro iceberg wedge and jersey tomatoes for my birthday dinner. :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I have 123....including 6 Joy of Cooking and about 25 of the regional ones put out by church ladies and other clubs...I collect both.

Newest addition...Mes Confitures, by Christine Ferber. I am a jam making maniac this week!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Score!

Picked up a copy of Cooks Illustrated's "The Best Recipe"...from a remaindered bin at Safeway...for $6.99 CDN (list price $40 CDN).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

next up: blue cheese dressing to go over my retro iceberg wedge and jersey tomatoes for my birthday dinner.
Yum.

Happy Birthday, Suzi Ma'am!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

...and yet another 3 for me:

Modern Greek (170 contemporary recipes from the Mediterranean) by Andy Harris

Mediterraneo (delicious recipes from the Mediterranean) by Clare Ferguson

Slow Cooking (not so fast food) by Joanne Glynn

I picked these 3 up at Williams-Sonoma over the weekend on the sale table: $7 for the three of 'em! I was amazed and so pleased! I was sorry, however, to see that Paula Wolfert's Slow Mediterranean Kitchen was among the carnage at something like $3.99. I have a copy already, and since weight was an issue I couldn't see picking up a spare for some friend I don't know yet. I did, however, talk the friend who was with me into picking up a copy.

Thanks to the Free Cookbooks! thread Susan in Fl and I exchanged cookbooks, leaving the balance even in this case. My take was the 1942, 1944 edition of The Good Housekeeping Cookbook. It's a fun item, and completes my gang from that time, since Mom gave me her old banged-up copies of The Joy of Cooking and the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook from about the same time. Thanks, Susan!

I still have a couple of cookbooks begging on that thread, by the way, although I think one may be on the verge of being claimed.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy

By: Odile Redon, et al. Looks interesting,

Indonesian Regional Food and Cookery

By: Sri Owen. Have wnated this fantastic book for a long time

Splendid Table: 500 Years of Eating in Northern Italy By: L.R. Kasper. Wow, what a wonderful book, pity about the quality of the photgraphs.

I'm down 2 books because of the Free Cookbooks! thread, but since they went to other eGulleteers the overall count should be unchanged. I don't know whether either of the recipients has already weighed in here. I forgot to ask them to.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My neighbor is having garage sale and I picked up: Essentials of Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan for .25 !!!!

It's in excellent ( never been read/ used) condition. Besides the fact that it cost only a quarter... my 7th grade daughter bought it for me :wub: .

Other than that... I'll have to do a re-count. I haven't been keeping track.

Does FG's book count? I mean, it's about food.....

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I have about 80 at the moment... though probably about 20 more in storage waiting to go to the used book store.

Funny, I thought I had more.... must go cookbook shopping :wub:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

• 2 weeks later...

Must add five to my total; The Best Food Writing (series) 2001,2002,2003 & 2004.

Hopefully 2005 will be a Christmas presant from my son... and Alton Brown's I'm Only Here for The Food for $3.00 from the library store. :wub: That place is GREAT!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Add 1 more for me: Molto Italiano. It arrived at my house for inspection because either I forgot to tell the club not to send it (I do dither on occasion) or they decided to ignore me (also happens). Its fate hung in the balance for a while: I have too many cookbooks/that's not possible; space & money vs. gorgeous photos; then somebody made gnocchi from one of his recipes over on the Fresh Pasta cookoff. I was undone.

So much for unloading cookbooks. My poor husband. :raz:

I haven't yet counted my existing collection, but I just added in the last month:

James Peterson's Glorious French Food ($6.99 at The Christmas Tree Shop) :biggrin:

Classic Home Desserts, Richard Sax

A Taste of Country Cooking, Edna Lewis

Bread, Eric Treuille

Iced Tea, Fred Thompson

Preserves, Lindy Wildsmith

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

24 so far...but it's my birthday this weekend, so hopefully I'll be adding to that tally! :biggrin:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

• 3 weeks later...

OK, lets see here; Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I'm Only Here for the Food, an international cookbook whose name escapes me, and Marcella Says; so that's four more for me! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"