• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 4)

Marlene

Three recent acquisitions for me:

"The Classic Art of Viennese Pastry" by Christine Berl

"The Baker's Dozen Cookbook" edited by Rick Rodgers

and

"The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook" by Matt Lee and Ted Lee

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about Christmas, but I do know that a new Costco opening in the neighbourhood last week means that I have 2 new cookbooks. Another 1 because I got the new Norene Gilletz when she was in town last week. Add another 6 that I've received in the last month.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter sent me a signed copy of Alice Waters' new cookbook, The Art of Simple Food.

Just casually flipping thorough it I have already stuck Post-it notes on several pages with recipes I want to try ASAP.

I also received a package of eight cookbooks by James Peterson from a friend who found a box of cookbooks in a thrift store and I don't think I have any of these.

So far The Duck Cookbook looks really interesting.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

I just couldn't resist a remaindered copy of Ripert/Ruhlman's A Return to Cooking. Sigh.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Oh dear, I'm obviously addicted - about 5000 and still counting - Gordon Ramsay's Chef and Francesco's Kitchen for Christmas with about 7 other historical books and 10 still to come to add to the Italian and Indian sections..... How do people sort them or has this been asked before?

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Culinary Artistry, Dornenburg and Page. I got one for some friends as a Festivus present, and of course I had to buy one for myself as well.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Those monthly "Please come back to us and get 4 books for $1 plus your first purchase at half price" emails from The Good Cook finally bludgeoned me into submission. Well, that, along with a desire to both own The Elements of Cooking and to get one as a present for a friend. I have to buy only one more over the next year, at the club price, so that's not bad at all.

The damages:

The Elements of Cooking

Chocolate & Zucchini

What's a Cook to Do?

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two (for Ms. Alex)

• 3 weeks later...

Two more for me "Nanny Ogg's Cookbook" and "The Recipe Hall of Fame Quick and Easy Cookbook" Nanny Ogg's is a Terry Pratchet book, and like most of his stuff, is screamingly funny. I doubt I'll ever cook from it, but it's ROTFLMAO funny.

Quick and Easy, on the other hand has some very tasty sounding stuff, like an apple salad with caramel... YUM! :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"