• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 3)

Get Saucy. I took this out of the library to audition and liked it so much I bought a copy.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Seven more for me!!!

True Blueberry by Linda Dannenberg, Berry Bible by Janie Hibler (it IS berry season, no?) , Classic Food of Northern Italy by Anna Del Conte

In French: Gastronomie et forêt , Ma Cuisine par Gérard Depardieu, Le Canard de Julie;

Canadian: Marion Kane's Dish (great read!!) :wub:

This should keep me busy!!

I think it was Day-Lewis' "Tarts with Tops On" that I saw, so I'll have to check next time I'm there.  "Thinking man's Nigella" works for me.

I'm so glad y'all discussed her further; I just got the joke in the title. :laugh: If she's that good, I'll have to keep an eye out for that book - thereby ensuring that I'll have more baking books than people for whom to bake!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just counted, and I have 228 cookbooks in the house. But to be fair, only 51 of those are my personal collection. 103 I have for sale on Amazon, and 74 more is the start of collecting for my own website, where I'll be selling used cookbooks. I want to get at least 1000 before I start it up.

I'm scouring the yard sales and used book stores, and hope to have enough by December.

Some of my personal cookbooks are in really bad shape from having been used so hard. Most of them are in my kitchen. Then there are others that I just look through for inspiration. Joy of Cooking, the two most recent editions, live in the kitchen, although I don't actually use the latest one very much. I find that I get most of my actual recipes online now.

I humbly bow down in the face of those with far more cookbooks than I even have bookshelf space. Seriously, where do some of you put your cookbooks?

Edited by Maria (log)

Three more: Rick Bayless's Authentic Mexican, Paul Bertholli's Cooking by Hand, and Lynne Rossetto Kasper's Splendid Table, all on supercheap remainder -- which just goes to show you that the world is a wacky, upside-down sort of place, don't cha think?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I humbly bow down in the face of those with far more cookbooks than I even have bookshelf space.  Seriously, where do some of you put your cookbooks?

My ex (I miss my handyman, if nothing else) built a custom set of bookshelves to house my cookbooks. The exact measurements were taken from the size of the binders which hold my Gourmet magazines from back in the 40s, so many binders per shelf. This was great, but I forgot that I have to stop buying books for them all to fit. Have started passing on hardback and paperback fiction to my niece, but not the cookbooks yet.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I humbly bow down in the face of those with far more cookbooks than I even have bookshelf space.  Seriously, where do some of you put your cookbooks?

My ex (I miss my handyman, if nothing else) built a custom set of bookshelves to house my cookbooks. The exact measurements were taken from the size of the binders which hold my Gourmet magazines from back in the 40s, so many binders per shelf. This was great, but I forgot that I have to stop buying books for them all to fit. Have started passing on hardback and paperback fiction to my niece, but not the cookbooks yet.

Wow! I envy you. My little condo is just getting fuller,FULLER and FULLER,and I still don't have nearly half what I lost in the fire. :sad:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I think the question for me is, "Seriously, where do some of you put your partners, children, pets, and furniture?" :raz:

I've got a bookshelf in the hall outside the kitchen for frequently used cookbooks, another in the hall upstairs for cooking reference and food history, and a third in the basement for the magazines (Gourmet, Saveur, Cooks) -- and for stuff I don't use very often but can't bring myself to throw away. Sure, my partner skoffs at me for much of that stuff, but maybe someone will come to dinner and refuse to eat anything but lizard cooked in the Panamanian style -- and then who's laughing?!? Am I right, people?!?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I own about +/- 350 Cookbooks in several Languages...

My absolute diamond is a signed copy from the great Alain Chapel which i wouldn´t sell even if i have to cut off my left thumb...

...but i would sell my left thumb for a good offer !

maybe someone will come to dinner and refuse to eat anything but lizard cooked in the Panamanian style -- and then who's laughing?!? Am I right, people?!?

As long as someone else has to catch the lizard...

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I think the question for me is, "Seriously, where do some of you put your partners, children, pets, and furniture?" :raz:

I am currently working as a traveling nurse, and thusly most of my 1000+ collection is in storage. I do travel with about 200+ cookbooks, packed in about 5 heavy boxes in my van, when I am on the move. Lately, I have been collecting more (which I have to list here eventually) and now I have had to go up to 6 boxes of books. This doesn't leave much room in my van for other essential cooking equipment, and things like clothes, laptop, etc.

When I go through all the books to see what I can weed out to cut down on the load, it is agonizing. I have some of my books in my cabin in Idyllwild now...and when I go back in September, I am going to have to weed out more from what I am carrying about.

People look at me really strangely when I tell them I carry around this many cookbooks: they simply don't comprehend why someone would want all these cookbooks with them. I try to tell them they feed my soul, and the side benefit is that I get to cook great food out of them.

At the moment I carry around with me 2 folding bookcases, which are loaded with the cookbooks, when I don't have anywhere else to put them. At the apartment where I am now, there is a tall built in bookcase (about 7 feet) which has most of the shelves filled with my books.

. . . Sure, my partner skoffs at me for much of that stuff, but maybe someone will come to dinner and refuse to eat anything but lizard cooked in the Panamanian style -- and then who's laughing?!? Am I right, people?!?

100% correct, sir! I couldn't have said it better myself :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

We bought a bigger house. Lots of wall space for future acquisitions.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Since I am moving in 3 weeks, I decided that this was the perfect time to add 5 more books to my collection.

I decided to start packing my bookshelf this week, since I know how long it's going to take. I was hoping that once I weeded out all of the fiction that I don't want to keep, which I thought was going to be most of the shelf, I only had less than a dozen to get rid of and less than a dozen that I wanted to keep. My bookshelf is still overflowing with my cookbooks. I just can't bear to get rid of any of them.

Add 4 more for me.

Get Saucy

All about Braising - the thread convinced me to buy this

Used book store finds -

San Francisco A La Carte

Alton Brown's All About Food

Agree with chrisamirault, where do you put partners, pets, children?

I have magazines stacked beside my bed, in the bookcases and piles in the living room. If I decide that I can part with them, they only go to good homes where they will be appreciated & loved and passed on to others of like mind. But I still have about 400 magazines.

4 more arrived in the mail for me yesterday:

A Cook's Tour of Italy by Joe Famularo, bought on closeout

Steam Cooking by Kim Chung Lee

The Cook's Guide to Asian Ingredients, which (darn!) duplicates the ingredients section of a book I already have -- I'll probably give this one to my sister

Italian Cooking Class Cookbook (Australian Women's Weekly)

Where to put them? I have two 6' tall bookcases in the bedroom devoted to cookbooks: they're my bedtime reading!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs