• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 3)

3 more for me, courtesy of suzilightning. Thank you! :wub:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

One more - Jack Bishop's A Year in the Vegetarian Kitchen.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

One on purpose last week, Mario Batali's new Molto Italiano -- a real pleasure. Already had me hastening to grill some red bell peppers while the coals were burning down the other evening because I already had goat cheese like he said, and I'll be getting the giant cracked Sicilian olives before I want to serve -- it's that kind of book. Meaning, useful! And, has something I consider a personal Love Gift in any cookbook I care to use, a lovely placeholding ribbon, Mario's signature orange in this case.

And one by accident, Paul Bocuse in Your Kitchen, an excellent addition.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I downloaded Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management from Project Gutenberg.  ... For those who aren't familiar with it, this is one of the great Victorian best-sellers.

Yes: though not common in the US, Beeton is something of a national cookbook in Great Britain -- people from there have referred to "Mrs. Beeton" as a household phrase. (A bit like Escoffier in France, though his book is aimed at professional kitchens. More like Molokhovets in Russia.) In the US the closest parallel I've found -- which did not stay popular through the present day though it was phenomenally so in the 19th century and is still very useful -- was Eliza Leslie. The Hesses (ISBN 0252068750) depict it as the main US cookbook of the 19th century. K. G. Bitting's standard US gastronomic bibliography describes scores of editions of Leslie's books through 1881. Her original is still, conveniently, available in paperback:

Eliza Leslie, Directions for Cookery, Philadelphia, 1837. 1999 Dover facsimile reprint, ISBN 0486406148 .

(In case it's of interest.) -- MH

I just spent an hour reading this thing to page 12, but I will come back to it sometime.

I count 139, but that's revolving, slowly getting bigger, but revolving. I recently had a nice acquisition, a couple of Petersons', one of the "Bible" books, Marcella Cucina, etc., and passed a few on, Sheraton World, Mrs. Ma's, John Ash, etc. My dad works for a library so I am always acquiring more. I've read alot of them through and I'm getting a house soon, so you never know. I really should take notes while on this thread. You folks know how happy this site has made me? I can't wait till I get some highspeed.

Welcome, coquus! Glad to have you join us. I need to update my count, there are five more making my bookshelves home; Gourmet, Best Food Writing 2000 (hey, it's a food book...)(thanks Suze!), The Mafia Cookbook, The Sopranos Cookbook,and The Wiseguy Cookbook. I grew up in New Jersey and found that I even KNEW a few of the people Joe Dogs writes about... I expect that I'll give them away or trade them after I read them, but right now they're still new to me. :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

... The Mafia Cookbook, The Sopranos Cookbook,and The Wiseguy Cookbook. ...

Do I detect a theme here? Is there something you aren't telling us about yourself, Judiu? :raz:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

... The Mafia Cookbook, The Sopranos Cookbook,and The Wiseguy Cookbook. ...

Do I detect a theme here? Is there something you aren't telling us about yourself, Judiu? :raz:

No, they just kept doing that "people who have bought this book also bought" thing on Amazon, and since I was buying used, I bought! :biggrin:

Been lurking for a few months and finally joined so I count add my count to the larger number. 144 for me. Just picked up Sunset's "Adventures in Food" 1964 edition and "Dungeness Crabs and Blackberry Cobblers" for $2 at an antique store.

Been lurking for a few months and finally joined so I count add my count to the larger number.  144 for me.  Just picked up Sunset's "Adventures in Food" 1964 edition and "Dungeness Crabs and Blackberry Cobblers" for $2 at an antique store.

Hi jackieg, and welcome! Hum...shopping for cookbooks at antique stores. Yes, you definitely belong here! :laugh:

I love Maida Heatter, even though baking sweets is not my usual focus, and yesterday I found another of her books: Maida Heatter's New Book of Great Desserts.

Heatter's knowledge and enthusiasm are infectious. Plus, it was a savory cracker recipe which leapt out as an obvious to-try, rather than a pesky sweet.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

One on purpose last week, Mario Batali's new Molto Italiano -- a real pleasure.  Already had me hastening to grill some red bell peppers while the coals were burning down the other evening because I already had goat cheese like he said, and I'll be getting the giant cracked Sicilian olives before I want to serve -- it's that kind of book.  Meaning, useful!  And, has something I consider a personal Love Gift in any cookbook I care to use, a lovely placeholding ribbon, Mario's signature orange in this case.

Thanks for the report Proscilla. I've been eyeing Molto every time we go to the bookstore. Think I'll pick it up now.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 2 weeks later...

The spouse gifted me with the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. It's two volumes.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I was at a book sale for charity yesterday - just to help out, of course. Not planning on buying anything. As I was helping box up the books that didn't sell, I found a few gems, of course.

I came home with:

The Cuisines of Mexico by Diane Kennedy

French Provinicial Cooking by Elizabeth David

Total Cost: $1

Robin Tyler McWaters

I just moved into a new house a month ago and for the first time ever I have all my cookbooks in one room and am now able to count them effectively.

478 including 33 on the way from bookcloseouts.com.

When I counted them last week I immediately decided that I really needed more...it's a sickness, I know. :biggrin:

“How can a nation be great if its bread tastes like Kleenex?”

-Julia Child

Reconstruction progresses; I got How to Cook Everything, How to Cook Everything The Basics and Simplicity From A Monestery Kitchen, all from Amazon;

The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook and an old Italian cookbook reprint, both from the Friends of the Library store for $1 each(SCORE!) :raz:

I received a very nice box from Jessica's Biscuit with a copy of Emily Luccheti's A Passion for Desserts. Those sale emails are dangerous.

two more lowdown ebay scores for me...

Everything Indian by Monica Bhide

Vatch's Thai Cookbook

:biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Finally, finally received the Frog Commissary Cookbook today, after several unsucessful attempts to obtain it. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

2 more for me from Costco - one for appetizers and one for salads by no one I've ever heard of before. But it looks like there will be some great summer stuff in both of them.

I now have a space on my bookshelf out at the cottage for cookbooks and other food-related books. Harold McGee's book is some interesting reading when the weather is lousy out there.

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.