• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 3)

I got Food and Drink in America from Amazon yesterday. Should I count both volumes, I wonder?

If I do, that will bring the total up to 1,386.

I'm trying to think of ways to get my son to move out of the house. I really need his room for my books ...

For all newcomers to this thread (welcome!) be assured that I am a piker in comparison to the heavy-hitters here. And come to think of it, I haven't had a new cb since a buddy sent me Bouchon for Christmas. I get paid next Friday.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

For all newcomers to this thread (welcome!) be assured that I am a piker in comparison to the heavy-hitters here.  And come to think of it, I haven't had a new cb since a buddy sent me Bouchon for Christmas. I get paid next Friday.

So, who are the heaviest hitters? I haven't read through all 52 pages of this thread yet.

How are your/their cookbooks organized? By title? Author? Cuisine? Dewey decimal system?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

How are your/their cookbooks organized? By title? Author? Cuisine? Dewey decimal system?

Organized? We're supposed to have them organized? I can't even find the boxes most of them are in... :blink:

My cookbooks are organized, sort of. Meaning that when I need a title, I can usually find it without looking too hard. I've a couple of bookcases where the books are organized by country of origin (going around the world: Iceland, Faroe Islands, Norway ... ending with books from Ecuador). In other cases, books are organized by cuisine, ingredient, author, language, etc.

I also keep a part of my collection at work because I need the books there. Of course I also need them at home, so I'm lugging cookbooks back and forth all the time.

Of course I also need them at home, so I'm lugging cookbooks back and forth all the time.

Yesterday I made a half-hearted stab at cleaning out the car. On the back seat under the detritus of umbrellas, scarves, bills and Wednesday food sections I found three cookbooks that had gone missing for longer than I care to contemplate.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

[Yesterday I made a half-hearted stab at cleaning out the car.  On the back seat under the detritus of umbrellas, scarves, bills and Wednesday food sections I found three cookbooks that had gone missing for longer than I care to contemplate.

:laugh: Don't you love it when you "discover" a cookbook (or three) gone astray?? They almost count as new cookbooks!

[Yesterday I made a half-hearted stab at cleaning out the car.  On the back seat under the detritus of umbrellas, scarves, bills and Wednesday food sections I found three cookbooks that had gone missing for longer than I care to contemplate.

:laugh: Don't you love it when you "discover" a cookbook (or three) gone astray?? They almost count as new cookbooks!

Especially when you haven't read them yet! :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I have acquired 57 new cookbooks during the past four months. (These are the ones I have stacked next to my desk, I think I have bought others but am not sure where they are at the moment.)

One is also a murder mystery, Sugar Cookie Murder, by Joanne Fluke.

The first half of the book is the mystery, 168 pages.

The second half of the book is the cookbook, more than 50 recipes from appetizers such as Spinach Rollups to soups such as Sally's Radish Soup and all the way through to desserts such as Pecan Pie for a Holiday Crowd and drinks such as Dimpled Duchess and ending with "Extras (that didn't fit anywhere else)" .......

I enjoyed the mystery and am going to try several of the recipes. I have met the author (lives in the SF Valley) and have made recipes from her earlier books and all have been excellent.

I recommend it without reservation.

My housekeeper has been doing some cleaning of the bookcases in a couple of the rooms and so far has counted more than 2100 cookbooks, many mixed in with other books. Since I also have a lot of cookbooks packed away in footlockers in my storage building, I apparently have a lot more than I estimated earlier in this thread, when I posted on May 1, 2004, that I had "well over a thousand" cookbooks.

The last time I cataloged my books (not just cookbooks), in 1999, I had listed 826 cookbooks in storage and 912 in the bookcases dedicated to cookbooks. Apparently I had a lot distributed througout the bookcases in the house or I have managed to acquire more than a thousand in the past five years. Some did arrive as part of a private library I bought at auction (purchased mainly because of the many dog books, natural history books and early 20th century literature books, which I also collect.)

Anka still has two rooms to go in her cleaning and I can't even begin to estimate how many cookbooks might be in those bookcases as they should be mostly fiction, science fiction/fantasy and mysteries.

My best estimate at present is that I have 3170 cookbooks which is about 1500 more than I estimated last year and with the additions I listed prior to today.

Amazing, I had no idea there were so many.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

85, 131, with andie's update. If Deloitte and Touche were to move in here for an audit, I might be a few books off. It works out to about 6 cookbooks per registered eGullet member, but I haven't had about 14000 members post their numbers here.

16.123 miles. Halfway to my goal -- I live thirty miles from chefg's new restaurant.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I have acquired 57 new cookbooks during the past four months.  (These are the ones I have stacked next to my desk, I think I have bought others but am not sure where they are at the moment.) 

I recommend it without reservation. 

My housekeeper has been doing some cleaning of the bookcases in a couple of the rooms and so far has counted more than 2100 cookbooks, many mixed in with other books.  Since I also have a lot of cookbooks packed away in footlockers in my storage building, I apparently have a lot more than I estimated earlier in this thread, when I posted on May 1, 2004, that I had "well over a thousand" cookbooks. 

My best estimate at present is that I have 3170 cookbooks which is about 1500 more than I estimated last year and with the additions I listed prior to today. 

:blink: Andie, when are you going to blog for us? You have so much experience and knowledge - and cookbooks - to share.

Add twenty-four (24) to the total. I went on a shopping spree today.

There's a book store in Pasadena that's having a "huge book sale" through the month of March, 35% off!! And I went to another used book store and bought some more.

Included are: Larousse gastronomique (1st Amer. ed., 1961); Time-Life International Cookbook; 13 books from the Time-Life Foods of the World series; 9 spiral-bound booklets "Recipes" from the Time-Life Foods of the World series.

Excluding the Larousse book, the other books averaged out to be $7.50/book. I suppose that's not bad, ehh??

At 35% off, I might go back and buy some more cookbooks. The more you buy, the more you save, right??

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

There's a book store in Pasadena that's having a "huge book sale" through the month of March, 35% off!! And I went to another used book store and bought some more.

Which bookstores are these? I am currently in Chino Hills, so I could get to those bookstores. Like I need another cookbook..... :wink:

Which bookstores are these?  I am currently in Chino Hills, so I could get to those bookstores.  Like I need another cookbook.....  :wink:

The bookstores are: Book Alley & Cliff's Books, both in Pasadena on Colorado Blvd. near Vroman's. Book Alley is having the book sale, so please don't buy my books, okay?? :wink:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I have acquired 57 new cookbooks during the past four months.  (These are the ones I have stacked next to my desk, I think I have bought others but am not sure where they are at the moment.)  

:blink: Andie, when are you going to blog for us? You have so much experience and knowledge - and cookbooks - to share.

Something is in the works, not a blog, but watch for it in late April, asuming all goes well.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

And don't forget

Cook Books by Janet Jarvis

Specializing in used, rare and out-of-print books.

1388 E. Washington Blvd.

Pasadena, CA

626/296-1638

Mecca for the cookbook lover.

and in Los Angeles proper

NOTE

The Cook's Library

8373 West Third Street

Los Angeles, CA

323/655-3141

85,284.  A friend gave me a Trinidadian cookbook last night, which I stupidly forgot at his house. Duh me.

85, 285.

What a coincidence! Last week a friend brought me a Trinidadian cookbook too. :wink:

Add another one to the tally. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

85,284.  A friend gave me a Trinidadian cookbook last night, which I stupidly forgot at his house. Duh me.

85, 285.

What a coincidence! Last week a friend brought me a Trinidadian cookbook too. :wink:

Add another one to the tally. :smile:

=R=

Giggle. 85, 286. The thing Iklove about that cookbook is that it appears to have been assembled and published by a girls' high school in Trinidad. Totally charming. Plus: much of it is indescipherable outside the Carribean. I like a cookbook with a little mystery.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Which bookstores are these? I am currently in Chino Hills, so I could get to those bookstores. Like I need another cookbook..... :wink:

Thank you for the heads up re book sale! I'm going there this weekend. :biggrin: