• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 3)

Where do you order cookbooks from? I tried Jessicas ecookbook.com but it was a total ripoff as they lied about shipping

Any other suggestions?

Could you elaborate as to what was a rip off and what they lied about? I've ordered from them once before with no problem and was considering doing so again but will wait until I hear back from you with regard to your experience.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Actually the ripoff part was in regards to their shipping. The catalogue I got for winter 2004 syas they ship to the continental U.S., Hawaii and Alaska, Canada as well as U.S. possessions.

Then it says shipping is free with a order of $25 or more.

But when I tried to order they told me its only for the continental U.S. even though it never states that anywhere in their catalogue or order form and instead wanted to charge $10 +$5/book for shipping

Numbers are cool, and are the point of this thread..but it's the titles that make the rest of us drool.... So when you say 5, or 7 or whatever....which ones??? Anything we haven't discovered yet?? :smile:

I have started sneaking cookbooks into my house when he isn't looking  :biggrin:

You too? :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Received the new Gourmet cookbook for Xmas (yes, the yellow titles are a bitch, but I've decided to pen over them with black ball point every time I make a recipe).

And, with a bookstore gift certificate, purchased two I've been drooling over -- Breath of the Wok and the Molly Stevens Braising book.

I've renewed these from the library to the point where I can't anymore, so just had to. Since gift certificate, I didn't need to sneak them in the house.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking for Christmas, oh joy, oh boy! Great reading, but sharing time with the library loaner of Jeffrey Steingarten's It Must Have Been Something I Ate, requested in November and turned up during the holidays. I'm double-dipping, so to speak, and far too distracted with the idea of cookery to do anything like real work since the holiday season. Meanwhile, I've inherited a few cookbooks from my mother, who's downsizing. I now have 2 copies of Joy of Cooking, some 40 years apart. The later version can't count in this thread, since it was in my first book count, but I've added Frank Stitt's Southern Kitchen, at least, and I bet a couple more, since I admitted to my pathology on this thread. Add 4 for me, for easy figuring.

Snowangel, I thought about the Gourmet cookbook but didn't go for it - mostly because of my backlog, I admit. What do you like about it, especially? Anything (other than the yellow titles) that you don't like?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Actually the ripoff part was in regards to their shipping.  The catalogue I got for winter 2004 syas they ship to the continental U.S., Hawaii and Alaska, Canada as well as U.S. possessions.

But when I tried to order they told me its only for the continental U.S. even though it never states that anywhere in their catalogue or order form and instead wanted to charge $10 +$5/book for shipping

It took me 2 clicks to get to this:

FREE SHIPPING MADE EASY — ALL PRODUCTS QUALIFY!

To get free shipping:

• Buy $25 or more (shipped to a single U.S. address)

• Select the Standard Delivery shipping method

THAT'S IT!

PLEASE NOTE:

Free shipping only available for orders shipping within the Continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. Territories. Standard Delivery is provided by the U.S. Postal Service. Packages sent via the U.S. Postal Service are tracked only from the time they leave our warehouse until the time they are delivered to the U.S. Postal Service. For faster delivery, choose another shipping method.

I've been buying from them for years and years, and never found them to be dishonest in any way. Dare I suggest that you just thought you saw the inclusion of Canada?

Numbers are cool, and are the point of this thread..but it's the titles that make the rest of us drool.... So when you say 5, or 7 or whatever....which ones???  Anything we haven't discovered yet?? :smile:

Sorry, I was in a hurry! Absolutely right of you to remind us.

Bouchon by Thomas Keller

The French Laundry by Thomas Keller

East of Paris-New Quisines of Austria and the Danube by David Bouley

Redefined American Quisine-The Inn at Little Washington by Patrick O'Connell

I'm Just Here for More Food by Alton Brown

Titles everyone else has, I'm sure. But they are new and very fantastic to me!

Actually the ripoff part was in regards to their shipping.  The catalogue I got for winter 2004 syas they ship to the continental U.S., Hawaii and Alaska, Canada as well as U.S. possessions.

It took me 2 clicks to get to this:

FREE SHIPPING MADE EASY — ALL PRODUCTS QUALIFY!

To get free shipping:

• Buy $25 or more (shipped to a single U.S. address)

• Select the Standard Delivery shipping method

THAT'S IT!

PLEASE NOTE:

Free shipping only available for orders shipping within the Continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. Territories. Standard Delivery is provided by the U.S. Postal Service. Packages sent via the U.S. Postal Service are tracked only from the time they leave our warehouse until the time they are delivered to the U.S. Postal Service. For faster delivery, choose another shipping method.

I've been buying from them for years and years, and never found them to be dishonest in any way. Dare I suggest that you just thought you saw the inclusion of Canada?

Isn't Canada part of the Continental U.S.? :wink:

:ducks very quickly:

Not kidding: Amazon.ca offers free shipping on orders over $39 Canadian.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Nope, just checked again. They must have screwed up in their catalog. I had not gone to their website to order but did it by fax based on the catalog.

And ripoff or not, they aint worth ordering from in canada with those shipping costs

I like amazon actually. I use amazon.ca quite a lot and oddly enough Sams Club is tending to be a good place for cookbooks now

Edited by Bacchusrogue (log)

Costco is good-bought Baking Illustrated there. There are also great deals to be had in used cookbooks listed on Amazon. I've had positive experiences with quick shippers. Shipping for these is a flat rate established by Amazon--$3.50 or something reasonable. Probably not to Canada, though. :wink:

Where do you order cookbooks from? I tried Jessicas ecookbook.com but it was a total ripoff as they lied about shipping

Any other suggestions?

As for recent purchases: I've been having fun and success with The Bread Bible lately. Made a great sweet potato bread. And my Scharffen Berger unsweetened chocolate is on order to facilitate cooking fun with Bittersweet: Recipes and Tales from a Life in Chocolate.

48, if I'm counting correctly.

My oldest is a Chatelaine Magazine general cookbook that was my grandmother's; it includes her clippings from The Vancouver Sun and other places for some dreadful stuff I'd never make but I wouldn't get rid of them for anything. :wub:

My newest are the big Gourmet one and the Cook's Illustrated baking one (woo!), and the new Jamie Oliver. My two most-books cooks are Jamie (I get a new one each Christmas) and Jacques Pépin, bless him. La Méthode was the first serious cookbook I ever got.

My two prettiest are the Lumière book and the Bishop's book, both designed by a guy I was lucky enough to take a design class with at Simon Fraser University.

The only one I've gotten overseas is Alastair Little's Keep it Simple, which is a nice little book.

The type of cooking with the most representation is baking, specifically wedding cakes: I'm baking one for my girlfriend's wedding in a few weeks (eek!).

The one to which I refer most often is probably my (updated) Fanny Farmer, just a really good general cookbook. That or Jacques Pépin's Sweet Simplicity for Mémé's Apple Tart, which is Deborah's Apple Tart as well :biggrin:

People think I'm weird because I will spend a day reading cookbooks. Well, you people don't, I'm sure. That's why I like it here!!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Alex: The RCMP can make it to Grand Rapids in about four hours, if I call my sources!

77, 474. Hey, no! 77,475 I received Bouchon this week from a friend -- that photo of the Croque Madame almost made me faint.

Hey! That's 77,476. I gave Bouchon to an eGullet buddy who has yet to post it here.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I came home from a very long day at the office to a big, big box with 4 more for me :biggrin:

Paula Wolfert's Mediterranean Grains and Greens

Joyce Goldstein's Sephardic Flavors: Jewish Cooking of the Mediterranean

John Ash Cooking One on One

Alford and Deguid Home Baking

We've been getting catalogues from Edward R. Hamilton for years and I just learned they have a web site -- they have great prices. (hamiltonbook.com)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Alford and Deguid Home Baking

We've been getting catalogues from Edward R. Hamilton for years and I just learned they have a web site -- they have great prices. (hamiltonbook.com)

Oh bovie, you will :wub: Home Baking! And thanks for the tip about hamiltonbooks.com!

I have another 2 more to add.  Harold McGee, On Food and Cooking and Michael Ruhlman, Soul of a Chef.  Loving both of them.

Oh, YEAH! The neatest thing about that Ruhlman book is that it's really three books in one. So if you don't have time to read it all the way through at once, you can just do one part and come back for the others later.

And I don't care what Bourdain says, this guy is a very, very good writer. :wink:

I used my Barnes & Nobles Christmas gift card today and am thrilled with my six new books:

Jeffery Alford & Naomi Duguid: Hot Sour Salty Sweet

Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook

Alton Brown: I'm Just Here for the Food

John Folse: The Evolution of Cajun and Creole Cuisine

Madhur Jaffrey: Indian Cooking

Alice Waters: Chez Panisse Vegetables

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

77,575. 14.69 miles.

I love "Soul of a Chef," too, and exactly because you have three tightly-written suspenseful pieces. I remember the people vividly, and wasn't suprised when I saw that Steve, the big country club chef who was the only Master Chef winner is now heading up a new culinary program in the Chicago area. I remember his horrible head cold, his sports jacket, and that "He's cooking with some soul." Terrific writing.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com