• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 3)

Oh, I love Christmas

Signed copy of The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook

Hot Sour Salty Sweet

Feast

The German Cookbook

12 Seasons

Time-Life Food of the World Series:

Cooking of America,

Cooking of the Viennese Empire

Cooking of Russia

Cooking of Scandinavia

a Quintet of Cuisines

Madelaine Kamen's The Making of a Cook

William Sonoma's Paris (with the CD too)

Another 11 to the list! Wahoo! :biggrin:

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

two new ones for me...

Jasper White's, New England Cooking

&

David Bouley's, East of Paris: The New Cuisines of Austria and the Danube.

both fulfillments of wishes on my Christmas list...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The first night of Chanukah brought me the Bouchon cookbook.

It seems that Blovie bought this as a temporary replacement for The French Laundry cookbook. He has since done an exchange.

TFL is a gorgeous book. And I've actually discovered some recipes that aren't over my head!! :biggrin:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The first night of Chanukah brought me the Bouchon cookbook.

It seems that Blovie bought this as a temporary replacement for The French Laundry cookbook. He has since done an exchange.

TFL is a gorgeous book. And I've actually discovered some recipes that aren't over my head!! :biggrin:

But . . . does that mean he took Bouchon back to the store? :sad: Or that he kept it to cook out of himself, and gave you the biggie?? :biggrin:

Bouchon has been returned. Not to worry though. Considering the way I acquire cookbooks, I'll get again.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

And what about all those Amazon and Borders and B & N gift certificates you reaped during the holidays? The second retail season is here, folks.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Bouchon has been returned.  Not to worry though.  Considering the way I acquire cookbooks, I'll get again.

:sad: Non, non,non...What's wrong with giving you BOTH? You're deserving!

As much as I want Bouchon, I'm trying to convince him to give me The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. before it goes up in price.

:blink: I can't believe this...! A friend came over for dinner last night and brought me A Matter of Taste by Lucy Waverman and James Chatto. The book is gorgeous!! And...had a GC which got me Baking Illustrated by the Editors of Cook's Illustrated Magazine.

My shelves are now groaning...I'll need another bookcase (and floor space to accomodate it...) :wacko:

Latest order from Jessica's Biscuit:

Cheeses of the World, Barthélemy and Sperat-Czar

Think Like a Chef, Colicchio (finally remaindered, yay!) Oops, I already had this one. :rolleyes: PM or e-mail me if you'd like my extra copy.

The Cook's Essential Kitchen Dictionary, Jacques L. Rolland (I'm getting more into things Canadian)

The Kitchen Hand, a miscellany of kitchen wisdom, Anthony Telford (ditto, Australian)

Handy Pocket Guide to Asian Vegetables, one of the Periplus Nature Guides

Kitchen Utensils: Names, Origins, and Definitions Through the Ages, Phillips V. Brooks

The Cheese Companion (2nd edition), Judy Ridgway/Sara Hill

Homestyle Thai and Indonesian Cooking, Sri Owen (this was the freebie)

and, because I'm a good little Bourdain groupie, Hotel Bemelmans.

So that's 9 more. Well, it WAS just my birthday. :rolleyes:

I'm a little disappointed in the Periplus book, but curious about some of the others in the series, one on Asian Herbs and Spices and another on Tropical Fruit. Does anyone know these books? Do they have good detail, or do they just have the same info one can get elsewhere? The only new info I can see in the vegetable book is that it gives the botanical name plus the Thai, Malay, Indonesian, and Filipino names.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

I'm a little disappointed in the Periplus book...

i totally agree with you - it's one useless book. In fact, as much as i love Wendy Hutton (i probably have all of her books), her much anticipated Cook's Guide To Asian Vegetables (the extended version of the one you got) was quite disappointing. I mean, the book is nice, but Schneider set the bar too high: so far i succeeded to find there all asian vegetables including this elusive indian tindora.

Add 9 more for me including Bouchon -- the roasted beet/mache salad is wonderful!!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I realized when I glanced through this today that I've been remiss in reporting, although not in acquiring. Mostly they were on sale for absurdly low prices, so that's my excuse.

Some appetizer/tapas/small plates books: Surreal Gourmet Bites, Clifford Wright's Little Foods of the Mediterranean, the Joy of Cooking collection All About Party Foods. On hold at the store until the next sale starts is also Little Italian Bites by Carol Field, so you may as well add that in.

A couple of pressure cooker books. Paula Wolfert's Couscous, Flo Braker's Perfect Art of Simple Baking, and three or four more, which I can't quite exactly recall right now.

Also, signed copies of Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way and The Apprentice (not on sale but how could I resist having M. Pepin sign my books?); ditto for Bourdain's Les Halles and Alice Medrich's Bittersweet. On Food and Cooking, sadly, not signed, because Harold McGee didn't come to the store for a signing -- it was cancelled.

So that's -- well, let's call it 15 more.

Cook's Illus. New Best Recipe and Lewis & Peacock's Southern cookbook for Christmas. Ordered these: 2 low carb & coconut oil diet cookbooks, Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating, Sheraton's Eating My Words and Sutherland's Cookoff: Recipe Fever in America.

Seven in all.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I have 73, but only because my husband has a conniption when I buy more (I should add that the poor man is drowning in a sea of cooking magazines and printed recipes, as well. Not to mention my fetish for fiction and non-fiction unrelated to cooking). I have started sneaking cookbooks into my house when he isn't looking :biggrin: