• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 3)

72, 993.  And Tim, we cherish our TL "Foods of the World" on this thread.  Come to think of it, why don't they reissue it --no updates, no changes.

I certainly cherish my set-painstakingly collected one book at a time. Even better-why don't they publish them as they were, but with a sequel chapter explaining how life has (and hasn't) changed since the book was written. I'd love to know if Germans still pick their employer based on the food, or if French women still get to go home from work and cook a two-hour multi-course lunch for their family, etc....

Likely around 70 including numerous cooking school text books. It's a riot going to the real old ones and reading the reasons for some of the steps. Then going to McGee and having the entire premise thrown out of the window as an old wive's tale.

Would love to get my hands on an affordable "El Bulli" book.

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal. (The Simpsons)

90. But if I could salvage How to Cook Everything (Bittman), Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone (Madison), and The Italian Country Table (Rosetto Kasper) from the ashes of a hypothetical fire I would probably be just fine. Oh, and hopefully I could save the new American Pie (Reinhart) as well--instructions for the best pizza that could ever possibly come out of my oven.

Newbies: You and your cookbooks are welcome here at eGullet.  Let's hear more from you--about everything.

Late to jump on the bookwagon, I know, but I've been fairly cowed by the prospect of adding my meager 42-book total to a list that includes 1,000+ book collections. Mind you, that's 42 and counting...

:rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Newbies: You and your cookbooks are welcome here at eGullet.  Let's hear more from you--about everything.

Late to jump on the bookwagon, I know, but I've been fairly cowed by the prospect of adding my meager 42-book total to a list that includes 1,000+ book collections. Mind you, that's 42 and counting...

:rolleyes:

Well, we all had to start somewhere! What's amazing to me is that it was only a few years ago that I had, oh, 5 cookbooks to my name. Now the shelves are bulging. Don't worry, Mooshmouse, this thread will lead you into temptation - er, I mean, inspire you! :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have culled my cookbook collection recently to fit onto one small bookcase in the kitchen (but I did bring most of the "culling" to work for our impromptu library, so I guess I can still count them.) Let's see, I think that brings it to at least 33. I check out a lot from the library and of course use the Internet more and more. I do have a couple more that I want to have to round out the collection - I still have a few more inches in the bookcase!

Judiu - Is that address you have still valid? I have a couple of books that need a good home!

marie-louise: I like your take on the reissue of the TL series: leave perfection alone, but add an update.

Darcie-B, Wine_Dad and any other newcomers to eGullet: We're so glad to have you here.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

27?I'm missing a few. After gazing at my shelves, there are a couple of other gems, a 1961 Larousse, Jane Grigson,"The Art of Charcuterie"1st American edition, A really old Point "Ma Gastronomie", and some crazy Japanese-French books.

I own 354 cookbooks with 2 on order. I am even a chef. I am an architect.

There have been a few cookbook/recipe threads happening recently.  I simply want to know, as a strictly academic exercise, how many cookbooks the greater eGullet commumity owns.  End to end, would they circle the world?

C'mon, take a few minutes or half an hour.  Post the totals here.  And it ain't some friggin' contest!  Many great cooks have few books, and many non-cooks own lots.

Food magazines don't count.

I'll keep a running total.  Awbrig, don't forget to count the Nancy Silverton book we borrowed.

It's relaxing.  Glass of wine in hand, go out there and count.

Got some new cookbooks today...it was time to clean out some of my other books anyway, so I took them to the used bookstore, got $60 in trade and spent it all in one shot! (and then some :) )

I got:

Staff Meals at Chanterelle by David Waltuck and Melicia Phillips

Simple to Spectacular by Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Mark Bittman

The Olives Table by Todd English and Sally Sampson

The Pie and Pastry Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum

How to Cook by Delia Smith

The Essential Cook Book by Caroline Conran

35 :shock: this is the first time i've counted them, didn't realize i had that many. but it includes my top 5: the french laundry cookbook, the joy of cooking, aquavit, the frugal gourmet cookbook, and maida heatter's great chocolate desserts (autographed!)

also on my kitchen shelves are 9 non-cookbooks but are related to food and cooking: cod, by mark kurlansky, salt, by same; caviar, california dish, by jeremiah tower; kitchen confidential; why we eat what we eat, by raymond sokolov; mcgee; and both the making and the soul of a chef, by michael ruhlman. my copy of culinary artistry is, sadly, awol. :sad:

Got some new cookbooks today...it was time to clean out some of my other books anyway, so I took them to the used bookstore, got $60 in trade and spent it all in one shot! (and then some :) )

I got:

Staff Meals at Chanterelle by David Waltuck and Melicia Phillips

Simple to Spectacular by Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Mark Bittman

The Olives Table by Todd English and Sally Sampson

The Pie and Pastry Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum

How to Cook by Delia Smith

The Essential Cook Book by Caroline Conran

I loove Staff Meals! Great recipes! I also have Simple to Spectacular, but I think so far all I've gotten out of it is a serious case of drooling. Same thing for the Pie and Pastry Bible...really, it's too bad I live with someone who rarely eats baked goods!

Does anyone have an opinion on Pepin's Fast Food My Way? I'm hearing it pushed a lot this week as a premium on my public radio station's fund drive. I already pledged and claimed Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but for a bit more (far more than the book costs, of course) I could get both.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I walked into a used bookstore while in Boston, came out with more than I can carry!! Nine more for me!!

7 volumes of the Times-Life Foods of the World series (at $2 each)

Elizabeth David's Nutmeg in the House

A book by Toulouse-Lautrec and friend called The Art of Cuisine

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Does anyone have an opinion on Pepin's Fast Food My Way? I'm hearing it pushed a lot this week as a premium on my public radio station's fund drive. I already pledged and claimed Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but for a bit more (far more than the book costs, of course) I could get both.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My, we have been busy and lucky!

Timh, I agree that the Grigson "Charcuterie" is a classic--my old paperback is falling apart. Smithy: Break out "Simple to Spectacular!" I made the Citrus Short Ribs on Sunday, and they were almost as good as the "Blovie, dear---TL's for two bucks????? Wow.

Welcome to eGullet , mike_r and designchick and virtualchuta --let's hear much more from you.

Alex, mon ami: St Jacques has never failed, and if the book has your stamp of approval, it's on my wishlist too.

Oops! I was waxing so jealous and enthusiastic and evangelical that I almost forgot the total: 73, 678.

(RETREVR---how many notebooks? :rolleyes: )

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

my Bouchon came in today, so add 1 more for me.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Hi maggiethecat,

I can give you an accurate count of 772 books!

To this number, I must add Bouchon (Keller), Workin' more kitchen sessions (Trotter), à la di Stasio (di Stasio) and Les Halles cookbook (Bourdain).

I have also at least a dozen of photocopies of books and many books in pdf format. Does it count ? :blink:

More to come, I'm sure ... :raz:

Serge

So far I have a total of 11 but if Santa is going to be good to me this year, it will soon be 14. I specially can't wait for The Soprano's Family Cookbook. I heard good things about that one.

Current:

Complete Chinese Cookbook

Quick & Easy Sushi

Quick & Easy Thai

Gourmet Gringo

Sushi for Dummies

Panini The Italian Way

The Book of Pasta

Fast & Easy Cooking

Fit it & Forget it crock pot recipes

The Breath of a Wok

Peterson's Essentials of Cooking

Xmas want's:

Peterson's Sauces

Julia Child Mastering the Art of French Cooking

The Soprano Family Cookbook.

Let's not forget the hundreds of recipes I've printed off the net. They're all organized in a 2.5 inch binder.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Add 74 for me - plus 3 on order.

Today I started reading thru this thread from the beginning and am up to p. 16. Besides being entertaining, I've also gotten a lot of ideas for books for my Christmas list! Although as you can see above, some of them are NOT going to wait until then :biggrin:

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

74,469. Welcome serge and Octaveman.

Nah, pdf format doesn't count for the purposes of this thread, nor do our old 3 X5 cards and printouts from the net. But they sure count in the kitchen, and I'd love to spend about a year going through everyones stash of recipes!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com