• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 3)

Vegetables Every Day by Jack Bishop.

I'm a big Jack Bishop fan. That book is a good reference. I like his recipe for brussel sprouts.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Today I received:

Feast by Nigella Lawson

AB's Les Halles

Last week:

Real Kitchen by Tyler Florence

Bold American Food by Bobby Flay

Cooking With The Two Fat Ladies

Robb Walsh's Tex-Mex Cook Book

Homestyle Thai and Indonesian Cooking by Sri Owen

The Flores Family's El Charro Cafe by Jane & Michael Stern

Add 8 more for me :blink: .

I try and try to avoid this thread, but I am always sucked back in..... :biggrin:

I only picked up 12 on my trip to the US this summer and I swore I wouldn't buy anymore until Christmas but last week I picked up:

Home Baking by Alford and Duguid ( found this for just 1,000 yen , less than $10 at Amazon Japan's marketplace, there was no way to pass it up at that price!! :biggrin: )

Williams-Sonoma Savoring Provence

Catalan Cuisine by Colman Andrews

--these last two I aslo picked up at amrketplace for about $6 a piece

and a Japanese book on cooking fish

so add 16 for me....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Welcome to eGullet, Julia and Deborah, and thanks for adding to the total here. But as torakris mentioned, checking out this thread can be hell on the wallet to say nothing of available living space in your home.

Squeat and Suzanne -- your dedication amazes me! :smile:

That's 72,605.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I've added a few more:

The Curry Secret by Kris Dhillon

Flavor by Rocco DiSpirito (Don't snigger, it's really quite good)

Zuni Cafe Cookbook by Judy Rogers

Cooking by Hand by Paul Bertolli

Taste, a new way to cook by Sybil Kapoor

Salsas that Sing by Rick Bayless

La Scienza in Cucina Vols 1 & 2 by Pellegrino Artusi (in Italian)

La Mia Cucina Toscana by Pino Luongo

1 other Italian book I can't recall the title of

New Food of Life by Najmieh Batmanglij

Oh my, have I really acquired 11 (!?) cookbooks since I last posted here? I'm going to go back and check, but unless you here otherwise, 11 more.

I'm editing this to add the Joy of Pickling. So make that 12 more.

Edited by rgruby (log)

. . .

Squeat and Suzanne -- your dedication amazes me!  :smile:

That's 72,605.

Aw, shucks, ma'am, just doing my job. :blush: Please note, however, that I do NOT include the books I work on unless they are good enough for me to WANT to own them. So that lets out the current spate of "lifestyle" exercise-and-diet books :hmmm::angry::raz:

• 2 weeks later...

My boss is selling their boat, anybody need a 156' cruiser? Anyway, I have received a couple of books from the galley.

"Rosa Mexicano" by Josephina Howard

"The Cuisine of Cathay" by GEnia Lee (signed copy)

"THe Essential Cook Book" by Caroline Conran, Terence Conran and Simon Hopkinson

and I bought

"Paris" at my local Williams-Sonoma, they now see me coming and are ready for me.

So that is 4 more.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Too many????

No, just too little capacity :smile:

What a mess, though. I hope none of your books were injured in the accident. :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Too many????

No, just too little capacity :smile:

What a mess, though. I hope none of your books were injured in the accident. :wink:

=R=

Hmmmm....well, that's what I TOLD my dh, LOL! The worst thing was, that he kept telling me not to put all those books and magazines in there or the cupboard would fall off the wall :angry: , but me, in my infinite wisdom says to him "what do you think cabinets are made for?" :blush: Imagine my chagrin when I walked into this devastation . Not my finest moment. :wacko: Plus, I was so proud of my growing collection of classic cookbooks and they looked so beautiful and were right at hand :rolleyes: . Only a couple of books got balsamic vinegar on them (one of the items below the cabinet on the counter that was smashed to smithereens).I suppose I should be happy that the granite below wasn't broken, nor the glass top table broken, or the granite floor cracked, but all I could see were my beloved cookbooks and recipes all over. :huh: But the new cabinets are guaranteed to not fall off the wall no matter how many books I put in them, however, I have restrained myself in the interest of marital harmony :biggrin: I DO need bookshelves, apparently. Oh well...someday :smile:

Oh dear! As long as nobody was under the cabinet when it went down. You don't want to end up like Charles Valentin Alkan. :shock:

LOL, Suzanne~ I thought that was a myth!

If I'd posted what the area looked like just prior to the "crash of '03" (as we call it), you'd have seen my laptop sitting there which is where I usually am when I'm on the computer :shock: Believe me, I almost brought up Alkan when I called the development company...but was afraid it was a little too melodramatic (and I didnt' want to confuse them :wacko: ). Don't dishes weigh more than books???

Oh dear! As long as nobody was under the cabinet when it went down. You don't want to end up like Charles Valentin Alkan. :shock:

LOL, Suzanne~ I thought that was a myth!

If I'd posted what the area looked like just prior to the "crash of '03" (as we call it), you'd have seen my laptop sitting there which is where I usually am when I'm on the computer :shock: Believe me, I almost brought up Alkan when I called the development company...but was afraid it was a little too melodramatic (and I didnt' want to confuse them :wacko: ). Don't dishes weigh more than books???

Yep, it's a myth, but a good one.

As for me, I keep all my cookbooks on the lower shelves, next to the Talmud.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have probably 75. That number would be tripled if it were not for dear hubby's standing objection to more cookbooks. After I took up one whole bookcase and the bottom of our kitchen hutch with cookbooks he called for a moratorium on cookbook-acquisition. So I can still buy them, but for every one that comes in, another must go out. This seems very crappy to me but on the other hand, DH has adhered to the computer-parts moratorium I similarly imposed on him so I guess I shouldn't complain. We love books in general and have way too many as it is.

The most recent one I got is How to Cook Without a Book by Pam Anderson (I am assuming not the Pam Anderson of Playboy, Baywatch, Tommy Lee etc. fame). It's good but I knew most of the skills she talks about already. It would be a great book for a starting-out cook or someone who hates to figure out what to make for dinner.

My favorite cookbooks are Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home, Cooking at Home with the CIA, Jacques Pepin Celebrates, The Le Gavroche Cookbook, Dinners in a Dish or a Dash, a few others I can't think of right now.

I really love buying big thick cookbooks that have a ton of recipes in them. I like being able to look up four or five different recipes for a given food and deciding between them.

NVNVGirl: Ouch. That picture hurt!

yeah Maggie,...I cried. The development company was quite good to me tho....no questions asked for anything I told them that was broken and the cost....so I can't complain..it's just a very shocking thing to come home to! And it was a GIANT pain to clean up esp by myself :sad:

I've whittled it down to 90 or so. Some of the more valuable ones include: The Time-Life Series "Foods of the World", 1968, Takahashi's "Zesty Creations by the Sea" series(Red sea bream,sea bass, hirame flounder and Oyster,abalone, and scallop books), Harrods Cookery Book,1985, and "Les recettes originles de...' by Claude Lebey, (Bernard Pacau, Robuchon, Meneau, more comming), Antoine's (New Orleans) .

72, 993. And Tim, we cherish our TL "Foods of the World" on this thread. Come to think of it, why don't they reissue it --no updates, no changes.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com