• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boiled eggs in olive oil - need some help to recreate a memory

We went to Paris around this time a couple of years ago. I think about the trip a lot, but have really been remembering so much just recently. One thing in particular has been haunting me. I know it sounds odd, considering all of the wonderful food that we ate, but the medium boiled eggs in olive oil that we had at Cave a’ los a Moelle is something that I just haven’t ever gotten out of my mind. They seem simple enough – medium boiled eggs (solid whites, the yolks were the consistency of syrup in the middle and not quite firm at the edges), shelled and served whole in a bowl of warm olive oil. All I did was to scoop one out, cut it open, sprinkle with a little salt and spread on crusty bread. So my question is – is it really that easy? Just medium boiled eggs and warm olive oil? Or is there something that I’m missing. I really, really need to have this soon. Merci!

This blog describes a side dish at the restaurant of "boiled eggs in oil marinade with bay leaves and allspice." No other details.
http://nami-nami.blogspot.com/2006/08/my-paris-la-cave-de-los-molle.html

A Google search uncovered this French recipe for marinated eggs in olive oil. Doesn't sound like the dish you describe (how could you miss anchovies?). I may try it out. I'm intrigued.
http://www.eatingclubvancouver.com/2008/10/piedmont-marinated-eggs.html

ETA: I would expect the restaurant dish had an acid in there somewhere (vinegar or lemon juice), and a good dose of salt.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Another search turned up this review (in French) with a photo that appears to include your egg dish: La Cave de l’Os a Moelle

The success of a dish that simple would depend on the quality of its ingredients. Look at the gorgeous color of the olive oil. It may well be infused with herbs and spices as djyee100's search turned up. But start with really good French olive oil and excellent eggs.

Thanks, Linda - those are my eggs!! And thanks to you both for the ideas and help! I'm pondering what I want to do with the information. I know that I want the eggs to be warm, so I don't think I'll be able to marinate in the oil very long. I'm thinking that I can infuse the oil with the flavors that I want and then just drizzle that over the freshly cooked eggs. I'll post when I finally get a chance to make it!