• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cabin cooking

highchef

Wow! I had no idea there were so many multi fueled options out there. There is one that uses wood, pellets and propane! Very, very interesting. And I thank you!

Here's my two cents:

I moved out to the country many years ago. I was concerned about losing power and opted for an all gas (propane) range. I loved the stove top cooking aspect, but hated the oven because it was uneven heat and not a dry heat, as teapot stated above. When the thing finally needed replacement, I opted for a double electric oven with a gas cooktop and aside from having to keep the black glossy top clean, I could not be happier. One aspect that I had not anticipated was that the smaller top oven heats up extremely fast (550 C in five min) and is where I do most of the common small items. It makes killer pizza! I don't know if the expense can be justified in a hunting cabin, but felt the insight might prove useful.

HC

Here's my two cents:

I moved out to the country many years ago. I was concerned about losing power and opted for an all gas (propane) range. I loved the stove top cooking aspect, but hated the oven because it was uneven heat and not a dry heat, as teapot stated above. When the thing finally needed replacement, I opted for a double electric oven with a gas cooktop and aside from having to keep the black glossy top clean, I could not be happier. One aspect that I had not anticipated was that the smaller top oven heats up extremely fast (550 C in five min) and is where I do most of the common small items. It makes killer pizza! I don't know if the expense can be justified in a hunting cabin, but felt the insight might prove useful.

HC

I have a duel fuel in a rent house, it has a down vent as well. that might be a good alternative IF I can make it work on propane, and compared to the wood/pellet/propane stove I was looking at, may well be cheaper when I put shipping cost from Maine in there...those I can order and have shipped to pick up. At first I didn't look at that as an alternative because they are not cheap, but now they are looking cheaper all the time. I may give whirlpool a call and check up on that. I can always bake in the fireplace I guess...I can bake on a campfire so the cast iron needs to come out again and get to the cabin. Mine does not have a double oven, as I said it is a Whirlpool...what brand is yours? a small oven for when it's just us could be really useful. Thanks.

you did not worry about refrigeration? or did you go propane with that too? I suspect the cabin will be used more for vacations in a few years if we are ever able to retire, but right now it functions mostly for the hunters. I am ok with the "atmosphere", but to spend any real quality time up there I need an oven, fridge and cook top (or range). enough with ice chest and campstoves outside! Thanks!

highchef, it's a Jenn-Air. I realize after it's too late to edit that I said 550C, when I meant 550F. The small oven is a real good idea if you can do it. When I bake no knead bread in the larger oven (the dutch oven will not fit in the smaller one) it takes almost a half hout to get up to 500F so I know it uses a lot more electricity.

As far as gas refrigeration, what was available then was not really what I wanted. Twice now in 28 years, I have had to empty the fridge and freezer into the trash because of an extended power failure, which isn't bad, I guess. I just think in a cabin things would be in there for shorter duration stays and not be a problem.

HC

Hey HungryChris! I googled your stove and found http://jennair.com/appliances/details/JGRP548WP

That is an awesome stove.

The rent house duel fuel is kitchenaid/whirlpool, and it might be a little cheaper (and smaller) than yours, but does not have 2 ovens, which I think I really like. The griddle in a cabin makes sense too...I may be talking myself into it, but I expect to use it a lot. I've decided that the kitchen appliances are the most important things in the house. I'm not a hunter, but I really like to cook so if they bring it in, I'll figure out what to do with it. That stove is flipping awesome. Thanks for sharing, I do not recall that stove when I was researching the renovation on the rental, but may have swiped right by it as too much for a rental. Hell, the one I put in there was too much for a rental, but my newly wed son was living there at the time so I splurged on the kitchen suite. thanks!

My wife's family cabin is all propane. The stove is old so is probably not a comp. the refridgerator is about 3 years old. It works just fine. But they are expensive. $2k for the most basic models.

Do you happen to know the make of the fridge? I have noticed that the prices were high, even compared to their traditional counterparts, but I don't want to worry about it when the electricity goes out. Thanks