• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pavlova

Bojana

• 5 months later...

I felt the need to make some ice cream recently, which left me with a not-inconsiderable volume of egg whites. So ...

Pav.jpg

This gave me the opportunity to answer the question posed some six months ago: with an eye on possibly-unhealthy eggs, what internal temperature do these things reach? The answer - measured at the end of 'active' cooking time, before leaving the beast in the oven to finish off - is 88°C (in a 150°C oven). So I think you're pretty safe, even if your chickens aren't as careful about washing as you might like. The temperature stayed up around that level for quite some time after the oven went off.

Having never attempted the measuring thing before, I was amazed how 'liquid' the pav still was at the time I measured it. This emphasises the importance of leaving it in the warm oven for an hour or two after the oven is turned off. I was a little worried that opening the door might have an effect on the final product, but I don't think it did. It certainly tasted just as good as ever.

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory