• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CSA 2013

We get shares year round here in Austin, but my favorite time of the year is definitely the next month or so. TOMATO TIME!!!! Ive supplemented my normal box with 10 pounds of san marzanos, 10 pounds of yellow mix and 10 pounds of heirlooms next week. Going to be eating/cooking a lot of tomatoes in the coming 3 weeks ><

here is this weeks box from my CSA

130603_SDG164812.jpg

• Like 1

My, what an amazing photo -- beautiful!

I can't take credit for it, they send us a picture at the beginning of every week showing what they are going to be dropping off :wacko:

My box doesn't actually get delivered until friday'

This is my CSA in case anyone is interested

https://jbgorganic.com/

Edited by Twyst (log)

We get shares year round here in Austin, but my favorite time of the year is definitely the next month or so. TOMATO TIME!!!! Ive supplemented my normal box with 10 pounds of san marzanos, 10 pounds of yellow mix and 10 pounds of heirlooms next week. Going to be eating/cooking a lot of tomatoes in the coming 3 weeks ><

here is this weeks box from my CSA

Pretty stuff!

There's veg in there I'd never use in a week though ...and ones that i'd need more of eg potatoes. Do you end up with a lot of surplus?

Pretty stuff!

There's veg in there I'd never use in a week though ...and ones that i'd need more of eg potatoes. Do you end up with a lot of surplus?

I end up bringing the stuff to work with me that Im not going to use and make something to put out with family meal. They offer a weekly half share, or you can get a share every 2 weeks if thats what you would prefer. I also get farm fresh eggs from them every week, but they get used up in like 3 days :cool:

We have also started using the same company as one of our main produce suppliers at work as well, so they are getting really big. Honeslty the stuff they dont put in the farm shares is a lot nicer and has a lot more variety. the stuff they sell at farmers markets and the stuff they sell to restaurants is GORGEOUS, so Im thinking about stopping taking the share boxes.

I di stop at the farm after work last night to pick up our share. I got lots of lettuce, a napa cabbage, some bok choy, some garlic scrapes,

I alos had the chance to get a box of strawberries. The rub was I had to pick them. I am 6'4" with a bad back and it was raining at the time. So, I passed.

It was pretty much what I expected for this first pick up.

Our farm is not just a farm. It is a non-profit thta offers a place to live and work for those with challanges. It has a mission to provide for the residents but also to provide the produce to our community.

I have included a link to their web page. It is a wonderful non-profit to support

http://www.homefields.org/

Edited by lancastermike (log)