• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for help making liquid herb salt wine seasoning (Flor de Sel V

kerlin4321

Hello! My maiden post to this interesting forum.

Last year I purchased a delicious spray seasoning in Mallorca: Flor de Sel Vino, from the winemakers Macia Batle. It is great on salads, as a marinade for grilling, on cheese or bread. I just ran out and thought I would try to make some myself. All I have found on the web so far that is vaguely comparable to a steeped wine/herb recipe calls for red wine vinegar, but the brilliant part of the Flor de Sel vino is that it uses wine, and is not as acidic. (I have a vinegar-hating family). The label only says it is composed of liquid Flor de Sel, herbs, and Matonegro red wine. I can procure all of these, but not sure how to proceed to make a long-lasting liquid seasoning.

Here are my specific questions: (1) Should I steep the herbs (organo, basil and thyme) in just the red wine, or in a red wine/salt solution? And for how long, and how cool? I assume at the end of the process I would strain the liquid and have a consistency appropriate for spraying.

Any tips or ideas would be warmly welcome! And I look forward to exchanging food and drink ideas with all of you!

Thanks, I will follow up on this and hopefully get some clarity on how he makes it. As of now I am going with macerating fresh herbs with salt and then soaking all this in red wine for a few days. Hopefully it will yield something comparable, if not I will just work with herbs and salt.