• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cronuts – worth the hype?

KennethT

Has anyone had one? I've read all about them (how can you not, the hype is incredible!) but have no interest in getting a scalped one on Craigslist or time right now to waiti on a ridiculous line... but I'm curious if they're really as good as the hype insists...

" Now cronuts are now being scalped on Craigslist for up to eight times their original retail price. And in New York City fashion, they're available for delivery by scalpers in Manhattan ($20 each), Queens ($30 each), and Brooklyn $40 each).

Here's the add:

CRONUT PICKUP - Dominique Ansel Bakery - $20 (SoHo)

I will be going down to Dominique Ansel Bakery tomorrow morning (Saturday May 25th) to beat the line and pick up the max of 6 CRONUTS allowed per customer. If you would like one of these devine creations I am willing to pick up and deliver them to your door for the below prices. Of course the max you can have me deliver is 5 Cronuts as I will be eating one myself.

Manhattan Delivery - $20 per Cronut ($25 above 59th Street)
Queens - $30 per Cronut
Brooklyn - $40 per Cronut

I will be picking up the Cronuts and delivering them promptly to your door step to enjoy with your Saturday breakfast! "

Has anyone had one? I've read all about them (how can you not, the hype is incredible!) but have no interest in getting a scalped one on Craigslist or time right now to waiti on a ridiculous line... but I'm curious if they're really as good as the hype insists...

I've never heard of them ... what are they?

... Shel

I would just go to my local zehrs store and buy one of their glazed croissant donuts for less than 1$ . they have been making them for at least 20 yrs ;)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Neither had I until about an hour ago when I read this.

That's a chunk of my life I would like back.

Oh, my ... certainly not worth the hype, the money, the time. Thanks for the link ... maybe.

... Shel

Think about that first croissant that you had, maybe on your honeymoon in Paris, with the butter from Brittany or Normandy and the exceptional strawberry preserves. Then think about the first truly great, freshly made doughnut that you ate (the now defunct Spudnut, if you were lucky, or maybe your mom's or grandmom's, right out of the grease and dumped into a paper bag full of sugar or powdered sugar and shaken gently). And then understand that, without even tasting one of these cronuts (and not denying that it could be quite tasty), it has no chance of equalling or exceeding either of the other two experiences, not for $5 and sure as hell not for $20, $30 or $40! Sometimes you just gotta draw the line in the sand. Innovation has its limits...

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

[...] understand that, without even tasting one of these cronuts (and not denying that it could be quite tasty), it has no chance of equalling or exceeding either of the other two experiences, not for $5 and sure as hell not for $20, $30 or $40! Sometimes you just gotta draw the line in the sand. Innovation has its limits...

I don't deny that the Cronut® could be a tasty treat, but I don't think I'd wait on line at 6:00am for a chance to try one, nor would it seem right to spend such outrageous prices even if I didn't have to wait on line. Reading some articles, it seems that the craze is already passing, and it may not be long before the Cronut® becomes just another footnote to foolishness.

ETA: there's a bakery way across town from where I used to live - maybe 12-miles or so - and I used to drive there one or two mornings a week for the best brioche I ever tasted, so I suppose we all have one or two things that might drive us to "excess."

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Actually, it seems like if anything the hype is increasing (at least if Eater is to be believed):

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2013/06/as_the_days_grow_longer_so_do_the_lines_for_cronuts.php

I will probably renege on waiting in that line, but I may take one for the team and pay a ridiculous price to get one delivered. To the naysayers, Dominique Ansel is the former Daniel pastry chef, and for my money, this is the best bakery in NYC - so I am definitely interested to try.

why is it wrong to make something delicious? If your not going to, or don't know how to make it, then you have to pay the price. i mean croissants and doughs have been around a while, might as well see what all it can be

Neither had I until about an hour ago when I read this.

That's a chunk of my life I would like back.

Worthy for introducing the word fauxnut to describe the inevitable knockoffs. LOL.

Tried cronuts this weekend (don't want to know what I paid to have two delivered to Brooklyn). I thought the flavor was good, but texture was offputting to me (almost stale-like). My wife liked it though, which is mostly what counts. I wouldn't pay up for a black market cronut again, but may try one in the store when (if?) the insanity dies down.

Tried cronuts this weekend (don't want to know what I paid to have two delivered to Brooklyn). I thought the flavor was good, but texture was offputting to me (almost stale-like). My wife liked it though, which is mostly what counts. I wouldn't pay up for a black market cronut again, but may try one in the store when (if?) the insanity dies down.

Based on the Kouign Aman I tried from Dominique Ansel, I won't be rushing off to try a Cronut when I'm in NY next. Texture wasn't great, nor was the flavor.

Doubtful. Last weekend, having in my possession some sheets of frozen croissant dough and plenty of canola oil, I decided I had to fry some up and try them. I thawed a croissant sheet, cut it into doughnut shapes, proofed the doughnuts, then fried them at 350F until nice and brown. Of course I tested a few holes first, and tossed them in powdered sugar. I liked the crispiness once the holes cooled. As for the cronuts, some got a lemon curd filling and lemon glaze, some got a hazelnut filling and white chocolate glaze, and a special few got a bacon fat-sriracha glaze and plenty of crumbled bacon (it was essentially a dare).

Don't get me wrong, they were good. They were rich, with the flakiness of laminated dough, and everyone who tried them seemed to both marvel at the concept and enjoy them. But wait in line for hours or pay a scalper? No. I suppose there is appeal in the novelty and the over-the-top-ness, and they were fun to make once, but either a croissant or a doughnut makes me feel kind of gross afterwards, I really don't need to try deep fried croissants again any time soon.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

As the online shaming of bakeries that have the gall to make Cronut "knockoffs" continues, I can't help but wish that 19th-century bakers had had the intellectual property foresight of today's pastry chefs. I'm sure the Tatin sisters' estate would have a thing or two to say about Dominique Ansel offering a tarte Tatin "knockoff" on his menu.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara