• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cronuts – worth the hype?

KennethT

• 1 month later...

Haven't been to Ansel's place early enough for the Cronut- but it is a fave pit stop of mine. The made to order madelines and tarts are incredible.

The place was crowded with people who asked for cronuts and left without buying a thing. I don't know how they could see all that incredible pastry and leave without being tempted. Fools!

• 3 weeks later...

The tipster who sent us this photo witnessed this all go down last night outside of Dominique Ansel Bakery, telling us that "it wasn't even a finished Cronut... it was burnt and unfilled." The bakery never has Cronuts to toss out at the end of the day, so this was just a casualty from the frying process. Our tipster added, "It was a really sad moment. One of the cooks ran out and told them it was unsafe to eat, and they cursed at her and ran away."

Photo and story in the link

http://jezebel.com/it-has-come-to-this-ladies-digging-in-the-garbage-for-1130996333

• 7 months later...

Hard to keep out every mouse in NYC. Video guy was an ass for not telling the staff and a bigger ass for putting it on the internet.

Doubtless he/she is a feckless turd still living on parental dole.

May he one day be judged by the standards he uses.

• Like 2

No kidding.  Talk about a dog bites man type of story:  Food Establishment in Crowded City Has Mouse Problem!

Next stop:  Ethnic restaurants cut corners!

Someone has too much leisure time on his hands.

• Like 1

I thought exactly the same thing - what was the feckless turd trying to do taking video of it and then posting it.  As if they were trying to bring them down.  Agreed, way too much time on their hands.

• Like 2

"Too much time on his/their hands"

...you mean like all those folks who get up at the crack of dawn and wait for more than an hour in line with the chance that they still won't get that cronut they fawn for? ;-)  (Whether they take videos of mice running around or not :-) )

Here are two articles on the place and on cronuts, appropriate to the thread:

http://www.thewire.com/entertainment/2013/06/cronuts/65778/

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/in-defense-of-the-cronut/

p.s. I agree that it would have been better if that mouse-videographer had alerted the staff there first or spoken to them, which he did not.  Maybe if they were to ignore him or blithely dismiss the observation then perhaps the posting of the video might follow... Yet he also claimed that the staff there knew the mouse was running around (Quote: "It appeared they were all aware of it.") although the bakery's statements afterwards suggested that they did not...

Edited by huiray (log)

This is a false dichotomy.

Those who stand in line for hours  for cronuts are schmucks.     3 minutes...OK, more than that = schmuck

This has nothing to do with a guy who decided to be an ad hoc health dept..

• Like 1

Perhaps.  But to me all of them would still fit the bill of "having too much time on their hands" - or at least of devoting too much time to the pursuit of something that may not be worth it.

As for the guy "being an ad hoc health dept" - hmm, I dunno - there's a grey area there. I would return to my "p.s."comments in my immediately previous post.  

In a related sense isn't it the case that Health Depts request the general public to report violations to them so they can investigate?

FWIW, it seems that they were previously cited for mice back in October last year...

http://gothamist.com/2014/04/04/dominique_ansel_shut_down.php

The comments there are worth glancing over.  :-) 

Eh, it was one mouse. (Maybe it was Remy)  The bakery spokeswoman said they expected to reopen "by Monday".

Edited by huiray (log)

• 9 months later...

While buying donuts recently, I noticed that this particular store had 'Cronuts'.  Despite not ever having had a real Ansel Cronut, I don't think these are real cronuts.  They just seem all wrong.  A sickly sweet sugar glaze being one of the tip-offs.  Although I must say that a Bavarian Cream version seemed to have some real potential.

I searched online for any instance of the Cronut name being licensed and couldn't find any.  Being generally supportive of intellectual property laws, I thought about everything from shooting off a quick e-mail, to traveling around to different stores of this regional chain to see if I could build the case further.

Then again, I view the Cronut craze as largely over.  And I'd likely succeed only in removing another food choice in my area.

So I find myself in a bit of a quandary.  What, if anything, would you do?

Were they donuts made out of croissant dough, or where they things labelled "cronut" on the shelves? If the former, they're totally kosher.  You can't own an idea without a patent, and Ansel doesn't have one.  If the latter, then it is an infringement of the trademark rights Ansel's got. His trademark atty is listed at the PTO as:

CANDICE COOK
CA-CO GLOBAL INC./THE COOK LAW GROUP
77 WATER ST FL 8
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10005-4418
UNITED STATES

She'd surely appreciate a heads up, and any evidence you might want to provide her.

Around me the sources of croissant dough circular pastries are all asian bakeries that don't label anything in Latin script... so no TM issues... and they are tasty... and actually are lightly glazed.
Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Were they donuts made out of croissant dough, or where they things labelled "cronut" on the shelves? If the former, they're totally kosher.  You can't own an idea without a patent, and Ansel doesn't have one.  If the latter, then it is an infringement of the trademark rights Ansel's got. His trademark atty is listed at the PTO as:

CANDICE COOK
CA-CO GLOBAL INC./THE COOK LAW GROUP
77 WATER ST FL 8
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10005-4418
UNITED STATES

She'd surely appreciate a heads up, and any evidence you might want to provide her.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

Most of that supermarket croissant dough is made with MargarEEEEN, yuk...

But those Asian Cronuts are lovely cause its real butter!

Asian Cronuts?  Wait,  I might've missed a development here...

[edit] Oh,I did. In CDH's last post.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

IndyRob? If you have a big box Asian mkt near you, there is USUALLY an Asian bakery inside the food court, GO!

OMG some of those pastries are divine! Aside from the real butter cronuts, you may see a curry donut, Japanese

cheesecake, Mocha and cornbread layer cake, etc. One of my all time fave baked goods is this Korean sweet bread

that is in the shape of an Italian loaf, with Mochi and green peas inside and a crumb almond topping...I have no clue what its

called though.

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

IndyRob? If you have a big box Asian mkt near you, there is USUALLY an Asian bakery inside the food court, GO!

OMG some of those pastries are divine! Aside from the real butter cronuts, you may see a curry donut, Japanese

cheesecake, Mocha and cornbread layer cake, etc. One of my all time fave baked goods is this Korean sweet bread

that is in the shape of an Italian loaf, with Mochi and green peas inside and a crumb almond topping...I have no clue what its

called though.

The Japanese bakery at the huge Japanese market in Edgewater/Ft. Lee NJ had the most delish pastries (just stay away from the red bean paste if you're me).  The almond paste filled donuts were sublime. 

While buying donuts recently, I noticed that this particular store had 'Cronuts'.  Despite not ever having had a real Ansel Cronut, I don't think these are real cronuts.  They just seem all wrong.  A sickly sweet sugar glaze being one of the tip-offs.  Although I must say that a Bavarian Cream version seemed to have some real potential.

I searched online for any instance of the Cronut name being licensed and couldn't find any.  Being generally supportive of intellectual property laws, I thought about everything from shooting off a quick e-mail, to traveling around to different stores of this regional chain to see if I could build the case further.

Then again, I view the Cronut craze as largely over.  And I'd likely succeed only in removing another food choice in my area.

So I find myself in a bit of a quandary.  What, if anything, would you do?

Regarding the OP, yes, the term "Cronut" is trademarked... see the website, http://dominiqueansel.com/cronut-101/

Personally, I would do as cdh says and send them an email telling them the name/location of the stores that are selling the items with the same name. After that, it's up to them (and their lawyers).

• Like 1