• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cronuts – worth the hype?

KennethT

IndyRob? If you have a big box Asian mkt near you, there is USUALLY an Asian bakery inside the food court,

I don't believe we have those around here.  I do go to an Asian market, but it's pretty small.

However, my favorite donut shop is run by a bunch of Asian women,  All straight up American donuts though.

Anyway, I think I may wait until I find myself at another store in the chain and see if it's more than one store.  They might just be testing the product under the familiar name and plan to change them name once people find them.  An e-mail would probably just generate a C&D letter anyway,

I don't believe we have those around here.  I do go to an Asian market, but it's pretty small.

However, my favorite donut shop is run by a bunch of Asian women,  All straight up American donuts though.

Anyway, I think I may wait until I find myself at another store in the chain and see if it's more than one store.  They might just be testing the product under the familiar name and plan to change them name once people find them.  An e-mail would probably just generate a C&D letter anyway,

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Okay, here's my two cents. First of all, the original post really seemed to be posing a moral question, so I'm gonna back up. Is the donut shop a small mom & pop operation or independently run part of a franchise, or is it inside of a large supermarket? I don't know about where you are, but here in CA most of the standard donut shops are owned by hard woking Cambodians who probably don't see a lot of profit.

We are all of us amateur advice columnists, so I say leave well enough alone. If ya like their cronut, or whatever they are calling a cronut, buy and enjoy. If you don't then don't. The world really doesn't need a cronut police any more than it ever needed a cronut. Of course I admit I've never had one and wouldn't know a "real" one from an imposter, but in this case it seems like a little poetic license isn't hurting anyone. Reasonable? I know this doesn't address any legal issues, but where is the offense in all this, really?

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 4