• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bialys

ambra

These are my bialys, aren’t they beautiful? :smile:

photo (15).JPG

But you can see the obvious problems. They’ve popped. The indent bounces back.

My question is, how do I get the hole I make when forming them, to actually stay a hole, and not pop? Is the problem that my dough is too wet? If I add more flour, will I still have that beautiful crumb I get?

Also, the onions burn every time. Has anyone ever tried to make bialys with raw onions? The recipe I follow says to sauté first, which is what I have been doing.

This is the recipe I have been using. The only real change I make is that I add a couple of spoonfuls of malt. I also can’t get bread flour where I live so I use all all-purpose flour. (The equivalent to it, anyway.)

Thank you in advance.

Can't speak to the indent issue but George (Secrets of a Jewish Baker) Greenstein's recipe just combines raw minced onion with poppy seeds, veg oil and salt: no cooking before going into oven. The couple times I tried his recipe it worked for me, no burned onions.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

attachicon.gifphoto (15).JPG

My question is, how do I get the hole I make when forming them, to actually stay a hole, and not pop? Is the problem that my dough is too wet? If I add more flour, will I still have that beautiful crumb I get?

Also, the onions burn every time. Has anyone ever tried to make bialys with raw onions? The recipe I follow says to sauté first, which is what I have been doing.

This is the recipe I have been using. The only real change I make is that I add a couple of spoonfuls of malt. I also can’t get bread flour where I live so I use all all-purpose flour. (The equivalent to it, anyway.)

Thank you in advance.

attachicon.gifphoto (15).JPG

Thank you in advance.

they look great to me. Make a deep depression. I lightly sautee the onions. Cover if needed

These look great to me, too!

Is there any chance that the depression in a bialy is the result of a controlled fall?

What I mean is, if the centre stays moist well after the rest is set, taking the tray out of the oven at that point, and slamming it down might cause the centres to collapse without collpsing the edges. Putting the onions on the bialys as soon as they're formed and set for their final rise should give their moisture time to seep into the dough, making it wetter than the rest.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

rlibkind, I will try the raw onions then, thank you.

Scamhi, I don't prick the dough. I can try that.

Boudin, because the filling falls out and burns even more in the toaster. heehee.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think the problem is, the recipe makes for an ENORMOUS oven spring.

So you guys are saying that I could fill them with the onions to weight the dough down BEFORE the second proofing? I do make the depression before the second proof but they still bolt up in the oven.

Anyway, thank you for the compliments. It's really a good recipe, maybe I should just put up with it. But only after I try your suggestions. :)

• 7 years later...
11 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

@shain makes wonderful bialys and even has a recipe for them in the recipe forum.

Yes - @shain does!  I know a few people who make  them; definitely easier than bagels. Or fewer steps, at least.

Our newest local bakery makes them too - except they are $3.50 each! There are some things I just refuse to pay too much for.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?