• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grapes - How Long Do They Keep

Porthos

Grapes from a supermarket in California - how long do they keep given proper storage in the refrigerator? There is a good sale on now, but the trip I would take them on isn't for a couple of weeks. Do I buy them at the good price or will they go bad before I can use them?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Grapes from a supermarket in California - how long do they keep given proper storage in the refrigerator? There is a good sale on now, but the trip I would take them on isn't for a couple of weeks. Do I buy them at the good price or will they go bad before I can use them?

Considering those grapes have probably already travelled from South America, their shelf life is probably under a week at home.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The table grape harvest should have begun by now in California, so I expect that's what you're seeing. I didn't take a close look at the grapes the last time I went grocery shopping. I like Shalmanese's suggestion about frozen grapes--they could be a refreshing snack for your trip.

One caveat, though--the early harvest may not be that sweet. Can you taste a few grapes at the market before you load up?

grapes can last two weeks. how do I know? I finished the last of a bag of red seedless grapes two days ago while I was waiting for plumbers to fix my bathroom pipes. the bag had been in my fridge for AT LEAST two weeks, and were just as tasty as the day I bought them.

I've had local harvest grapes last two weeks. But you're saying two weeks plus the time you travel. Will they still be refrigerated while you travel? I, personally, wouldn't risk it. They might last, but they certainly wouldn't be at their best...and, as dryer said, they don't start out at this earliest harvest at their best, anyway.