• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How can I hot-infuse cream before whipping?

jrshaul

Today, I tried making earl grey cream puffs by heating cream to 140F and infusing with tea for an hour. While the infusion was successful, the resulting attempt at whipping was not. How high can I go before the cream no longer whips?

You can probably go as high as you did, but you'll need to chill the cream back down to 10 C or so before you whip it. I've done hot-infusions before with cream, but I've always given it a day's rest in the fridge before trying to whip it.

Otherwise, you'll have to go the modernist route and add some stabilizers - methocel and xanthan gum come to mind.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Heat it today, chill in the frig overnight, whip it tomorrow. Works the same way if you accidentally overwhip your cream. Don't throw it out, heat it up to melt the fat & remove the air. Into the frig overnight & it whips up good as new tomorrow.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

Wow! Never even thought about it. Thanks for the question and information! Always something new to learn. :smile: :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I need to get some more cream and retry this. I threw the cream in an ice bath to get it cold before rewhipping, but it wasn't there very long - perhaps the duration of chilling affects the ability to whip?

I need to get some more cream and retry this. I threw the cream in an ice bath to get it cold before rewhipping, but it wasn't there very long - perhaps the duration of chilling affects the ability to whip?

Indeed it would. Heston Blumenthal comments in The Fat Duck Cookbook that ice cream bases should be held at fridge temperature for 8 to 24 hours to allow the milk fat droplets to crystallize - which is an important factor in whipped cream.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara