• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2014 Chocolate & Confectionery Workshop Las Vegas

Chocolot

Couple questions Ruth, what are the dates for the hotel reservations? I have put in the hotel group code and the dates I assume you've reserved the rooms and it's saying there are no rates that match those dates...

Also, for the master class, you mentioned it's for more "advanced" participants...in your opinion do you feel I fall under that criteria? Just trying to decide whether I should go for it, or if it's going to be over my head.

Thanks! This sounds awesome, can't wait!

Couple questions Ruth, what are the dates for the hotel reservations? I have put in the hotel group code and the dates I assume you've reserved the rooms and it's saying there are no rates that match those dates...

Also, for the master class, you mentioned it's for more "advanced" participants...in your opinion do you feel I fall under that criteria? Just trying to decide whether I should go for it, or if it's going to be over my head.

Thanks! This sounds awesome, can't wait!

Hotel is setting up the online right now--sorry about that. Dates are May 16-19. You can also call and the name of the group is Chocolate Workshop. I don't know the answer to your "advanced" question. I think as long as you sort of know what you are doing:-) There is only one spot left. If there is a lot of interest, we might see if he would teach another session.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Well Ruth I just decided to go for it. I've been dabbling in strictly chocolate in the winter for the last 6 years, so I hope I know what I'm doing by now :raz: .

Just made my reservation for the workshop and the master class, so I guess I'm committed. I will still be driving down, but might be limited on what I can bring as I will already be working in Wyoming by then, so have limited space in my car for everything I need to take with me for living in Jackson for the summer, but will see what how much left over space I have and fill it with chocolate equip.

Will check on the hotel biz a little later, just wanted to definitely nail down my spot for the workshop and master class.

Thanks again for organizing all this Ruth (and Rob!) this looks to be another fantastic event :biggrin:

Well Ruth I just decided to go for it. I've been dabbling in strictly chocolate in the winter for the last 6 years, so I hope I know what I'm doing by now :raz: .

Just made my reservation for the workshop and the master class, so I guess I'm committed. I will still be driving down, but might be limited on what I can bring as I will already be working in Wyoming by then, so have limited space in my car for everything I need to take with me for living in Jackson for the summer, but will see what how much left over space I have and fill it with chocolate equip.

Will check on the hotel biz a little later, just wanted to definitely nail down my spot for the workshop and master class.

Thanks again for organizing all this Ruth (and Rob!) this looks to be another fantastic event :biggrin:

Great! We shouldn't need much of anything because JMA has lots. Appreciate your offer.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

Master class is full-thanks everyone for your interest. Sign up for the workshop before that fills too.

Those registered for Master class:

Rob

Kerry

Bob

Dave H

David S

Ruth

Sarah

Erika

Donna

Willow

If you are interested in another Master class, PM me here and we will see if JMA is willing to teach Friday morning.

Edited by Chocolot (log)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

I just confirmed with the hotel. You should be able to get the group rate for rooms from May 14-20, 2013. Our block is guaranteed from May 16-19. Other dates are as available but you will get that rate. The group is under Chocolate Workshop or code 13B7TU. They seem a bit confused, but hopefully it will all work out. If any problems, PM me.

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

• 4 weeks later...

I am heading to Vegas next week to check out the facilities. Do any of you have any specific questions or concerns that I can check out for you?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

I am heading to Vegas next week to check out the facilities. Do any of you have any specific questions or concerns that I can check out for you?

No specific questions but it would be nice to know what sort of equipment they will have for us to use (melters, temperers, guitars, enrobers, panners, scales, airbrushes, etc.). Have fun and take some pictures!

I was just wondering if this workshop is open to any eGforum member? I would love to participate in this workshop

It is open to all EGullet members, see Ruth's posts on the previous page #20 & #25 for details.

I was just wondering if this workshop is open to any eGforum member? I would love to participate in this workshop

As Curls said, everyone welcome until we fill up. Hope you can make it.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

Great. I'll make note of it and see if we get others. Remember you need to sign up for the workshop in order to attend the master class:)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

This is just a teaser until I get time to make a big post. This is Jean Marie's kitchen that we will be using.

kitchen.jpg

Edited by heidih
Flipped image (log)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

Here are a few photos to get you excited about our 2014 Chocolate Workshop in Las Vegas May 17-18.

If you haven't been to one of the workshops, you really should seriously think about it. Kerry started this a few years ago. It is a lot of fun with good people. We all can learn from each other and there is a lot of talent in the group. Rob is working on confection places to visit and places to eat. Our activities are fluid at this time, but we are planning on a full 2-3 days. If you want to come in early, there will be plenty to do.

I visited Tuesday to make sure the facility would work for us. All I can say is I want to be Jean Marie when I grow up. The facility is amazing! I can't think of anything they don't have. They even make their own praline and gianduja. The space is deceptive because there are several rooms besides the main kitchen. They have several Robot Coupes, Kitchen Aid mixers, and even a Thermomix. Enrober, 2 continuous temperers and two more melters. Spray booth, and cocoa butter warmers. The only problem is we won't want to leave once we have used their kitchen!

The kitchen is located just off Flamingo near Decatur. It only about 10 minutes from the hotel.

They can only accommodate 25 people and we already have 16 signed up. If you are thinking about it, think fast:) We have removed the deposit feature we offered last month. Now, it is full pay only. Remember there is no refund, so make sure this is going to work for you.

On Saturday morning, Jean Marie and/or Melissa (who just won Chocolatier of the Year) will teach a 3 hour class, then we will go to work and practice what they taught us, or anything else you want to try. The kitchen is open for us to experiment and learn from each other. On Sunday, we are working on a short demo and again working on your own with wonderful ingredients. We would like to hear what you would like them to cover in their class. Three hours isn't a lot of time, but they can do at least three different confections. How about gummies? They say they are quick and fun to do.

I came home with some of their wonderful Nougatine and salt caramels. I highly recommend them both.

We will also have recipes from the class.

To recap:

Only 9 spots left. No refund. Go to http://chocolot.com/products-page/ to register. Bottom of the products page. The only option is full-pay--$160.00. For those who have only paid the deposit, be sure to finish paying by the end of the year.

I will post later about the hotel. I found it to be very clean, large rooms and a good location just off the strip on Flamingo. You are free to stay wherever you like, but the rates are very good at the Tuscany and no resort fee and free wifi in the rooms. We have a block of rooms, info at the bottom of this post.

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

Would love to have you. We will set up another class if we have enough interest. Right now, there are 2, but I know several of us would probably go for another class.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com