• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 2)

JAZ

Maggie -- Do books about ingredients and culinary terms count?

Definitely. Fer shur. You got it. You bet. Bien sur.

Yes!

55, 727.

If I weren't shaking from the flu, I would respond to everyone's interesting comments and discussion. Tomorrow maybe.

Er, back to the small room. I wish I could find my thermometer. And I know just what to do with that stack of clippings, KathyP. A demain.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I've aquired another six over the last couple of weeks. Feel better Maggie! :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Here are three books I found at a discount store:

Quick Pickles by Schlessinger, Willoughby and George.

(Looks like a lot of fun; international pickles, same authors as "Thrill of the Grill")

Aperitif by Georgeanne Brennan

(includes recipes for Vins Maison, description of classic french aperitfis, food to go with)

Shellfish Cookbook by A.D. Livingston

(Looks like it has a lot of nice basic, and regional recipes; mainly American; I bought this just to tortuously exacerbate my feelings of clam-deprivation after traveling from CT (for the holidays) back to the West Coast)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Yes, the "Desert Island 30" is something I've seriously considered -- winnowing away that stack that hasn't been consulted for, say, two years. I mean, do I really need "Holiday Eggs?" Country Living's "Stay for Supper?" Two copies of "The Supper of the Lamb?" (PM me if you'd like the extra.) Heck, I haven't consulted Marcella Hazan for a couple of years.

It's like cleaning out the closet. How many black skirts do I really need? Probably not as many as I own! But in going through the rack I might find an old friend I've forgotten, something so old it's chic again, something that would look great with my new shoes. Something that's only seven pounds away. So they stay.

Cookbooks are the same. If I toss one, I know as sure as eggs are oval, that I'll regret it.

About all those magazine clippings: Buy a three ring binder and a package of plastic sleeves. Spend a happy winter afternoon clipping to fit---you could even add section tabs if you like. Not only does this bestow on the clipper a sense of virtue and self-satisfaction, but when you pull out one of those recipes it's clad in plastic!"

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Bargain Books strikes again! Six more (for just $49 :cool: ):

Hardcover:

A New Way to Cook, Sally Schneider

The Classic Food of Northern Italy, Anna Del Conte (UK printing)

Fields of Greens, Annie Somerville

Softcover:

How to Cook Everything, Mark Bittman

The Wine Lover's Cookbook, Sid Goldstein

James McNair's Grill Cookbook

Most of my cookbooks are within view when I sit down to eat, so I contemplate my Desert Island 30, or 10, with regularity. I know what they'd be right now, but 6 months or a year from now, ...?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

After Rick Bayless's spate of notoriety here, I figured I should see what it was he was betraying and bought Mexico, One Plate at a Time.

Also bought The Zuni Cafe Cookbook and Slow Mediterranean Cooking.

I can't wait to spend Saturday browsing through them . . .

(If I will not face ostracization for putting this in here when I haven't even posted my inventory):

Yesterday at the Friends of the Library room I found a first edition of David Rosengarten's Red Wine with Fish, a book I've idly pursued, as opposed to singlemindedly hunted down, for years, but found it to be 1. way too expensive for a book merely idly pursued, and, 2. hard to find, anyways.

Well yesterday there it was, in crispy never-read condition, for the usual 50 cents. With a tearsheet inserted from the Wine Spectator.

I love to see what previous owners have tucked into used books. Whole stories can be spun from such.

God Bless FotL. Last week or the week before I scored Paula Wolfert's Cooking of South-West France.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

4 more just showed up today (from Amazon)...

The Food Taster (does this one count? :rolleyes:) by Peter Elbling

From My Mexican Kitchen by Diana Kennedy

Simply Ming by Ming Tsai & Arthur Boehm

Craft of Cooking by Tom Colicchio

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Priscilla: I want to go to the library with you! And, Missy Ma'am, pour youself a glass of wine and start counting your amazing collection. Maybe the Crown Prince could lend a hand.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Oh Maggie I must I must it would be only right wouldn't it.

My local FotL room IS some sort of Portal to Infinity ... a year ago or so I found Jeremiah Tower's New American Classics there. Without exaggeration a life-changing 50 cents.

Cheap date? Or the polar opposite?

One time I was in there and an earnest young man was telling the Volunteer on Duty that he needed a copy of Hamlet, perhaps MacBeth, now I think of it, and she was saying to him, oh well Classics are here, see if it's there, and I had to say, excuse me, but there are usually three or four or 12 Hamlets (a/o MacBeths) over on the Plays shelf, over there ... and didn't he find one straightaway.

And just this last visit, the one with the David Rosengarten book, the Crown Prince found the January 2000 Nat'l Geographic he'd been seeking, the one with the crucial Part 3 of the three-part series on Ancient Greece, for the regular 10-cent NG tariff.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

One more, and a pleasant surprise -- I had completely forgotten that I ordered it a couple of weeks ago from one of Amazon's booksellers. :wacko:

Secret Ingredients: The Magical Process of Combining Flavors, by Michael Roberts

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

You can add 18 more to the count!

My favorites are a cookbook from my grandmother's synagogue that is at least

40-50 years old and a book my mother put together of my grandmother's specialties.

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has come up before. Do cooking magazines count?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

A few more for me too...

Joy of Pickling by Linda Ziedrich

Home Cooking by Laurie Colwin

Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion Cunningham

Luscious Lemon Desserts by Lori Longbotham

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Howdy.

New to the board, so I'll have to give you the full inventory (not gonna list them all, though, maybe someday).

Cookbooks - 226

Most important - Larousse; Child's Way to Cook; Notebook of all my menus from 25 years in business

Favorites, lately - Batalli's Babbo; Chalie Palmer's Great American Food; Cafe Boulud Cookbook

Other books about food - 78

Most important - Schlosser's Fast Food Nation; Nestle's Food Politics; Thorne's Serious Pig; Pollan's Botany of Desire

Favorites. lately - Fried Butter by Abe Opicar; Slow Food - The Case for Taste by Carlo Petrini; Coming Home to Eat by Gary Nabhan

Books about writing and food - 8

Most important - The Elements of Expression by Arthur Plotnick; Allen's The Resource Guide for Food Writers; Writer's Market

Favorites, lately - Osterman & Baker's The Recipe Writer's Handbook; Forche & Gerard's Writing Creative Nonfiction

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com