• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 2)

JAZ

I'm off to Borders today. Thank you all for some great sounding books for me to add to my wishlist. I'll definitely check out Bill Neal.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

i just got "the Essential Kitchen"by Gates McFadden.

granted it isn't the best cookbook out there but gosh are the pictures pretty

Not to be a total geek or anything, but wasn't she Dr Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation?

Yes...and mother of young Wesley :biggrin:

=R=

I guess I should be embarrassed that I knew that. :rolleyes:

It gets a lot worse:

the author is actually Christine McFadden but i'm a total Trekkie and typed Gates McFadden instead.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

i just got "the Essential Kitchen"by Gates McFadden.

granted it isn't the best cookbook out there but gosh are the pictures pretty

Not to be a total geek or anything, but wasn't she Dr Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation?

Yes...and mother of young Wesley :biggrin:

=R=

I guess I should be embarrassed that I knew that. :rolleyes:

It gets a lot worse:

the author is actually Christine McFadden but i'm a total Trekkie and typed Gates McFadden instead.

:laugh: LMAO!

Just picked up Penelope Casas' Tapas yesterday as well as Richard Olney's Simple French Food and Sally Schneider's A New Way to Cook.

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

54,433.  And Ronnie, thanks for reminding me of the Penelope Casas.

...and thanks to guajolote for reminding me about it. :smile:

=R=

Hi Maggie et al:

Add 13 more for me, please. :biggrin:

Ordered and received from my local bookstore:

"Villas At Table", (1988), James Villas

"Between Bites", (2002), James Villas

"The Asian Grocery Store Demystified", (1999), Linda Bladholm

And some more just retrieved from the "house of missing, lost, and misplaced books" :unsure:

"Pike Place Market Cookbook", (1992), Braiden Rex-Johnson

"American Taste", (1982), James Villas

"Patio Daddy-O", (1996) (......................er............it was a gift :unsure:)

"Jerk, Barbecue From Jamaica" (1990), Helen Willinsky

"Hors d'Oeuvres and Cocktails" (1978), Nitty Gritty Productions

"The Decadent Cookbook", (1995), "Medlar Lucan and Durian Gray"...very literate, interesting book!

"The Restaurants of New Orleans" (1982), Roy F. Guste Jr.

"The French Chef Cookbook", (1963), Julia Child

"Southern Food" (1987), John Egerton

"Culinary Classics and Improvisations", (1965), Michael Field...............This is a wonderful, classic publication!

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

Found these Books all in excellent condition with covers at my favorite Seattle Thriftshop at give away prices.

The Art of Cooking by Arnold Zabert [1986]

Cooking A to Z by California Culinary Academy [1988]

Pacific Flavors by Hugh Carpenter [1988]

The Wolfgang Puck Cookbook by Wolfgang Puck [1986]

Theory and Practice of Good Cooking by James Beard [1977]

Chinese Cooking for The American Kitchen by Karen Kee [1976]

It surprising that these books are in like they were all purchased years ago, but appear that they were never read or used at anytime by the original owners and are in like new condition.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

=R=

You're gonna love it, Ronnie. Try the potato salad with dill, capers, and fresh orange juice, marinated at room temp. It's like a cool summer breeze in the middle of winter.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

=R=

You're gonna love it, Ronnie. Try the potato salad with dill, caoers, and fresh orange juice, marinated at room temp. It's like a cool summer breeze in the middle of winter.

it was a great reminder to me too; I've got to try the chicken livers in sherry sauce mentioned over in the Heartland Chicken Liver Society Thread...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

=R=

You're gonna love it, Ronnie. Try the potato salad with dill, caoers, and fresh orange juice, marinated at room temp. It's like a cool summer breeze in the middle of winter.

Thanks for the tip Heather--much appreciated :smile:

Now enough of this cookbook talk, you're needed on the bridge. :wink:

=R=

Two days of Chanukah and two more cookbooks...

The Secrets of Baking by Sherry Yard

and

The Bread Bible by RLB

Actually, tonight Blovie gave me Bittersweet (A. Medrich). I unwrapped it, started laughing and proceeded to point to the copy sitting on the coffee table. With that he ran to his hiding place and brought out another book. Now, I know I have a lot of cookbooks, but really, duplication? Already? :hmmm:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

One more: Essentials of Cooking, by James Peterson. $14.99 at Bargain Books! (Thanks for the tip, MatthewB.) It's a nice supplement to Pepin's Complete Techniques.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Added Dianne Kennedy's excellent new book yesterday while I was supposed to be buying Holiday gifts.

I need to go into bookstores with some kind of collar on that will cause pain and suffering when I go near the food books. Too many, too much money, too little read. AUUUUGHHGHGHG STOP ME BEFORE I BUY AGAIN! :shock::wacko::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Now, I know I have a lot of cookbooks, but really, duplication?  Already?  :hmmm:

Oh, yeah. When we go on vacation, I always hit the used-book stores in Southern Vermont. I finally learned to take a copy of my cookbook catalogue so that I won't buy what I've already got. Anyone need Time-Life Foods of the World Pacific and Southeast Asian Cooking and/or The Cooking of the Caribbean Islands (hardcover only), bought twice before I wised up?

Even so, I ended up with both the hardcover and paperback versions of Christine Ingram's World Encyclopedia of Cooking Ingredients because they changed the name for the paperback. :angry:

Edit to add note to Maggie: do not add any of these into the count; they've already been recorded.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

I cheated and opened a Christmas gift today, Larousse Gastronomique from my husbands business partner. Last year I received a Fanny Farmer paperback cookbook from him. Not sure if that means I pissed him off more or less this year. :unsure: I know I'll have a few more to add to your quest for 55,000 once Santa visits. :smile:

Add 4 more from me. ----Christmas presents.

I really had to laugh when I opened one present from a dear DDIL. It was the latest edition of The Joy of Cooking!!!!!! I have over 350 cookbooks and one time mentioned to this DDIL that I never had a copy of this basic of basics. So VOILA! She bought me one!

She has her Mother's copy of the 1951 edition, and it was fun comparing the two versions and seeing where and how far the book has come in those years. The new one probably wouldn't even be recognized by the first edition ---which was in 1931, I believe.

Anyway, I have added almost a yard in your trek to the moon.

+1

I got Nordstrom Friends and Family Cookbook: Heartwarming Recipes for Your Table by Executive Chef Michael Northern with Diane Morgan and photographs by E.J. Armstrong for Christmas from my mother.

It is a beautifully presented book and within the inside flap of the dust jacket appears: "The Nordstrom Friends and Family Cookook is a collection of recipes from Nordstrom's popular restaurants, as well as contributions from employees and friends, making this a time-tested collection of favorite meals."