• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 2)

JAZ

yikes! i never counted them before, just ordered what i wanted. and now after counting 175 in the downstairs bookcase i am not going up to the bedrooms to see how many more are stuffed in those areas. some are much more used than others and some are just old friends. when we lived in barcelona i had to have coleman andrews, in england i had to have the entire eliz david and in france, don't ask. but nowadays when we travel i don't ship my favorite books, but instead go via the net to local cooking sites. during my time in france, i got recipes from "the family" and checked all the foodie magazine on the newstands. reading cookbooks, and recipes in foregn languages is really not too hard. after all most of us know what to do after you melt the butter in the saute pan...

we should have reached the moon by now

:biggrin:

Too many to count! If you throw in the Southern Living magazine with all the printouts, it's crazy.

My husband says if I only cooked as much as books I own, life would be great.

We have moved 5 times in 7 years of our marriage and I drag these from country to country.

I think if I buy one more..he is going to lose it!

With the great net now days, you can find anything...that's another thing, printing out all that mess...I have it all, prints, cookbooks and magazines.

We leave are leaving our Paris apartment headed to our new home in Scotland Sat. 14th and I'm thinking maybe I should get read of my magazines but as they remind me of home...Louisiana...I can't bear the thought of tossing them out, however I might do it anyways just to free me of this craziness I have of recipes.

No more cook books for me!

r.

Too many to count! If you throw in the Southern Living magazine with all the printouts, it's crazy....

C'mon froufrou, throw a number out there! :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

70 in all, though just about half of them count more as food writing books than cookbooks.

I started with Marcella's Classic Italian Cook Book almost 12 years ago and for a long time I felt like I'd be unfaithful if I'd looked at any other cookbooks.

I guess I couldn't pick a current favorite, though I've been tending towards American eats. Beard is my most trusted guide there except when it comes to chili, in which case Tolbert takes the lead.

I just did some figuring. At your estimate of 12" per book, 56,707 books placed end-to-end comes to 17.28429 km. (Trying not to be USA-centric here.)

As part of your offices -- Keeper Of The Count and Vice-Mistress of Heartland Fun (or is that Mistress of Fun Heartland Vice?) -- I suggest a declaration of an International eGullet Day of Revelry when we hit 20 km -- 65,617 books.

(Now that I think of it, pretty much every day is an eGullet day of revelry. But this would be official. :cool: )

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

For those who came in late and don't quite get the standard of measurement:

So assuming that cookbook height averages 12", we have 2.83 miles of cookbooks end-to-end.

And we haven't even reached the 1-year anniversary of this thread!! (February 20).

Oh dear. Another 6 for me this weekend. What am I going to do with all these cookbooks? :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I just realized I can answer this question an easier way:

foodbooks.jpg

However, I do have a few on order that should be here any day (plus several of my food lit books are on another shelf because I'm actually reading them right now):

Chez Panisse Fruit

Martha Stewart's Hors d'ouerves

Diana Kennedy's From My Mexican Kitchen

The Quick Recipe

Aquavit

7 more for me :biggrin:

Two new ones from my local bookstore, both from recommendations on e-gullet......Thanks!:

"Cosmopolitan, A Bartender's Life", (2003), Toby Cecchini

"The Kitchen Book, The Cook Book", (1970..........new printing 2002), Nicolas Freeling

And a few more "rediscoveries" from the "house of lost, missing, and misplaced books" :rolleyes: :

"Paul Bocuse's French Cooking", (1977), Paul Bocuse

"Tout de Suite a la Microwave", (1977), Jean K. Durkee (Cajun/Creole recipes adapted for the microwave; a spiral bound "touristy" type book, but does have a microwave roux method I have used to success when short of time)

"Hopi Cookery" (1980), Juanita Tiger Kavena

"Renaissance Recipes", (1993), Gillian Riley

"A Chef for All Seasons", (2000), Gordon Ramsay

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

Add 3 for me.

2 James Villas

Pepin's Apprentice ('cause I keep forgetting to order it)

*Note to self... Do NOT start discussing books with Richard Kilgore while the laptop is in front of me with a window to Amazon open.*

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I decided to check out the new Borders that opened at the Time Warner Center and walked out with a new book. It's one of the Food & Wine Annuals. It was on the bargain shelves for $5.99 which is less than a bar of good chocolate. :smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

American Gourmet by Jane and Michael Stern 1991

The Good Food of Szechwan by Robert A Delfs 1974

Iron Chef the Official Book edited by Staff of Iron Chef 2000

The Chinese Jewish Cookbook by Ruth and Bob Grossman 1963

Cheese Cookery by Doris McFerran Townsend 1980

A Taste in Time by Beverly Sutherland Smith [signed] 1984

Glorious American Food by Christopher Idones 1985

Matters of Taste by Nathalie Dupree 1990

All in excellent condition with covers. Thriftshops are fun when your lucky.

Irwin :biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Afraid I haven't made a scientific count (and I am a CPA), but I am estimating around 400 if I figure 30 per shelf, more or less.

I have to "purge" them periodically, so right now about 50 are in my basement awaiting review by my stepdaughter and stepson.

And I will never discard my vintage Julia Child, Michael Field, etc......

Well, butter my b--- and call me a biscuit!

Just added the Laurel's Kitchen Whole Grain Bread Book (the new edition, not the old out-of-print one).

Fourteen bucks at the Strand annex.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"