• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 2)

JAZ

Are these books being lined up the long way? Huh? Huh?

Yes, they are, with the height being a highly unscientific average of 1 foot a book (determined by me.) Oh well, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single cookbook.

50, 797.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

A public confession of my illness: 2,576 at home, plus another 27 since I got to Mexico. Somewhere there MUST be a 12 Step Program for this. Help!

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Okay Maggie, I counted 'em up last night. It didn't take long. I liberally counted every book with a recipe in it, including things like Tender at the Bone and Between Bites, and then threw in Harold McGee for good measure, and still came up with...

... a lousy 54 cookbooks.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

<delurking>

Okay, I want to play too.

It seems I have 476. Of course, I had to count several times, since I kept getting distracted by the books. 315...316...317...Mmm, teriyaki chicken and asparagus rolls...Now, where was I??

--Julie

Julie Layne

"...a good little eater."

<delurking>

Julie, welcome to eGullet! Keep reading, keep posting.

Seth, Seth, Seth...whatever am I going to do? :smile: Havn't I said that this is not a competition, my Friend? (If it were, I sure wouldn't have revealed my relatively meagre cookbook library!)

Hannah. Babe. Get real! Of any group on earth, we eGulls will be the last to reprove you for yielding to the siren song of a new cookbook.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Every year, the Goddard-Riverside Community Center holds a book sale to raise money. The books are donated by publishers and all of them are sold at a discount of 50% or more, depending on the time of day. Over the years, I've picked up some great books for very little money. So, today I got 2 books.

Alice Medrich's Bittersweet

Diane Forley's Anatomy of a Dish.

The Medrich cost $17 and the Forley was $12. Plus, the money went to a good cause.

Book buying without the guilt.

YEAH!!

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

about a dozen, most of the time i borrow from the library.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I'll ante in with my piddly 31 and that includes the bartender's guide. I'm a library user too. I've checked out dozens. Love to read them, hate to store them.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

When I first counted them about a week ago for the purposes of this list: 64.

Today: 72. :biggrin:

Miss Tenacity

....in Albuquerque

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

this is the cookboook i sooo badly wanna buy

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/047...3265000-5960662

however it is expensive and currently i am swamped with bills and really need to clear them before i think of such an expense.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

many many many thanks Suzanne.

that review was hilarious and very true.

There I sat at Borders browsing the book.

Even grabbed a Comfy couch to flip slowly through the book.

Still too confusing so I told myself I'll buy the book someday and actually try to figure it out.

The pictures are really pretty though *LOL*

the fictitious jenny quite describes me (male version though)

when i buy things, i like to get the best i can afford.

Cookbooks and utensils of celebrity chefs? No more than guys who wear the jersey of their favorite athelete. A little idol-worshipping in that sense.

Thanks all the same for the excellent review.

Glad you liked it. "Jenny" is so many, many people! :biggrin:

I finally made a decision about buying chefs' cookbooks: I will wait until I can find them on the remainders tables, VERY deeply discounted. I'm only buying them to read, not really to cook from, so it doesn't matter how long I have to wait.

WOW, is this thread going to get my husband off my back or what? I only have about 1200 (maybe about 15 more than that) hardback and I have no idea how many paperbacks - those are mostly old and are in 3 huge Rubbermaid tubs awaiting me to figure out what to do with them. Most are upstairs on shelves, the ones I use a lot, about 20 are in the kitchen far from the stove area.

Six more thanks to jschyun, who brought me 4 more Time-Life cookbooks plus 2 recipe books on the plane over Thanksgiving . I love eGullet, where else would you get to meet someone who would schlepp pounds of books through the airport-on a holiday weekend-for a perfect stranger?

Four more just because. I decided I needed some books on French Bistro/ Country cooking and I've been meaning to buy Tante Marie's cookbook, so there you have it.

Oops, forgot one. Make that 11 cookbooks this month.

I am shopping for bookcases!!!

Edited by marie-louise (log)

Oh dear I have purchased 2 more! :sad:

One called Tsukemono, a book on Japanese pickles (in Japanese)

and Cooking with Master Chefs that I found at Amazon Japan's used book section for 500 yen (about$4.50)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"