• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

maggiethecat

Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours, Sarabeth Levine

Forgotten Skills of Cooking, Darina Allen

Nile Style: Egyptian Cuisine and Culture: Ancient Festivals, Significant Ceremonies, and Modern Celebrations, Amy Riolo

Seventy-Five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes and Sweetmeats, by Miss Leslie

Chocolate and Cocoa Recipes and Home Made Candy Recipes

By: Janet McKenzie Hill, Maria Parloa

Miss Parloa's New Cook Book

Delicious Candy Recipes The Ultimate Candy Cookbook for America's Sweet Tooth, S.A. Morse

The Big Book of Cookies - The Ultimate Cookie Collection, Manuel Braschi

No-bake Cookies: More Than 150 Fun, Easy & Delicious Recipes for Cookies, Bars, And Other Cool Treats Made Without Baking, Camilla Saulsbury

Punch: The Delights (and Dangers) of the Flowing Bowl, David Wondrich

Pumpkin Cookbook, Nicola Hill

The Great Pumpkin Cookbook, Libby McNeill

The Great Australian Pumpkin Recipe Book, Barbara Carr

Brownie Mix Bliss, Camilla Saulsbury (came free with a new brownie pan)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+ 4 since September

• The Spice Necklace: My Adventures in Caribbean Cooking, Eating, and Island Life - Ann Vanderhoof
  • The Cooking of Southwest France - Paula Wolfert
  • Punch: The Delights (and Dangers) of the Flowing Bowl - David Wondrich
  • Best Food Writing 2010

After an extended period of cookbook pruning, I had to add one more: Ad Hoc at Home. I'll be making the Santa Maria-style tri-tip tomorrow night.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have 119, I actually had a bunch more but I traded them in to a used book store for credit, since I hadn't used them in quite a while.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Newest books:

Japanese Hot Pots by Tadashi Ono and Harris Salat

Around my French Table by Dorie Greenspan

The Cooking Light Annual Recipes, a gift

The Sunset Cookbook by Sunset Magazine

Sometimes I feel that Sunset tries so hard to come up with things that are new that they overshoot the mark.

I have lost count as I have done some pruning and have acquired others since I last posted the number. It's probably around 550.

SCORE! "Baking from My Home to Yours" @ 50% off! TJ Maxx here in Pompano. :wub: (Sorry, Dorie, if this eats into your royalties, but I'm broker than broke!)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Just ordered Tartine Bread. Should have it in two more days. Damn you Amazon and your "if you only spend $10 more dollars you get free shipping..." :hmmm:

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I have about 150.

And just ordered the Greens Cookbook by Deborah Madison, Fat by Jennifer McLagan, a very intriguing one by Rozanne Gold that I can't recall the name of, and another copy of my favourite vegetable cookbook of all time, Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi, to replace the one I gifted to a friend.

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

I just added Cooking with the New American Chefs, a 1985 semi-classic (imho) by Ellen Brown, featuring stories about, and recipes by, many of the major figures of the time. Most names I recognized (Lydia Shire, Jeremiah Tower, Larry Forgione, et al.) but some were completely unfamiliar (Anne Greer, Jim Haller, Bruce Lefavour, Susumu Fukui). A few chefs are still with the same venue (Patrick O'Connell, Marcel Desaulniers, Paul Prudhomme sort of) but most have moved on to other restaurants or projects (or have retired from the biz). A few, sadly, are no longer with us (Barbara Tropp, Jean-Louis Palladin, Michael Roberts. I've even eaten at the restaurant of one (Jimmy Schmidt, then at London Chop House in Detroit) and took a class from another (Jackie Etcheber, now Jackie Shen, at Red Light in Chicago).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Just ordered Tartine Bread. Should have it in two more days. Damn you Amazon and your "if you only spend $10 more dollars you get free shipping..." :hmmm:

I just picked up the Tartine Bread book last week, it's amazing so far.

Do I give you the number of books I actually own or the number of books the wife thinks I own? My wife probably thinks I have 30 but I know the number is closer to 100.

I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde

The Easy Bohemian

about 250 in total, and no more space on the shelf, I have to prune before I can get any others, but I also slowed down quite a bit, as I have just about anything covered I might ever want to make. And then some. But if I pile any more on top of books, I'll get into trouble at home :laugh:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

104 for me. I just decreased my collection by about a third, and would like to whittle it down more to make room for books that I might actually use. Amazon and used book sales make keeping the numbers down something of a challenge.

I frequently have to remind myself that I'll probably be moving within the year, and that getting rid of things is more sensible than acquiring them at this point.

Two more recently: Pig: King of the Southern Table by James Villas and Pork and Sons by Stephane Reynaud. Love 'em both.

Our local library has Pig. :wub: If I had the extra cash...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've been putting off posting here as who likes to own up to an addiction? But I feel like I'm among fellow addicts (or at least some of you are) so I'll stand up and announce "Hi, my name is Jane and I'm a cookbook addict. I own 1,098 books but I'm still adding more". The point of this support group wasn't that we had to go cold turkey was it?

My most recent purchases have been Nigel Slater's Tender 2, Grace Young's Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge and Best Food Writing 2010. So now I'm having to own up every time I get another fix, aren't I?

Jane Kelly

Co-founder of Eat Your Books

www.eatyourbooks.com