• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

maggiethecat

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

A personal retrospect.

Just went backwards through the posts I have made to this topic. Can't believe it. I came to this list with 126 cookbooks to my name. A very mixed lot. And that was from a background of hating to cook.

Since Dec 08, via one method or other, I have acquired an additional 91 cookbooks. That's 3 years of incredible cooking and learning from this list. Possibly one of the most amazing and unexpected turns my life has taken.

I now am proud/ashamed/embarrassed to say I own 217 cookbooks.

Add a few more to the list:

Local ones

Gingerboy - Teage Ezard

MoVida Cocina - Frank Camorra

Some others

Joy of Mixology - Gary Regan

Nobu's Vegetarian Cookbook - Nobu Matsuhisa

Serious Barbecue - Adam Perry Lang

And a couple I bought in South Africa

32 Inspirational Chefs -- South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Mauritius & The Seychelles - various

Reuben Cooks Local -- Reuben Riffel

I'm at a very sad 27 - but 20 of these are chocolate related so they count for two :wink:

I feel so much better after going through this topic. Was feeling guilty after having ordered 30 more to add to my (measly in comparison) 200+ book collection. Looks like I can buy some more now.....

One more: The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends

Since November I only got two new books:

• Cooking By Hand by Paul Bertolli (I made the tesa and the ragù alla bolognese so far, both terrific)
  • The PDT Cocktail Book by Jim Meehan and Chris Gall, which is getting plenty of use as seen on the PDT thread!

Since November I only got two new books:

• Cooking By Hand by Paul Bertolli (I made the tesa and the ragù alla bolognese so far, both terrific)
  • The PDT Cocktail Book by Jim Meehan and Chris Gall, which is getting plenty of use as seen on the PDT thread!

I have gotten maybe 6 since Christmas--and my new PDT just arrived today, inspired by that thread.

One nice thing about buying books in a used bookstore (other than supporting local stores) is that sometimes you have a nice surprise. The Hawaiian cookbook had been signed by a couple of the chefs. Now I just need to gather the other 10 signatures to complete the collection. :smile:

I also just got White Heat by Marco Pierre White, thinking it was his autobiography. It was the wrong book but now I am fascinated with the recipes...

I just bought "Cookin With Coolio" used off of Amazon...

It's Whickety Whack...

Measurements in "dime bags"

I just got Charleston Receipts Repeats. Charleston Receipts has been a favorite cookbook of mine for fifty years. This one was first published in 1986 and is now in its 11th printing.

I got this one on the recommendation of a friend who assured me that it was not a rehash of the "receipts" in the original book but new ones and some modernized ones from the earlier book with ingredients now available in "modern" measurements.

A couple of weeks ago I got and am now reading Cheese and Culture - A History of Cheese and Its Place in Western Civilization, by Paul S. Kindstedt.

I've read almost halfway through it and while some of it is heavy going, it is fascinating. Cheese was not merely food. It had religious significance in many cultures and had a distinct effect on the spread of civilization, allowing people who were lactose intolerant (yes, even back then) to derive nutrition from milk in its secondary form, cheese.

This is not a book for someone who wants a quick read but if you are interested in how and why cheese (generic) and the various regional cheeses were developed and contributed to trade and the enrichment of societies, this is an excellent book.

"Cheese and Culture tells the story of how cheese history intersects with some of the pivotal periods in human history and in many cases shaped the lives of cheesemakers and the diverse cheeses they developed."

Edited by andiesenji (log)

I finally got around to counting mine, which are mostly older cookbooks that I read like novels. The total is -- give or take a few -- about 1450. The thing that I find odd, or maybe sad, is I cook from about 5 or 6 of them. My latest acquisitions have been older (last 60 years or so) Canadian cookbooks as I explore our new home.

I've really cut down on buying cookbooks. No, really, I have.

Still I bought one recently, second-hand, Bakers Best Chocolate Cookbook, 1995.

Why you ask? Well, for reasons which don't make sense, I have amassed a large collection of 'those' kinds of chocolate books from Nestle, Hershey, etc. For fun I guess. :raz:

+ 3

Sierra Mar cookbook by Craig Von Foester- lovely birthday gift from my brother and sister in law

Hunt, Gather, Cook by Hank Shaw

A Girl and her Pig by April Bloomfield

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

I now have Modernist Cuisine (actually, was given this ten days ago, but was too stunned until now to think of mentioning it here). I'm amazed by how big the volumes are, never expected them to be this imposing. Brilliant. :smile: :smile: :smile:

I own 49 baking books and 30 cooking books. I have several baking books on my wish list.

I usually to go to the library and try the recipes before I actually buy the book.

38, and I'm trying to pare down my collection more.

I'm a bit obsessive about getting rid of anything I don't use and trying to stay more or less mobile (I love moving), so I am often donating books to the library or passing them on to friends. I get rid of cookbooks which are stunning or gorgeous, but impractical for me, and I often get rid of cookbooks in favor of replacing them with something more advanced. I have a good stack of food magazines, but I also go through them and rip out the pages I want, and toss the rest. I do have a box of xeroxed recipes from library cookbooks. I, too, am that crazy lady always picking up 15 cookbooks at the library.

• Similar Content

• By boilsover
      Solid intermediate cook, here.  Not especially intimidated by elaborate preps.  But I'm new to SV, and would like a recommendation for a cookbook for guidance and exploration.

I was thinking of Tom Keller's Under Pressure, but I'm wondering if the preps he includes may not be the most generally useful.  What do you all like, and why?

Thanks!
    • By Chris Hennes
      On Nov. 7, 2017, Modernist Bread will finally arrive on my doorstep. Having preordered it literally the first day it was available, to say I'm excited about this book is a bit of an understatement. The team at The Cooking Lab have been gracious enough to give @Dave the Cook and me early electronic access to the book and so I've spent the last week pouring over it. I'm just going to start with a few initial comments here (it's 2600 pages long, so a full review is going to take some time, and require a bunch of baking!). Dave and I would also be happy to answer any questions you've got.

One of the main things I've noticed about this book is a change in tone from the original Modernist Cuisine. It comes across as less "everything you know is wrong" and more "eighty bazillion other bakers have contributed to this knowledge and here's our synthesis of it." I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Myhrvold and company are now the most experienced bread-bakers in the world. Not necessarily in terms of the number of identical loaves they've produced, but in the shear number of different recipes and techniques they've tried and the care with which they've analyzed the results. These volumes are a distillation of 100,000 years of human breadmaking experience, topped off with a dose of the Modernist ethos of taking what we know to the next level.

The recipes include weight, volume, and baker's percentages, and almost all of them can be made by both a home baker and someone baking in a commercial facility. The home baker might need to compromise on shape (e.g. you can't fit a full-length baguette in most home ovens) but the book provides clear instructions for both the amateur and professional. The recipes are almost entirely concentrated in volumes 4 and 5, with very few in the other volumes (in contrast to Modernist Cuisine, where there were many recipes scattered throughout). I can't wait for the physical volumes to arrive so that I can have multiple volumes open at once, the recipes cross-reference techniques taught earlier quite frequently.
    • By Chris Hennes
      I just got a copy of Grace Young's "Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge"—I enjoyed cooking from "Breath of a Wok" and wanted to continue on that path. Does anyone else have this book? Have you cooked anything from it?

Here was dinner tonight:

Spicy Dry-Fried Beef (p. 70)

I undercooked the beef just a bit due to a waning propane supply (I use an outdoor propane-powered wok burner), but there's nothing to complain about here. It's a relatively mild dish that lets the flavors of the ingredients (and the wok) speak. Overall I liked it, at will probably make it again (hopefully with a full tank of gas).

• By Kitchenista
      At this time of year when you can hoard fresh, local strawberries because they are so abundant, why not freeze them and enjoy them all year long. Then you won't have to buy tasteless, fake looking ones in the dead of winter!

The best way to preserve them, sugar-free, and have them fresh, year-round is to freeze them. Remember to start with the freshest strawberries possible. Strawberries start to lose freshness and nutrients quickly and will only last a few days in the fridge, so the sooner you freeze them the better. Follow these steps and they will last up to a year in the freezer:
      1. Gently wash them and pat them dry or allow them to air dry for an hour or so. Slice off the tops, including the stem and any white area, then cut them in half lengthwise.
      2. Line one or more rimmed baking sheets (depending on how many berries you have) with parchment or SilPats. Arrange them in a single layer on the sheets. and place them, uncovered, or loosely covered with plastic wrap in the freezer. Allow them to freeze solid, about 12 hours. Once frozen, transfer the berries (they may stick to the parchment a bit, but peel off relatively easy) to a freezer weight plastic zipper bag. Press out as much of the air from the bag as possible before sealing, to minimize freezer burn over time. If you are planning to leave them in the freezer for months, then consider double bagging them. Place the bagged berries in the freezer, where they will keep for up to one year.
      Note: I will warn you that the thawed berries will not be firm and bright like they were when raw and fresh. They tend to thaw out a bit mushier, and slightly darker…but can still be used for anything you would use fresh strawberries for. For smoothies, use frozen.
      Optional: Brushing the berries with a bit of lemon juice before you freeze them will help to preserve their color. While strawberries can be frozen whole, cut or crushed, they will retain a higher level of their vitamin C content if left whole.
    • By boilsover
      My Breville BSO 800XL  just died on it's second birthday, after only *extremely* light use at my beach house.  Just won't power up.

Reading online, I learned that a common failure mode is the thermal fuse blowing -WHICH IS DESIGNED TO BLOW AT <450F.  This is a $3 part at Radio Shack, and there is a detailed instruction on how to replace it here:  http://virantha.com/2014/03/02/fix-your-breville-smart-oven-by-replacing-the-thermal-fuse/

So I guess I'll give fixing it myself a try and report back.  Has anyone here done this repair?  Was it successful?  And why would Breville use a fuse that is lower than the appliance's top heat settings?

Thanks!