• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

maggiethecat

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

just got one:

Love Soups by Anna Thomas.

when my list of must copy out recipes hits 25 or more i have to buy the book. first time in about 4 years and this is the book.

Two more for me:

Emeril at the Grill (it came free with his cookware)

Memories of Philippine Kitchens - Amy Besa & Romy Dorotan

Between 1,400 and 1,500 with only a few duplicates (under 30) most of which are author/chef signed books

Finally did a count as I started entering my books into EYB (under the name fprincess). 53 books so far, including cookbooks and food-related. I have a few more that are not in the database and have not yet included (older books or French cookbooks that are not available in the US).

Most frequently used probably Les Halles (Anthony Bourdain).

Most recent acquisitions - How to Pick a Peach (Russ Parsons), The Raw and the Cooked (Jim Harrison), Beach Bum Berry Remixed (Jeff Berry), Larousse des Desserts (Pierre Herme, in French)

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Finally counted mine: I'm in for 192. Also using EYB but only 99 are in their library. Quite a few of the 99 are not indexed yet. I bought into their lifetime membership and hope that helps them develop the site faster.

Since I posted late last year, I have purchased several cookbooks but keep forgetting to add them to this list.

Chezcherie's The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook which I do indeed love and carry with me when I trek down to TJ's.

Tsukemono Japanese Pickling Recipes by Ikuko Hisamatsu

The Everything Rice Cooker Cookbook by Hui Leng Tay published August 18 2010

More Easy Beans by Trish Ross and Jacquie Trafford

The Roasted Vegetable by Andrea Chesman

366 Ways to Cook Rice, Beans & Grains by Andrea Chesman

The Everything Cheese Book by Laura Martinez

The Good Fat Cookbook by Fran McCullough

In a Roman Kitchen by Jo Bettoja - Kindle Edition

The 50th Anniversary edition of the I Hate To Cook Book by Peg Bracken

The Grit Cookbook: World-Wise, Down-Home Recipes by Edward Hafer and Jessica Greene

For the Thermomix ordered from the UK

Fast and Easy Cooking for TM31

Fast and Easy Indian Cooking for TM31

Full Steam Ahead - Steam Cooking for TM 31

Meat on the Menu for TM31

and I just pre-ordered The Pot and How to Use It: The Mystery and Romance of the Rice Cooker by Roger Ebert (yes, it's the film critic)

Not cookbooks but related:

Confessions of a French Baker by Peter Mayle

Cheesemonger: A Life on the Wedge by Gordon Edgar which I have re-read a couple of times, sent one to my daughter, sent one to a friend who is also a cheese fanatic. This is a great read if one loves cheese!

A few of these books are available on Amazon's Kindle so I first purchased the Kindle edition and then, if I really liked the cookbook, purchased the book itself.

Add another two for me.

One I've wanted for a long time: Ad Hoc at Home and

Chez Panisse Pasta Pizza & Calzone

after entering mine in EYB this weekend I have a better picture and my total is probably around 210 to 220. I did not enter German books and some the system did not recognize and I left those out too. I'm also at the end of the line so to say, no more room in the book shelf, so before new ones come in some old ones will have to go. And hopefully EYB will now make me actually cook from them occasionally too :-)

Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan

Early American Herb Recipes by Alice Cooke Brown

Mma Ramotswe's Cookbook by Stuart Brown, Mats Ogren Wanger, and Alexander McCall Smith

(referenced to the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by A. M. Smith)

I have a little over 20, but the funny thing is I don't use them as much as I should.

They're mostly for ideas (and the occasional instruction, like this past weekend's scrambled eggs with lobster (never cooked a lobster before)).

I take inspiration from a variety of sources ... mostly from outings to restaurants and cooking blogs.

Most are vegetarian-friendly. I wonder if that's a subconscious decision. I'll never be a vegetarian but my eating has been trending in that direction for the past several years.

We finally got around to winnowing the collection. So, minus 50, donated to our local community college's culinary/hospitality program.

Edited by Alex (log)

Having gone through the "Eat Your Books" upload process, I finally have a count....

147 for me.

This does NOT include massive number of those little check-out line books, primarily published by Betty Crocker and Pilsbury. I was seriously addicted to those at one point. I really must purge those soon, it would certainly give me a lot more room for REAL cookbooks !

Just got "Now Eat This" by Rocco Dispirito

(150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods All Under 350 Calories)

Love it!

Around 2000 for me - I have been collecting cookbooks for over 40 years with no signs of stopping. I also collect food writing - about 500 of these. I don't know if these count or not. Some have recipes but that isn't the reason I collect them.

I refuse to have any cookbooks on my shelves that aren't dead reliable.

So, I have CI's 'Best Recipe' (not the revised version), and Rossetto Kasper's 'The Splendid Table' (neither has ever let me down in terms of promised results). I also have McGee's 'The Curious Cook', Schwabe's 'Unmentionable Cuisine', and four small, paperback compilation Tuscan cookbooks clearly designed for those who do a lot of cooking and are familiar with the recipes (lots of 'pinch' and 'generous handful' sorts of measurements): 'Ricette Tradizionali Fiorentine', 'Zuppe della Toscana', 'Un Piatto di Pasta', and 'Dolci della Toscana' (I grew up in Florence).

So, I'd say eight cookbooks, here.

215 in the Eat Your Books database and 36 that aren't in it for a total of 251. And I am getting a new bookcase so look out Kitchen Arts and Letters!

Add 3 more from me.

Hershey's 100 th Anniversary: 100 Years of Hershey's Favorites to add to my every growing collection of Hershey's and Nestle books although I have no idea why seeing as I never make anything from them, but then they are all 2nd hand and great fun to look through.

Diana Kennedy. The Art of Mexican Cooking and Fany Gerson. My Sweet Mexico to add to my growing Hispanic/Latino/etc collection.

Three new ones recently: Amanda Hesser's Essential New York Times Cookbook; Ruth Reichl's Gourmet Today; and Kathy Sparks' Sparks in the Kitchen.

Add two more: James Beard's American Cookery and The Flavors of Bon Appetit vol 3. Value Village.

• Similar Content

• By chefmd
      It's time to get excited about new cookbooks coming out this year.  Hopefully some will also appear on bargain thread.   Here is an article from Food and Wine that lists some of the spring offerings.
      http://www.foodandwine.com/news/cookbooks-spring-2018
    • By ElsieD
      I got an e-mail this morning about the Modernist team's next project - pizza! 

Modernist Pizza is Underway!
      After taking on the world of bread, we’re thrilled to announce the topic of our next book: pizza. Modernist Pizza will explore the science, history, equipment, technology, and people that have made pizza so beloved.

Authors Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya, with the Modernist Cuisine team, are currently at work conducting extensive research and testing long-held pizza-making beliefs; this quest for knowledge has already taken them to cities across the United States, Italy, and beyond. The result of their work will be a multivolume cookbook that includes both traditional and innovative recipes for pizzas found around the globe along with techniques that will help you make pizza the way you like it.

Modernist Pizza is in its early stages, and although we’ve begun to dig in, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Although we can’t guarantee when it will arrive at your door just yet, we can promise that this book will deliver the complete story of pizza as it’s never been told before.

In the meantime, we would love to hear from you as we continue to research pizza from around the world. Contact pizza@modernistcuisine.com to tell us about your favorite pizzerias and their pizza. Connect with us on social media to get all the latest Modernist Pizza updates.
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      Tonight I finished Kristen Kish Cooking, Recipes and Techniques.  Alas these are restaurant or competition dishes, and while I would probably enjoy most of them, I saw nothing that I am compelled to cook.  Nor for that matter am competent to cook.  I commend her for sharing them.  I appreciate her definition of culinary terms.  My only gripe is that after assuring us she uses a Packojet at work, her ice cream recipes call for a home ice cream maker.

Kristen moved me.  I was taken by her back story as a gay interracial adoptee.  I can relate to that.

• By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.
    • By Chris Hennes
      A few weeks ago I checked out a copy of Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India from the library, and it is well on its way to earning a permanent place in my collection. I've really enjoyed the recipes I've cooked from it so far, and thought I'd share a few of them here. Of course, if anyone else has cooked anything from the book please share your favorites here, too.

To kick things off, something that appears in nearly every meal I've cooked this month... a yogurt dish such as

Simple Seasoned Yogurt, South Indian-Style (p. 324)