• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

maggiethecat

Two more: Dorie Greenspan's newest book plus one about smoothies.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Oooh Alex you're in for a treat! Every recipe from Around My French Table that I've tried has been great. We had the Vegetable Pot Au Feu and the swiss chard pancakes for dinner last night.

You can add two more to my list:

The Japanese Grill: From Classic Yakitori to Steak, Seafood, and Vegetables

Sugar Baby

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Current collection only runs about fifty or so, all the usual suspects; most of Keller's works, Alinea, Noma, a couple from Ruhlman, elBulli, and most recently added Modernist Cuisine. Years down the road though, I think the one I will cherish the most is a signed copy of Natura, purchased at my first Starchefs congress.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just took advantage of the sale at Borders and picked up Paletas, The Whimsical Bakehouse, The Perfect Scoop, and World Vegetarian.

Just got a bunch of cookbooks at the library too, so I haven't even had a chance to crack any of my new ones open. But soon, oh yes, soon, I will...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Three second hand additional cookbooks for me: one on frozen desserts, one on Asian food, and one on truffles...more cheap than noteworthy. Greed on my part.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

I added a few books to my library since March.

• Boozehound: On the Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits by Jason Wilson. This is my current read, which is very informative and a lot of fun, with cocktail recipes interspersed throughout the book. I love it so far and it is a good reference book.
  • The Cooking of Italy by Waverley Root (Foods of the World / Time-Life Books)
  • Pacific & Southeast Asian Cooking by Rafael Steinberg (Foods of the World / Time-Life Books). These two Time-Life books have beautiful vintage pictures and I can't wait to cook from them.
  • Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking by Nathan Myhrvold and Chris Young and Maxime Bilet. I guess this counts as 6 books...
  • The Reach of a Chef: Professional Cooks in the Age of Celebrity by Michael Ruhlman. I've read the other volumes (making, soul) so I had to get that one too.
  • An Embarrassment of Mangoes: A Caribbean Interlude by Ann Vanderhoof. I have the Spice Necklace by the same author, and expect that this one will be a good read too. The stories remind me of a trip I made to St Lucia last year, and it's a cuisine that I am interested in exploring.

So that's +11

Up to 143 now, last count I gave was 124--probably 25 new books in the last 2 years, and culling half a dozen. So add 19 to the total.

Bread 20

Other baking/dessert 15

Chocolate 6

Chinese 8

Other Asian 12

Indian 7

Latin America & Mexico 6

Vegetarian, vegetables, grains, beans 16

Mediterranean including Africa 15

Italian 9

French 3

general 8

Reference 18

• 2 months later...

In a recent rearrangement (and expansion) of the bookshelves devoted to my cookbooks and cocktail books, I took the opportunity to count them. The total came in at around 170. (Of course, that's not counting "food literature" or magazines.) When my bookstore finally gets off its butt and brings in a copy of the Eleven Madison Park cookbook that's not damaged, it'll be 171.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I'm pretty sure I haven't responded yet.

59 pastry/baking/chocolate

18 savory/general

Funny how our collections break down, isn't it? When I went through mine, I realized I have only 7 books devoted to pastry/baking/confectionery: two books on frozen desserts, two books on confectionery, two Anna Olson books, and I <3 Macarons.

Do 51 issues of Art Culinaire count?

They must count for at least one book collectively! Whenever I show my friends an issue of Art Culinaire and refer to it as a "magazine," there's this look they give me...

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Do 51 issues of Art Culinaire count?

They must count for at least one book collectively! Whenever I show my friends an issue of Art Culinaire and refer to it as a "magazine," there's this look they give me...

When you consider that it's 12 years of issues and $750 :blink:, it better count as at least one!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm somewhere between 250 and 300 now and I have to slow down, as I'm running out of space, I'll have to get rid of some before I can add much more, I'll get into trouble if I add an other bookshelf ;-p

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 4 weeks later...

Additions to my cookbooks. Just love the American Amazon.com.

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home

Mark Bittmans' The Food Matters Cook Book.

Shehad Husain & others. India's 500 Best Recipes.

Lisa Fain's The Homesick Texan.

Maria Teresa Bermudez. Mexican Family Favorites Cook Book.

Plus three Tex-Mex second hand books and one bread book.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Including

ALL the Culinaria Series

The Red Purefoy Hotel Cookbook

The Chicago Bulls Cookbook w/ Michael Jordans Mac & Cheese recipe

Boy Georges Macrobiotic cookbook

Ben Franklins cookbook (Parmesan in his cheesecake)

The UNCHEESE cookbok

The Entire Time-Life Good Cook series

The fantabulous Marlboro Cigarettes cookbook series

Top Secret Recipes series

The Clinton White House Cookbook and Tour

BONES

FAT

MEAT

and

Manifold Destiny cooking on your car engine

Wawa Sizzli FTW!