• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

maggiethecat

Just ordered The Soup Peddler's Slow and Difficult Soups, by David Ansel

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 1 month later...

My name's Gregg and I'm (also) a cookbook addict. What I don't spend on cookbooks, or the new SVS, goes to the lumber yard for materials for new book shelves. Fortunately my wife still believes this is better for me than crack.

• 2 weeks later...

+ 12 cookbooks and food-related since January

1. Sam Choy's Polynesian's kitchen
  2. The cooking of provincial France, M.F.K Fisher (Time-Life)
  3. Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing, Michael Ruhlman, et al
  4. Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking, Michael Ruhlman
  5. Tartine Bread, Chad Robertson, Eric Wolfinger
  6. Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses, Ricki Carroll
  7. Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes, David Lebovitz
  8. The Nasty Bits: Collected Varietal Cuts, Usable Trim, Scraps, and Bones, Anthony Bourdain
  9. As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto, Joan Reardon
  10. Life, on the Line: A Chef's Story of Chasing Greatness, Facing Death, and Redefining the Way We Eat, Grant Achatz, Nick Kokonas
  11. Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef, Gabrielle Hamilton
  12. French Cheeses, EyeWitness Handbooks

You can add 6 to mine:

My Sweet Mexico

Pop Bakery

Chewy Crunchy Crispy Gooey

A World of Cake

And just so I have something to eat to combat a sugar coma:

The new America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Cookbook

Ideas in Food

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I must confess, I was drooling over the Ottolenghi books on Amazon yesterday. So tempting, especially considering how much I loved the restaurant when I was in London and that I am starting to think about spring produce. I don't think I'll have the time/energy for a full blown veggie garden this year, so there will certainly be money I save from that...(and with all the great local farmstands there will be no shortage of produce.)

Coming here for strength!

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes, by Vickie Smith (to complement my new Fagor)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Four more for me, The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine, The After Five Gourmet, The Shooters Bible Game Cookbook and another one whose name I can't remember, since I'm not at home to see it... (Computer died, $&^*@(*{]{|\...!)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Plus one from from St.V de P: Better Homes and Gardens: Recipes from Prizewinning Cooks. Curious...there are no front pages missing and yet there is no date and no ISBN.

Found it on Amazon.com. 1986.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

<A.Brown> Oh, BOTHER!</A.Brown> Missed the Edit window. The other new book is called Somethin's Cookin' in the Mountains A cookbook and guide to Northeast Georgia Copyright 1984. Autographed by the author. All of $.50 at the newish Goodwill store. :smile:

a

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

+4

Via an assist from Groupon:

My New Orleans, John Besh

Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge, Grace Young

Courtesy of Bargain Books:

How to Pick a Peach, Russ Parsons

Chef, interrupted, Melissa Clark

The Clark book looks like a real sleeper of an acquisition.

• 2 weeks later...