• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks – How Many Do You Own? (Part 5)

maggiethecat

just got one:

Love Soups by Anna Thomas.

when my list of must copy out recipes hits 25 or more i have to buy the book. first time in about 4 years and this is the book.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Two more for me:

Emeril at the Grill (it came free with his cookware)

Memories of Philippine Kitchens - Amy Besa & Romy Dorotan

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Between 1,400 and 1,500 with only a few duplicates (under 30) most of which are author/chef signed books

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Finally did a count as I started entering my books into EYB (under the name fprincess). 53 books so far, including cookbooks and food-related. I have a few more that are not in the database and have not yet included (older books or French cookbooks that are not available in the US).

Most frequently used probably Les Halles (Anthony Bourdain).

Most recent acquisitions - How to Pick a Peach (Russ Parsons), The Raw and the Cooked (Jim Harrison), Beach Bum Berry Remixed (Jeff Berry), Larousse des Desserts (Pierre Herme, in French)

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Since I posted late last year, I have purchased several cookbooks but keep forgetting to add them to this list.

Chezcherie's The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook which I do indeed love and carry with me when I trek down to TJ's.

Tsukemono Japanese Pickling Recipes by Ikuko Hisamatsu

The Everything Rice Cooker Cookbook by Hui Leng Tay published August 18 2010

More Easy Beans by Trish Ross and Jacquie Trafford

The Roasted Vegetable by Andrea Chesman

366 Ways to Cook Rice, Beans & Grains by Andrea Chesman

The Everything Cheese Book by Laura Martinez

The Good Fat Cookbook by Fran McCullough

In a Roman Kitchen by Jo Bettoja - Kindle Edition

The 50th Anniversary edition of the I Hate To Cook Book by Peg Bracken

The Grit Cookbook: World-Wise, Down-Home Recipes by Edward Hafer and Jessica Greene

For the Thermomix ordered from the UK

Fast and Easy Cooking for TM31

Fast and Easy Indian Cooking for TM31

Full Steam Ahead - Steam Cooking for TM 31

Meat on the Menu for TM31

and I just pre-ordered The Pot and How to Use It: The Mystery and Romance of the Rice Cooker by Roger Ebert (yes, it's the film critic)

Not cookbooks but related:

Confessions of a French Baker by Peter Mayle

Cheesemonger: A Life on the Wedge by Gordon Edgar which I have re-read a couple of times, sent one to my daughter, sent one to a friend who is also a cheese fanatic. This is a great read if one loves cheese!

A few of these books are available on Amazon's Kindle so I first purchased the Kindle edition and then, if I really liked the cookbook, purchased the book itself.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Add another two for me.

One I've wanted for a long time: Ad Hoc at Home and

Chez Panisse Pasta Pizza & Calzone

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

after entering mine in EYB this weekend I have a better picture and my total is probably around 210 to 220. I did not enter German books and some the system did not recognize and I left those out too. I'm also at the end of the line so to say, no more room in the book shelf, so before new ones come in some old ones will have to go. And hopefully EYB will now make me actually cook from them occasionally too :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan

Early American Herb Recipes by Alice Cooke Brown

Mma Ramotswe's Cookbook by Stuart Brown, Mats Ogren Wanger, and Alexander McCall Smith

(referenced to the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by A. M. Smith)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a little over 20, but the funny thing is I don't use them as much as I should.

They're mostly for ideas (and the occasional instruction, like this past weekend's scrambled eggs with lobster (never cooked a lobster before)).

I take inspiration from a variety of sources ... mostly from outings to restaurants and cooking blogs.

Most are vegetarian-friendly. I wonder if that's a subconscious decision. I'll never be a vegetarian but my eating has been trending in that direction for the past several years.

• 2 weeks later...

We finally got around to winnowing the collection. So, minus 50, donated to our local community college's culinary/hospitality program.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Having gone through the "Eat Your Books" upload process, I finally have a count....

147 for me.

This does NOT include massive number of those little check-out line books, primarily published by Betty Crocker and Pilsbury. I was seriously addicted to those at one point. I really must purge those soon, it would certainly give me a lot more room for REAL cookbooks !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Just got "Now Eat This" by Rocco Dispirito

(150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods All Under 350 Calories)

Love it!

• 1 month later...

I refuse to have any cookbooks on my shelves that aren't dead reliable.

So, I have CI's 'Best Recipe' (not the revised version), and Rossetto Kasper's 'The Splendid Table' (neither has ever let me down in terms of promised results). I also have McGee's 'The Curious Cook', Schwabe's 'Unmentionable Cuisine', and four small, paperback compilation Tuscan cookbooks clearly designed for those who do a lot of cooking and are familiar with the recipes (lots of 'pinch' and 'generous handful' sorts of measurements): 'Ricette Tradizionali Fiorentine', 'Zuppe della Toscana', 'Un Piatto di Pasta', and 'Dolci della Toscana' (I grew up in Florence).

So, I'd say eight cookbooks, here.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 3 weeks later...

Add 3 more from me.

Hershey's 100 th Anniversary: 100 Years of Hershey's Favorites to add to my every growing collection of Hershey's and Nestle books although I have no idea why seeing as I never make anything from them, but then they are all 2nd hand and great fun to look through.

Diana Kennedy. The Art of Mexican Cooking and Fany Gerson. My Sweet Mexico to add to my growing Hispanic/Latino/etc collection.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.