• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a small mandoline that isn't going to break in my knife bag

ScoopKW

I had a Kyocera mandoline. I liked it a lot. Notice the past-tense? It fell apart in my knife bag. Cracked in three places. I need something more sturdy.

Recommendations, please. I googled and googled but could not find a small stainless mandoline, preferably with a ceramic blade.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I hope someone has suggestions because the same thing has happened with my kyocera adjustable ceramic slicer.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I can be of assistance on the broken side only. Bought an 'Essentials Professional Mandolin', about $25, at Kitchen Stuff Plus, an Ontario kitchen, etc, store chain, and one of the Julienne cutting blades broke on first use. It still works as a mandolin. Metal and plastic.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

There's a Japanese version you can often find in Korean stores. I think the brand is Benriner. A flat bed mandolin, with a selection of blades that slap in. Ours is pretty durable, although after 20 years it's losing the fight with our housekeeper.

There's a Japanese version you can often find in Korean stores. I think the brand is Benriner. A flat bed mandolin, with a selection of blades that slap in. Ours is pretty durable, although after 20 years it's losing the fight with our housekeeper.

I got one recently after seeing them used in a professional kitchen and like it, though the julienne blade got some bent tines the first time I was using it (on a sweet potato, which did require a lot of force compared to most things I've used with them).

Other than that, it's been great.

The Benriner is an excellent and inexpensive mandoline<br /><br />I don't use it much but will tonight to make uniform slices of kohlrabi which I will the slice into matchsticks using my gyuto knife. The Julienne blades are fine but by doing it with a knife I can control the width to my liking

The Benriner is an excellent and inexpensive mandoline<br /><br />I don't use it much but will tonight to make uniform slices of kohlrabi which I will the slice into matchsticks using my gyuto knife. The Julienne blades are fine but by doing it with a knife I can control the width to my liking

I've had a Benriner for maybe 15 yrs, I use it only occasionally because I prefer knives but I do use it for garnishes

• 3 weeks later...

I have the larger of the two Benriner's

http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN3-Wide-Body-Large-Slicer/dp/B00032RZNK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371408863&sr=8-3&keywords=Benriner

I love it. Ive had no problems with is for about 12 years. I have not used the Julienne blades. in fact when I got it it was about $25.

when it gets permanently borrowed, Id get it again.

My advice on the Benriner:

Benriner blades + carburetor = bad

Huh? Did I miss something here?

Yah...who does food prep in their engine compartment? Except possibly the road-rally cooks who wrote "Manifold Destiny"? :-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown