• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Omelette: how do you make your(favorite)s?

silverbrow

On 4/17/2020 at 3:20 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have the jerking part down pretty well.  My stove is a glass top cooking surface.  After learning the method on eGullet I bought a non-stick pan just for the purpose.  Actually I bought three non-stick pans for the purpose and use the one that works best, which is a Williams Sonoma branded Scanpan.  Before the Julia omelet I'd not owned any non-stick pans.  Sadly I seem to keep collecting them.

New piece from Bill Buford

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/kitchen-notes/mastering-the-art-of-making-a-french-omelette

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I wonder what the professor would think of Julia's method?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

47 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I wonder what the professor would think of Julia's method?

Its similar to what W. Puck did on a Top Chef episode...he might say its OK.

That was a revealing episode. The first one, I think, one year. IIRC none of the hot shot cheftestants had a frigging clue  how to make an omelette.

We may be getting close to having this cleaved from the dinner thread.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Jeee  Wizzzzzzz

make it , eat it 

and enjoy it

if you can get eggs

at the MegaloMart

w/o comprosizing  your self.

Typically I am not a hoarder of eggs.  At the moment I seem to have three dozen.  Organic and free range.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

39 minutes ago, FeChef said:

tbo, that omlette looked overcooked

Depends on whether you want a country omelette or a French one. Up thread Pepin legitimizes both.  I’d rather no browning, myself. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

Depends on whether you want a country omelette or a French one. Up thread Pepin legitimizes both.  I’d rather no browning, myself. 

Only militants stand firm on what constitutes an omelet.    Like what's a "good cup of coffee".   Or beef stew or clam chowder.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

Yeah, im on the no browning boat as well. As you mentioned "country" i agree, a hearty "rustic" omlette would need some browning to hold it together. But imo, a "simple" omlette should be light and delicate.

• Like 1

My favorite omelet is the classic uncheffy 'foldover style.' 

I always have a vat of my salsa (recipe on egullet somewhere from an earlier eon) in the fridge.

So I drop a generous handful of grated cheese onto my omelet, fold & finish, slide it onto the plate, ladle about a half-cup of my salsa on top, and Roberto's your tio.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

36 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

I always have a vat of my salsa (recipe on egullet somewhere from an earlier eon) in the fridge.

So I drop a generous handful of grated cheese onto my omelet, fold & finish, slide it onto the plate, ladle about a half-cup of my salsa on top, and Roberto's your tio.

My favorite omlette is a Chili cheese omlette. I basicly make a thin 10" tortilla out of obviously scrambled eggs, add in the Chili , cheese, then roll it up, top with more cheese, cover to let it melt, then top with salsa and sour cream.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FeChef said:

My favorite omlette is a Chili cheese omlette. I basicly make a thin 10" tortilla out of obviously scrambled eggs, add in the Chili , cheese, then roll it up, top with more cheese, cover to let it melt, then top with salsa and sour cream.

That sounds great. Kind of like the classic Texas dish, chili & eggs. Which you top with grated cheese & chopped white onions.

I've got a few bags of my chili in the freezer, and always plenty of my salsa, of course. Think I'll give your omelet a try really soon. 🙂

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

1 hour ago, Jaymes said:

For those who don't know @Jaymes' recipe, here it is in the Favorite blender recipes topic: Jaymes' salsa.  It's probably in a few other places, but doesn't seem to be in RecipeGullet. Yet. (Hint, hint. ;) )

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

24 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

That sounds great. Kind of like the classic Texas dish, chili & eggs. Which you top with grated cheese & chopped white onions.

I've got a few bags of my chili in the freezer, and always plenty of my salsa, of course. Think I'll give your omelet a try really soon. 🙂

Make sure most of the liquid is cooked out of the chili. You don't want to end up with a puddle of soup on the plate. One good thing about frozen chili, is when you defrost it, any exess water usually pools out so its easy to drain without cooking it out. Also, make sure you use hot chili so you dont have to over cook the omlette. You only want enough heat to melt the cheese.

• Like 1

I do the fold-over style, too, 3 eggs per omelet. My preference is for the eggs not to be browned. I use a lid on the pan so that the eggs cook faster without getting browned anywhere.

Fillings: has to have cheese (e.g., Comte cheese from Costco or cheddar). Also like cooked mushrooms.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@Kim Shook, your omelet looks really good. How many eggs do you use? How do you get it fluffy like that? Do you add anything to your eggs (e.g., water, milk, etc.)? Thank you in advance!

That one looks like a 3 egg to me.  That's about the limit of what I can fit in my 7-inch saute pan.  Sometimes if we want the same kind of omelet, I'll do 4 eggs and split it between the two of us.  The fluffiness is really just whisking thoroughly.  We had an omelet in NOLA at the Camellia Grill that looked perfect, but was a little dry.  They mixed those in a blender.  Mine are still pretty moist.  I do add about 1 tablespoon of water per egg (I used a half eggshell, so that's approximate 😉).  

• Like 1