• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Omelette: how do you make your(favorite)s?

silverbrow

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A poached egg is only a poached egg if it's been stolen from the forest in the dead of the night...

• Like 1

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Tamagoyaki is a very fun sort of omelette; you beat eggs with rice wine vinegar, soy and sugar and sometimes saki, and apply very thin layers to the pan, rolling each one in turn to form a cylinder or rectangular tube made of the egg layers wrapped around each other. Then you can use it to make nigiri. No doubt my technique is bad but I was able to get the hang of it fairly quickly.

I just saw a video of this recently. Very interesting. Wish I could find it again.

Try these. One shows the making of a lightly-colored one, the other shows the making of a browned one. Both are fine.

There are other variations selectable from the list of "similar" videos on the right panels of the webpages if you went to the actual youtube page.

Note also that the Google set of images for tamagoyaki shows stuff varying from blond to browned.

And just for fun, here's a one-egg tamagoyaki:

Thanks for setting me on a good path. I found it very interesting when Imsaw it, but didn't take note of where. The one I saw had them being rolled rather than squared off, but in watching some of these & reading some more, I find that rolled is also valid.

The wok burner under the first one was also interesting...wonder how hot the pan was, since we generally think of eggs as needing gentle heat.

Also looked at pans...wow! From about $8 to almost $200! Anyone here have one?

The wok burner under the first one was also interesting...wonder how hot the pan was, since we generally think of eggs as needing gentle heat.

The video posts the temp as 180ºC as overlaid text for a few moments when the chef held his palm over the pan to "feel" how hot it was.

The video posts the temp as 180ºC as overlaid text for a few moments when the chef held his palm over the pan to "feel" how hot it was.

Well, that's pretty darned hot. I missed the overlay you mentioned. Of course, they do set very quickly in the videos.

Again...does anyone have one of those pans?

PDon't really know why I'm so into this, since I doubt I'll ever actually try it. It's just a new thing, so I want to know all about it.

• 3 years later...

One of my favorite things to buy at the Burrough Market in London is mushrooms -- where I live in Olahoma you can get button mushrooms. And sometimes also small button mushrooms. And if you are lucky, more button mushrooms. Don't get me wrong, I love button mushrooms too, but it's always fun playing with the more interesting varieties. And my favorite thing to do with them is to make omelettes.

Here are some Bluefoots I picked up on a recent trip:

IMG_1231.jpg

I admit, calling what I make an omelette is stretching the definition, it's more like a mushroom salad with a bit of egg under it:

IMG_1233.jpg

I sliced them and cooked them using Dave Arnold's "wet and crowded" technique, then finished them with some Crème fraîche. The omelette underneath is just two eggs, salt and pepper.

• Like 5

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 2 years later...
8 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

Is that a julie child type omelet?

It would have been perfectly yellow if Henry hadn't been clawing at the door...

But Julia famously said  that however it comes out is what it was supposed to be.

So yes!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

But Julia famously said  that however it comes out is what it was supposed to be.

So yes!

My lunch was a Julia omelet!  Julia omelet, another thing I bless eGullet for.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

So yes!

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My lunch was a Julia omelet!  Julia omelet, another thing I bless eGullet for.

I obsessed with trying to make these a few years back and gave up when only one out of every three or four ended up right.  Couldn't get the technique consistent.  I'll search board here and see if there any tips, but need to be careful, right now there are only so many eggs in my fridge and replenishment is problematic 🕳️

• Like 3

Try this

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/13-1980-julia-child-cooks-omelet-46889625

Watching this I can see I'm not exactly using her method. No jerking, but stirring and then a quick roll into a tube. Takes about 45sec

My omelette is more like the 2nd one in Pepin's video

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

Try this

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/13-1980-julia-child-cooks-omelet-46889625

Watching this I can see I'm not exactly using her method. No jerking, but stirring and then a quick roll into a tube. Takes about 45sec

My omelette is more like the 2nd one in Pepin's video

I have the jerking part down pretty well.  My stove is a glass top cooking surface.  After learning the method on eGullet I bought a non-stick pan just for the purpose.  Actually I bought three non-stick pans for the purpose and use the one that works best, which is a Williams Sonoma branded Scanpan.  Before the Julia omelet I'd not owned any non-stick pans.  Sadly I seem to keep collecting them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have the jerking part down pretty well.  My stove is a glass top cooking surface.  After learning the method on eGullet I bought a non-stick pan just for the purpose.  Actually I bought three non-stick pans for the purpose and use the one that works best, which is a Williams Sonoma branded Scanpan.  Before the Julia omelet I'd not owned any non-stick pans.  Sadly I seem to keep collecting them.

I use carbon steel for omelettes. Only time I use the teflon is for scrambled eggs sometimes. I keep thinking I have one too many of them.

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I use carbon steel for omelettes. Only time I use the teflon is for scrambled eggs sometimes. I keep thinking I have one too many of them.

I have more than one too many.  But that could apply to my pots in general.  Someday I may count them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have more than one too many.  But that could apply to my pots in general.  Someday I may count them.

Same here and you know what the most annoying thing is?

I never have the quite the right size when I go to use them. I always have to compromise!

(I wonder if its an OCD thing or its just isolation madness)

• Like 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have 17 that get used,  9 regularly. And a bunch I keep trying to fob off on the kids. 
Not counting cast iron. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I have 17 that get used,  9 regularly. And a bunch I keep trying to fob off on the kids. 
Not counting cast iron. 

I stopped when I got to 41 43 but that includes Le Creuset.

• Like 2

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I stopped when I got to 41 43 but that includes Le Creuset.

Didn’t count that either. Lol

And I have a weakness for ramekins and tapas dishes/cazuelas.  It occasionally has to be defended. 

• Haha 5

I try to avoid counts since DH's idea of a well furnished kitchen is one frying pan and a gallon pot.    Several years ago he was apoplectic when coming up with 17 "frying pans".     i was able to get across the point that among his count were several sizes crepe pans, an abelskiver pan (or so), various grill pans and, and, and....

They just don't get it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

45 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I try to avoid counts since DH's idea of a well furnished kitchen is one frying pan and a gallon pot.    Several years ago he was apoplectic when coming up with 17 "frying pans".     i was able to get across the point that among his count were several sizes crepe pans, an abelskiver pan (or so), various grill pans and, and, and....

They just don't get it.

He ought to get that he eats well...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1