• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: SobaAddict70 (2013) -- La Cuisine du Marché

BTW, menus change on a literally daily basis. I almost never have the same thing twice in a row, because I'm always curious about what new thing I can do next.

I will probably try a couple (for me anyway) new things this week -- such as baking bread (attempt #3), making homemade Old Bay seasoning and ravioli.

#1 was nearly a success (not as much "rise"), and #2 was a total flop -- but made for excellent French toast.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Can't wait. Those scallops look amazing, as do the rest of the pictures.

>What a beautiful beginning, SobaAddict70.

thanks folks. :wink:

from top to bottom:

peas with pancetta

spaghetti with sea scallops and Jersey tomatoes

Italian potato salad, with Bordeaux spinach, red onion and olives

poached wild striped bass, tarragon butter sauce, spring vegetables

"foursome" -- clockwise from top left: micro-tatsoi, with hazelnut vinaigrette; "quick"-preserved citrus; baked cippolini onion with green garlic; marinated olives

insalata di zucchine e pomodoro

fagiolini e patate

Soba, how did you make the spaghetti & scallops & tomatoes dish? Any special steps?

Oh yes, I figured rotuts would like some more pix. All are on my blog btw.

6753590043_1c6cd4d4b3_z.jpg

Roasted vegetables (heirloom potatoes, black radishes, baby brussel sprouts, turnips) with lemon and herbs

6890483925_edbe4fa678_z.jpg

Tagliatelle with Marcella Hazan's Bolognese sauce

6981272187_d3e5e7c78a_z.jpg

Parsnips, green garlic, chicken skin "chips", capers

6959003614_76fbdd66eb_z.jpg

Sardines, mesclun, heirloom potatoes

8017513387_ba24bd6974_z.jpg

Fish croquettes, radish kimchi, seaweed, lettuce

(this was from a lunch at Gramercy Tavern)

8149948284_095a3be5a5_z.jpg

Roasted carrots, miso-mustard vinaigrette, panch phoron

8283949568_96f7a04322_z.jpg

Insalata di funghi

8290434093_acca63cbc0_z.jpg

Braised brussels sprouts with garlic and red wine vinegar
Broiled shrimp, with seasoned breadcrumbs and shallots

Can't wait. Those scallops look amazing, as do the rest of the pictures.

>>What a beautiful beginning, SobaAdd

ict70.lockquote>

thanks folks. :wink:

from top to bottom:

peas with pancetta

spaghetti with sea scallops and Jersey tomatoes

Italian potato salad, with Bordeaux spinach, red onion and olives

poached wild striped bass, tarragon butter sauce, spring vegetables

"foursome" -- clockwise from top left: micro-tatsoi, with hazelnut vinaigrette; "quick"-preserved citrus; baked cippolini onion with green garlic; marinated olives

insalata di zucchine e pomodoro

fagiolini e patate

Soba, how did you make the spaghetti & scallops & tomatoes dish? Any special steps?

Recipe here: http://kitchenseasons.com/2011/06/21/spaghetti-with-scallops-jersey-tomatoes-and-herbs/

:wink:

Edited by heidih
Fix link (log)

Lovely food. On the baked egg dish that was shown with the asparagus salad - did you have anything like some crusty bread with that?

nope. if I eat carbs too early in the day (it's 7 pm now but it's 2 pm for me, body-clock wise), I fall asleep.

oddly enough, I get more energetic as the day goes on, which is why during the weekend, my schedule is inverted.

Late dinner tonight -- got carried away talking to my boyfriend on the phone that I lost track of time. Oops.

016.JPG

This is 2 large slices of shoulder bacon (from Flying Pigs Farm -- http://flyingpigsfarm.com) coarsely diced, and cooked slowly over low heat along with 2 tablespoons boiling water. The idea is to let the water boil off while letting the fat from the bacon leach out onto the pan. Eventually the bacon will begin to crisp up. Incidentally, this trick can be used with pancetta or guanciale.

Meanwhile, I had 4 medium gold cippolini onions, peeled and sliced lengthwise that were briefly simmered in a pot of lightly salted water for about 2-3 minutes, then drained.

Once the bacon started to crisp, I transferred them to a ramekin, then warmed some olive oil and fried the onion halves in the heated oil until they were lightly browned. Then added the bacon back to the pan and let the onions and bacon cook for 1-2 more minutes.

025-001.JPG

Gold cippolini onions, shoulder bacon, sherry vinaigrette

Sherry vinaigrette -- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper to taste.

Next:

057.JPG

This is 1 onion, 3 celery stalks (and leaves) and 2 medium peeled carrots, all thinly sliced and being cooked in 1/4 cup olive oil. I'll let this cook down for the next 20 minutes before adding 1/2 head shredded broccoli rabe, and 1/3 cup cooked chickpeas and heirloom beans. (The chickpeas and beans were simmered for 2 hours along with 2 bay leaves and a healthy pinch of salt, then drained. Reserve the bean cooking liquid.)

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

078-001.JPG

This is after roughly 20 minutes. You can cook this down even more if you like; but if I did that, I'd be eating at 4:30 am, LOL.

To this was added the broccoli rabe, 1/4 bean cooking liquid, and the cooked beans and chickpeas, along with another pinch of salt and some peperoncini. I've turned the heat down and partly covered it; this will simmer for about 10 more minutes.

Good morning.

I'm having a bowl of broccoli rabe from last night. I usually don't like leftovers. My experience making chicken and dumplings last year taught me a lesson, that the only way I'll make something that will feed more than an army of one will be if I have a boyfriend. Well, I do now but he lives 3,000 miles away from me so until I move to the SF Bay Area, leftovers are not something that will appear much at Casa Soba. (Chicken and dumplings is nice, but in that specific instance, I was eating chicken and dumplings for 4 days a week. Freezing was not an option because there wasn't much room in the freezer.)

Dinner menu for May 26, 2013:

One-egg omelette with ramps

Butter-braised Japanese turnips and celery

Carrot and cippolini onion confit

Pearl barley biryani

More later.

You can make biryani using stuff besides rice. It won't be an authentic biryani, but that's not the point. It's so I can help people expand their horizons when they're faced with the question of what to have for dinner.

Oh, my! What a lovely surprise to come back to eG after being too busy to visit for a couple of weeks and find you blogging, Soba! Everything looks stunning – fresh, beautiful, delicious and gorgeously photographed! Those baked eggs and the bacon and onion dish were standouts for me!

090.JPG

The last ramps of the season. Sigh.

Bid them good-bye until next year.

Top: unsalted butter, heavy cream, farm egg.

One-egg omelettes are more delicate than omelettes made with two or more eggs. You have to be quick or else they'll burn. You can't overstuff them or they'll collapse.

The template is 1 egg, beaten, salt and pepper to taste, and 1 tablespoon heavy cream. The filling consists of chopped ramps, seasoned with sea salt and black pepper, cooked in melted unsalted butter.

106.JPG

One-egg omelette with ramps.

Oh, my! What a lovely surprise to come back to eG after being too busy to visit for a couple of weeks and find you blogging, Soba! Everything looks stunning – fresh, beautiful, delicious and gorgeously photographed! Those baked eggs and the bacon and onion dish were standouts for me!

thanks Kim. :)

115-001.JPG

008.JPG

Butter-braised Japanese turnips and celery.

1/2 cup sliced celery and Japanese turnips
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
a pinch of sea salt
1 heaping tablespoon minced chives
a little freshly milled black pepper
3 tablespoons chicken stock

Wash and slice the celery diagonally into 2 inch slices. Quarter the turnips or leave whole, depending on size. Bring a pot of water to a boil , then blanch the celery and turnips for five minutes.

Drain, then add the remaining ingredients. Turn heat to low and braise for 25-30 minutes, covered, checking the vegetables every once in a while to make sure it's braising, and not burning.

Adapted from: http://shesinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/12/butter-braised-celeryceleris-braises-au.html