• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whippers/Whipping Siphons: Brands/Models, Cartridges?

BryanZ

It will probably work if you cut the recipe in half and used a 1L siphon, but the sides of the siphon will get coated with the contents when you dispense it, so the final yield will be less than a halved recipe in a larger siphon. For best results, make sure to shake the siphon vigorously in between charges and to dispense its contents by holding it straight upside down.

Sam

• 4 months later...

So, a whipper has always been on my list as one of my "must buy gadgets" because of its immense versatility. I was always going to buy an iSi Gourmet Whip Plus because that seemed to be the industry standard (Laiskonis, Iuzinni, etc. have used it). Well, I was going to buy one until I saw Molecule-R sells one for more than half the price ($58.95 vs iSi's $109.99*).

*Note: This is the price that I can have it shipped to me. An amazon seller sells it for $70 but I can't have it shipped to me thus that price point is meaningless.

Does anyone have experience with the Molecule-R Culinary Whipper? Is it worth dropping twice the price just for the iSi?

The only advantage for the iSi I see is that the N20 cartridges are cheaper ($17 for 24 vs Molecule-R's $10 for 9.95). I suppose, in the long run, the iSi's cheaper cartridges make it cheaper.

Looks like the Molecule-R isn't fully stainless like the iSi Gourmet Whip plus. Most cartridges work fine in any brand of siphon - so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.

Depends what you want to use it for how strongly you might feel about the stainless.

Not sure where you are located - but it's worth checking out places like Marshall's or Homesense - they often have siphons quite inexpensively. Or thrift stores - I've picked up 3 in the past several months.

Depends what you want to use it for how strongly you might feel about the stainless.

For what applications would a stainless steel body make a difference?

Not sure where you are located - but it's worth checking out places like Marshall's or Homesense - they often have siphons quite inexpensively. Or thrift stores - I've picked up 3 in the past several months.

I'm in London, Ontario, so we do have a Homesense but no Marshall's. I'll have to check the former out sometime and look at both when I'm in Michigan the next time.

For what applications would a stainless steel body make a difference?

I prefer the stainless for warm stuff.

I'm in London, Ontario, so we do have a Homesense but no Marshall's. I'll have to check the former out sometime and look at both when I'm in Michigan the next time.

There is an outfit called Creamright - on Creamright.ca you can get a 1/2 litre stainless Mosa for $65. http://www.creamright.ca/store/product/CA-WCD-MO-SS500 If you aren't determined to have a stainless one - PM me your address and I'll send you one of the ones I picked up recently. (I'm in Burlington).

There is an outfit called Creamright - on Creamright.ca you can get a 1/2 litre stainless Mosa for $65. http://www.creamright.ca/store/product/CA-WCD-MO-SS500 If you aren't determined to have a stainless one - PM me your address and I'll send you one of the ones I picked up recently. (I'm in Burlington).

That's fantastic. Thanks for being so kind. I'll have to ponder for a bit.

• 1 year later...

Hi there I'm new to making foams and am looking at buying a stainless steel 1L siphon gun.

I was wondering what are the differences between the types of gas chargers and once the gun is charged how long will it stay that way? Till all the liquid is gone or do u have to recharge it? Is it expensive to use in a busy kitchen?

Any advice on good websites to buy from and any good recipes would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

>what are the differences between the types of gas chargers

There are 2 types N2O and CO2. My impression is that most applications use N2O.

>how long will it stay that way

Several hours for sure.

>Is it expensive to use in a busy kitchen

Don't know.

>Any advice on good websites to buy from and any good recipes would be appreciated!

I'd say the "usual suspects": Amazon, WebstaurantStore, etc.

>and any good recipes would be appreciated!

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/107085-foam-recipes/

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/130145-isi-whipper-%E2%80%93-which-one/

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/83890-warm-foams/

etc. Search using "ISI whip foam"

Outside eGullet http://blog.khymos.org/ has an ebook of recipes that includes some foams.

and of course: http://www.isi.com/us/culinary/

And be aware that many foams are made by simply applying an immersion blender to the foam base.

Edited by William Colsher (log)

NO2 has smaller bubbles and less flavor than CO2. CO2 carbonates whatever you add it to. It will make a foam in an isi canister, but it will be rougher on the palate, less stable, and have the taste & sensation of carbonation. Unless you want carbonation, use NO2. I've had line cooks mistakenly charge sweet mousses with CO2 and I could immediately taste the mistake. Not good.

You want your foam base chilled, and you want to charge the canister at least 1/2 an hour before you need to use it to let the gas diffuse. If you charge a canister and try to use it right away, it just squirts all over instead of making a nice foam. After that, it should keep for a few days, or until most of the contents are used up. But if you start a busy night with a partial container, or need more than one per night, best to have a back-up already charged so you don't have to deal with charging and waiting during service.

It's not really that expensive, 2 NO2 charges for a quart of foam base is maybe $2 (not sure), but considering how much it expands, you get maybe a gallon of foam.

And William is right, many savory foams, especially the ones with larger more distinct bubbles (of the sort that haters call spit) are made with lecithin and an immersion blender.

Nitrogen dioxide is the chemical compound with the formula NO2. It is one of several nitrogen oxides. NO2 is an intermediate in the industrial synthesis of nitric acid, millions of tons of which are produced each year. This reddish-brown toxic gas has a characteristic sharp, biting odor and is a prominent air pollutant.

I'm going to bet you'd rather use N2O <g>

Nitrogen dioxide is the chemical compound with the formula NO2. It is one of several nitrogen oxides. NO2 is an intermediate in the industrial synthesis of nitric acid, millions of tons of which are produced each year. This reddish-brown toxic gas has a characteristic sharp, biting odor and is a prominent air pollutant.

I'm going to bet you'd rather use N2O <g>

Definitely, thanks! :)

• 1 month later...

Hoping you guys can help...

Unfortunately I have just washed both my Gourmet Whip and my Cream Profi Whip and have mixed these up. Is there a way to tell the 2 apart? One has 1102 on the base and the other has 1205.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They're interchangeable.

The four Profis and two Gourmets that I have each have a different number on the bottom.

Three of the Profis and two of the Gourmets are the same model.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Profi Plus and Gourmet plus both have stainless heads...minus the plus the heads are aluminum.

The gaskets are different (the Gourmet has a silicone gasket that's appropriate for warm/hot liquids) but interchangeable and some of the included accessories are different but for the most part they're the same whipper.

The Gourmet is more a barista model while the Profi is more for professional kitchens and the like.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!