• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Prime' ground beef: worth it or gimmick ?

rotuts

The reason I buy a prime rib steak or strip is because I want marbling of fat to contribute flavor and mouth feel. This is totally irrelevant for ground meat because you can specify/add as much fat as you want. When I want good burgers I ask my butcher to grind a good looking piece of chuck (Choice) with added fat if I think it needs it. (If I want to be fancy I'll have him add some short rib or brisket to the mix.) Paying the prime premium for what will wind up to be hamburger is, IMHO, unnecessary.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

to conclude re the store I mentioned: this is the direction they are going in. they will do very well with this as the town this store is in is quite wealthy, where people either dont have the time or dont care to take the time to understand markets use marketing. I have no problem with that. Individuals get to choose their Choice ( :biggrin: ) but the motto of interest to me is: Know Your Meat !

PrimeGround.jpg

85% intro price: 4.49 every day price: $ 5.99. on the steep side.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Snake River Farms in Idaho sells incredibly good Wagyu burgers. They're frozen and come in a box of 4 8oz. patties. I've tested them side by side with Choice grade burgers and my own ground burgers from choice cuts. The Waygu burgers beat choice hands down, but I haven compared them to other ground prime beef.

Downunder and out in the sticks, we have a butcher that sells locally raised wagyu beef. His ground beef, made into burgers, is to die for! It has the flavour that I remember from my youth (way too many years ago) and is beefy beyond anything else I have tasted.

Simon

Snake River Farms in Idaho sells incredibly good Wagyu burgers. They're frozen and come in a box of 4 8oz. patties. I've tested them side by side with Choice grade burgers and my own ground burgers from choice cuts. The Waygu burgers beat choice hands down, but I haven compared them to other ground prime beef.

Downunder and out in the sticks, we have a butcher that sells locally raised wagyu beef. His ground beef, made into burgers, is to die for! It has the flavour that I remember from my youth (way too many years ago) and is beefy beyond anything else I have tasted.

Simon

I wish i could say the same. My memorys on burgers from my youth were identical to eddie murphy's delirious. And the ground beef always had little gristle balls in every bite. Needless to say i hated homemade hamburgers growing up.