• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Cookers

Kikujiro

Zojirushi makes a 3 cup one as well. Sorry, this is a Canadian site rice cooker but you can probably find it in the US. I have this one at home since I have a small family and don't need to make much rice at one time.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 1 year later...

Anything new in the way of rice cookers? I am inclined toward a Zoji and am open to suggestions as to which Zoji, as well as other brands. One that will do all types - white rice, brown rice, sushi rice - is important to me.

I Have TWO Sanyo micoms (fuzzy logics) and couldn't be happier with them.

The one Zo product I own, a breadmaker, has had several quality control issues in its first few months. :angry: I'm not at all sure it was worth paying for the brand name.

I have the "Zo" induction rice cooker (10 cup) for a couple of years (or longer) and I love it. It works for combo rice and grain mixes as well as for specific types of rice. I have yet to have any problems with it and I use it at least once a week, often three or four times a week.

I cook larger batches of rice (or other grains) and vac-seal and freeze the planned-for "leftovers" - although rice is such a staple for me that I never consider it just a "leftover" per se.

I simply can't see the advantage in having a 5 cup rice cooker when I also want to use it for steaming root vegetables that are bulky and need the extra space. (Yuca for instance and large, whole heads of cauliflower and large artichokes.

Prior to getting the induction cooker I had the Zo Fuzzy Logic cooker which worked great also (I passed it along to my daughter who uses it constantly, especially for sushi rice).

There are several vendors on ebay who sell the Zo rice cookers at a significant discount (select the "Buy It Now" option) to see the best listings and check the rating.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Looking at the rice cookers on Amazon, it appears that Zoji has at least two models for both the 3 and 5 cup capacity. For those who have had good experiences with Sanyo or Zoji, would you please tell us what model number you have.

We have the Zojirushi NS-VGC05.

With our older Zojirushi (which, it should be noted, was not a MICOM), making a single cup in the 5 cup rice maker often resulted in a browning of the rice on the bottom. With the new one, it comes out perfectly.

Also, the new machine explicitly allows mixed rice. I've added dried wild mushrooms for some dishes, and diced preserved lemon for lemon scented rice.

For the record, our normal "go-to" rice is a good brown Jasmine.

Edited by Dave Weinstein (log)

I have the Zojirushi 10 cup induction rice cooker.

The design of mine is somewhat different but I got mine fairly soon after they were introduced in the US.

This would be the comparable model:http://cgi.ebay.com/ZOJIRUSHI-NP-KAC18-Induction-Heating-Rice-Cooker-NEW_W0QQitemZ280395952276QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSmall_Kitchen_Appliances_US?hash=item4148e6b094#ht_1478wt_1149

I did not see any point in buying the 5 cup model as the price at the time was not that much more for the 10 cup.

I paid 329.00 for the 10 cup - the 5 1/2 cup was 299.00. I use it for steaming vegetables (using a SS wire colander which would not fit in the smaller one).

Back when I first purchased it I described my experiences with it. I have yet to be disappointed.

I also posted in this topic after using it for a year: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/100192-rice-cookers/page__p__1377151__hl__Rice%20Cookers__fromsearch__1entry1377151

In this topic http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/69500-best-rice-cooker/page__hl__Rice%20Cookers__st__60

I posted both before and after getting the induction cooker and mentioned at the bottom of page 3 how I had used it so far. I bought it in March 2006.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Since the ebay address I posted above did not post as a clickable link, here is the item number of the rice cooker in that post: 280395952276

The price at $198.00 for a new appliance is pretty good.

I have the Sanyo ECJ-D100S 10-Cup Micro-Computerized Rice Cooker/Steamer, White with Stainless Accent, purchased from Amazon in 2005 and it is among the most reliable of electronics in my house.

We use every day to every other day and is simple and goof proof to operate; make not so bad risotto as well...

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Here is my IH rice cooker. Note the pan has a few dings but only to be expected with heavy use for the past 3 1/2 years.

HPIM2348.jpg

HPIM2346.jpg

• 6 months later...

Has anyone made regular, old fashioned, oatmeal (not steel cut) in a rice cooker then used it to hold during restaurant service? I'm trying to set up something for a small place that wants to be able to serve about 15 portions of oatmeal over a 3 hour time period without it becoming a solid lump.

So what is the latest consensus on the best rice cooker? Are the fancy Zojirushi models worth the price? In particular I have been looking at these models:

Zojirushi NP-HTC10

Zojirushi NP-HBC10

They are very expensive but I read that these induction models are the only ones made in Japan and that the induction heats the entire pot evenly. I primarily cook Basmati rice and I have heard that no rice cooker is able to cook Basmati without the grains becoming mushy or damaged unless you soak and then cook using the "hard" cycle.

• 1 year later...

Looking here we see the Zojirushi Kiwamedaki Ultimate Rice Cooker.

It's listed on e-bay for over $1800 CDN.

Prices vary - but there is certainly none for less than $1000.

Does anyone know what the theory is behind this cooker? How fast does it cook? Does it produce rice that is 5 times better than that made by a Zo Fuzzy Logic or Induction rice cooker to justify the cost - or is it just a gimick? Any why can't I find it on the Zo site itself?

Good grief! The attributes like breaking down the starch and increasing water absorption sound like they would produce a mushy product? Even if it was allowing you to cook a vast quantity with an even product it seems ridiculous. Eager to hear what others understand about it.