• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Cookers

Kikujiro

33 minutes ago, weinoo said:

My thinking is a little different, and possibly a little more cynical than yours!

Like I'm wondering if they've always been worried about offering all-in-one recipes to cook in the rice cooker, worrying that they would end up having to answer to people who have screwed up their rice cookers.  Then, the cookbooks about using rice cookers as all-in-one cooking appliances came out, and they said the hell with it - put that recipe up on our site!!

I suspect you could be right. 
OK so I was quite prepared to buy a Kindle version of the book just because my curiosity was killing me.  Amazon, however, was kind enough to remind me that I already had a copy of the book! I read the preamble to the recipe and was almost persuaded to your side of the discussion. But then I began going down the rabbit hole and this recipe seems to be absolutely everywhere as though it were a standard recipe that everybody knows but us!  So perhaps it will never be settled and I don’t suppose it matters much. 
There are a few suggested variations such as using beef or pork instead of chicken and some other vegetables instead of those in this particular recipe. But there’s nothing really amazing about that!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yes I think you might have solved the puzzle of ingredients anyway. The puzzle of who determined it could be done in a rice cooker we must leave in shadow. Rice cookers were available when the book was published!  
Anyway it is has made for an amusing morning for me and who can knock that?  

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd worry most about making a mess out of my priceless Zojirushi.

Jo you're the only one who has a "priceless Zojirushi" - the rest of us just have a regular one 😝

p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

is there a Zo app?

Nothing shows in either the Play Store or the App Store. At least, not for searches based in Canada (I don't currently use a VPN, so I didn't try it with any other setting).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 month later...

Jasmine rice is not a rice variety I have previously stocked in house.  However I succumbed, and tonight amazon delivered a large bag of Lundberg Organic Jasmine from California (to the wrong address, I might add).

Currently percolating in the new Zojirushi on the jasmine setting...

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 8:03 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Jasmine rice is not a rice variety I have previously stocked in house.  However I succumbed, and tonight amazon delivered a large bag of Lundberg Organic Jasmine from California (to the wrong address, I might add).

Currently percolating in the new Zojirushi on the jasmine setting...

We've stocked Jasmine rice for a while.  For all those times short grain isn't called for and basmati is too long.

Should be telling we make Japanese food though Indian Food and then plenty of curries in between.

Our Zojirushi handles all 3 with ease...

Edited by Raamo
Can't forget the Zojirushi (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Raamo said:

We've stocked Jasmine rice for a while.  For all those times short grain isn't called for and basmati is too long.

Should be telling we make Japanese food though Indian Food and then plenty of curries in between.

Our Zojirushi handles all 3 with ease...

A couple of questions:

What ratio of water to rice do you use for cooking rice in the rice cooker? 

How long does jasmine rice take to cook?

Does the particular Zo you have, have a rice setting?  If not, what do you use?

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

A couple of questions:

What ratio of water to rice do you use for cooking rice in the rice cooker? 

How long does jasmine rice take to cook?

Does the particular Zo you have, have a rice setting?  If not, what do you use?

Thanks!

We use the White Rice/Mixed setting - our rice cooker is the NP-GBC05

It comes with a cup, we fill that to the 1/2 mark then in the bowl there is a mark for 1/2 and we fill water up to that level.

That works every time, I have no idea what the exact ratio is.  I trust the machine.

It does take at least 50 mins or so - we usually put water/rice in it and set a time we want it to be done.  Often that's 2 hours ahead of time.

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Raamo said:

We use the White Rice/Mixed setting - our rice cooker is the NP-GBC05

It comes with a cup, we fill that to the 1/2 mark then in the bowl there is a mark for 1/2 and we fill water up to that level.

That works every time, I have no idea what the exact ratio is.  I trust the machine.

It does take at least 50 mins or so - we usually put water/rice in it and set a time we want it to be done.  Often that's 2 hours ahead of time.

Thank you.  Mine is the Neuro Fuzzt, the smaller one.  It does have a separate mixed setting so I'll use that.  Since I can't do 1/2 cup, any idea what your ratio of rice to water might be?  I can find lots of references to boiled-on-the-stove rice, but not  for rice cookers.

My newer Zojirushi has a jasmine rice setting, and that is what I use for jasmine rice.  The cycle takes 59 minutes, and requires ever so slightly more water than for white rice (by which they mean Japanese short grain white rice).

I plan to make some jasmine rice tonight, to serve with stir-fried baby bok choy.

50 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My newer Zojirushi has a jasmine rice setting, and that is what I use for jasmine rice.  The cycle takes 59 minutes, and requires ever so slightly more water than for white rice (by which they mean Japanese short grain white rice).

I plan to make some jasmine rice tonight, to serve with stir-fried baby bok choy.

Can you give me a ratio of rice to water?

19 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Can you give me a ratio of rice to water?

I could have if I hadn't already started cooking it.  Does your rice cooker not have water level markings on the bowl?  If I remember I will try to record measurements next time.

As I remember Zojirushi has jasmine rice instructions on their website for models that do not have a jasmine setting.

• Thanks 1

Here.

Jasmine Rice (White)

Liquid per 1 Cup of Rice/Grain: 1 1/4 cups

Rice Cooker Capacity: 10 cups

Rice Cooking Capacity*: Minimum 1, Maximum 8

Setting: WHITE

Rinse: Yes

Keep Warm: Yes
*Minimum and maximum cooking capacity in the supplied rice measuring cup

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

When weighing the water, it's 225 grams of water to every go cup of Jasmine rice (around 145 grams). Of course, after you rinse jasmine rice, it will hold onto something like 20 -25 grams of water, which I tend to adjust for.

Simple, right?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here.

Jasmine Rice (White)

Liquid per 1 Cup of Rice/Grain: 1 1/4 cups

Rice Cooker Capacity: 10 cups

Rice Cooking Capacity*: Minimum 1, Maximum 8

Setting: WHITE

Rinse: Yes

Keep Warm: Yes
*Minimum and maximum cooking capacity in the supplied rice measuring cup

I looked at their web site at different times and never came across this page.  Thank you sooo much!

• Like 1

Trying to find white jasmine rice yesterday was an exercise in futility so I used a Floating Leaf product that worked very well.  I have posted a picture of the rice I used and a link (thank you. @Anna N) to the recipe.   This wAs very good, although I think I might reduce the cranberries to 3/4 cup.

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/recipe/cranberry-rice-confetti-mix

20221109_102555.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

My fancy new French Japanese rice cooker from Staub. They make this and a nabe originally for the Japanese Market. The nabe still might be only through Amazon Japan. 

Yukari rice in the pot.

23184CED-F97F-4E98-9892-8F0E1AD5B480.jpeg

Is the Staub rice cooker a pot to be used on the stovetop?

Yes, a pot for on the stove that Staub originally designed for the Japanese Market specifically for rice, this is the larger size about 1.5l I'll try and take a pic of the outside. 

I guess you could say i'm trolling? Because it's not a machine but it is specifically designed for rice. I do have a zoji but I've always preferred cooking rice in a pot. Lol

25D922C6-7586-4559-AE21-CAFACB7DA409.jpeg

Edited by AAQuesada (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1