• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Cookers

Kikujiro

19 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The new Zojirushi has a feature called "My Rice (49 ways)".  You can adjust rice stickiness and softness in 49 combinations.

In the Pantheon of favorite kitchen gadgets, where does your new Zojirushi stand?

6 hours ago, catdaddy said:

In the Pantheon of favorite kitchen gadgets, where does your new Zojirushi stand?

Good question.  I think my favorite kitchen tool is the one I'm relying on at any given moment.  In this case my beloved Blendtec.  And about to be the Kuvings juicer -- since I am preparing a batch of orgeat (for which I need my Paragon induction and my homogenizer too).  In all fairness the Zojirushi was a lot less expensive than the Blendtec.

Ask me again when I am cooking rice.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In all fairness the Zojirushi was a lot less expensive than the Blendtec.

Holy Moses. My jaw dropped at the cost of the rice cooker. It is now lying in 20 pieces on the tile after looking up Blendtecs. But I continue to subscribe to the philosophy that we each have the right to choose where we dispose of our income. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, palo said:

You're cooking rice at that time of the night?

p

I don't usually eat dinner till after midnight...and now, if you'll excuse me, my rice is done.

Tonight I cooked my Basmati on the firm setting, with good results.  The Zojirushi has no dedicated Basmati function and I am still experimenting.

I called Zojirushi a few years back and I was told the ratio was 1 to 1.5 - so 1 go of rice to 1.5 go of water - has worked for me and use the white rice setting in the menu

p

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Tonight I cooked my Basmati on the firm setting, with good results.  The Zojirushi has no dedicated Basmati function and I am still experimenting.

3 hours ago, palo said:

I called Zojirushi a few years back and I was told the ratio was 1 to 1.5 - so 1 go of rice to 1.5 go of water - has worked for me and use the white rice setting in the menu

p

Actually I found their (Z's) recipe for basmati by back-dooring it...it's in their recipes section on the website.

To Cook in the Rice Cooker:

• 2 cups (rice measuring cup) basmati rice 
  • 3 cups (rice measuring cup) water

1   Measure rice accurately using the measuring cup that came with your rice cooker. Rinse quickly once, drain and place in the inner cooking pan. 

2  Add water, and cook the rice using the “WHITE RICE ” setting.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Zojirushi has Basmati instructions for many of their models:

https://www.zojirushi.com/grains/

However the list has not been updated for the NW-JEC10BA.  Since the NW-JEC10BA has so many permutations of parameters I hope they come up with more specific information.  Last night's "firm" white rice was ever so much better than the "regular" which I found a little soft.

I've decided to buy a rice cooker.  I don't expect to cook more than 1 cup of rice at a time so am looking at smaller capacity ones.  I am specifically looking at Zojirushi.  They have 3 cup models but also  models that say up to 5 !/2 cups.  My question is, can I cook as little as one cup of rice in a 5 1/2 cup model?

@ElsieD 

I think the 5 cup //1 L

will cook 1 cup , of the cup size in its measurement 

ie  1 cup Japanese    

but Id call them

1 (800) 733-6270

this I think is USA  and keep the cups strain 

how ever , if the 5 Cups cooks one cup

you are going to be fine

Ive responded as Id like you to keep the

3 cup and 5 cup sizes and weight's in mind

the 5 cup has ' head room ' 

if you might want to cook several cups of rice 

and then add to that rice to make 

not-fried rice , and then keep the leftovers 

in the refrigerator , which i used to do .

if the 5 cup will cook 1 cup

and the foot-print // weight // cost 

suits you , consider it for its ' head-room '

if this is your first Fuzzy , 

unless you have your eye on the Induction model 

the Micron (  if that's what they call regular Fuzzy )

will do almost all you ant to do .

the new ' hot '  GABBA     probably only on induction 

you are going to love what ever you get .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually the 5 cup/1 litre can cook 1/2 cup (go) which is enough as a side for 2 persons (imho) - Id go with the NP-HCC10 model - not the highest, like Jo's, but pretty much the middle of their lineup, the only "biggie" that it's missing is pressure, Jo can probably fill you in as to how she sees that feature. I have the NP-HCC10 and can highly recommend it (that's how I know it will do a 1/2 go) - as for the GABA capability, you may never use it, but it's nice to know you can if you want (I've not used it in the almost 10 years I've had mine, but it's always there hiding in the menu settings, tempting me.

$340 at AmazonCA - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VAG84O2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10-Uncooked-Premium-1-0-Liter/dp/B00007J5U7/ref=sr_1_4?crid=22C6RVIEDL1AG&keywords=zojirushi%2Brice%2Bcooker&qid=1660261392&sprefix=zo%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-4&th=

I have the 5.5 / 1 liter made in Japan. For the two of us I usually measure 1.5 go cups of rice. If I want enough leftover rice for fried rice I double that. That would be ample rice for 4.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10-Uncooked-Premium-1-0-Liter/dp/B00007J5U7/ref=sr_1_4?crid=22C6RVIEDL1AG&keywords=zojirushi%2Brice%2Bcooker&qid=1660261392&sprefix=zo%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-4&th=

I have the 5.5 / 1 liter made in Japan. For the two of us I usually measure 1.5 go cups of rice. If I want enough leftover rice for fried rice I double that. That would be ample rice for 4.

I am truly dumbfounded by the fact that it claims to be "wall mountable" That would seem to present a huge number of problems.

The 3 cup is fine for two people, but if you want leftovers or need to cook for more people on occasion the 5 cup would be the better choice

p

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I've decided to buy a rice cooker.  I don't expect to cook more than 1 cup of rice at a time so am looking at smaller capacity ones.  I am specifically looking at Zojirushi.  They have 3 cup models but also  models that say up to 5 !/2 cups.  My question is, can I cook as little as one cup of rice in a 5 1/2 cup model?

Even the larger 10 cup Zojirushi models will cook as little as 1 cup white rice (or 2 cups brown).  My recommendation would be to get a 5.5 cup model that is made in Japan.

Beyond that let the features and your budget be your guide.  I must say the new NW-JEC10BA is smaller and easier to clean than my older Zojirushi.  However I won't promise I could detect a difference in the quality of the finished rice.  They are both pressure-induction units, manufactured in Japan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would think, for you that the model that @Kerry Bealshows above would be ideal for you.

I really wanted a 3-cup Zo but it lacked a couple of features I needed sp I had to buy a bigger model.

I wish I had that one.  

(Sorry, @ElsieD and Jo I put this in the wrong place)

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Thanks 1