• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Cookers

Kikujiro

16 minutes ago, KennethT said:

But to how many decimal places? Seriously, is there a reason for using an irrational number as a measurement?

Isn’t it also the size of one of those wooden boxes traditional for sake drinking?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

But to how many decimal places? Seriously, is there a reason for using an irrational number as a measurement?

I'm sure someone had a reason.  I would love to know what it was.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Isn’t it also the size of one of those wooden boxes traditional for sake drinking?

Yes, as I understand.

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm sure someone had a reason.  I would love to know what it was.

Here's a little something I found: https://greedy-panda.com/2020/06/the-rice-measuring-cup-explained/

• Like 3

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:16 PM, Joe Blowe said:

Thank you for the article. I was always interested in these measurements but had always forgot to look for it in the internet. Recently purchased Zojirushi rice cooker, glad to have it,  and will keep this info in mind

Edited by Teronms (log)

21 hours ago, Joe Blowe said:

The article is fascinating.  

When I got my rice cooker, I immediately measured the volume in the little cup, thinking I'll lose the darn little thing and then won't know how to measure the rice for this unit.  Sad to say, I saw the strange measurement as just one more 'screw the customer' ploy on the part of the market.  This is not a natural stance for me, naively believing that the vast majority of us are honest (naive, my husband would say), but in the face of so much dishonesty on the part of the market, what else could anyone think after such endless proof of blatant dishonesty on the part of manufacturers, distributors, etc, etc?

Except that I was totally wrong and I formally apologize to the rice cooker folks.  How interesting to learn about the traditional Japanese measurement system.  Why is this not mentioned in the little manual?  

Oh, I've lost the little cup, of course. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 minutes ago, Darienne said:

The article is fascinating.  

When I got my rice cooker, I immediately measured the volume in the little cup, thinking I'll lose the darn little thing and then won't know how to measure the rice for this unit.  Sad to say, I saw the strange measurement as just one more 'screw the customer' ploy on the part of the market.  This is not a natural stance for me, naively believing that the vast majority of us are honest (naive, my husband would say), but in the face of so much dishonesty on the part of the market, what else could anyone think after such endless proof of blatant dishonesty on the part of manufacturers, distributors, etc, etc?

Except that I was totally wrong and I formally apologize to the rice cooker folks.  How interesting to learn about the traditional Japanese measurement system.  Why is this not mentioned in the little manual?  

Oh, I've lost the little cup, of course. 

3/4 cup measure works fine

what's important 

Rice Cooker , Fuzzy or not 

its the ratio of Race to Water.

that's it .

the Japanese Cup works w the Japanese markings

around the Japanese bowl

making it easier to get to the important part :

pushing the On button.

I used my USA cup , and measure my water in a

USA Pyrex container .

either way works fine

once you realize its the ratio that's important.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

what's important 

that's it .

around the Japanese bowl

pushing the On button.

USA Pyrex container .

either way works fine

With your method how do you account for the water absorbed by and clinging to the rice grains after washing?  (Serious question.)

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2022 at 9:27 PM, weinoo said:

Now that I think of it, sake could explain 2401/13310.

@JoNorvelleWalker 

good question.

I gave the basket w the rinsed rice

a good tap at the side of the sink

then a shake and all went ini the pot. 

I eye balled the water a bit

but not in terms of the rice

waiting for a Cook.

a little dryer // wetter

I poured out a bit of water

or not.

good rice for me. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

what's important 

that's it .

around the Japanese bowl

pushing the On button.

USA Pyrex container .

either way works fine

I wonder if Zojirushi and their ilk actually intelligently sense the ratio you have used and adjust the cook time to produce a good cook - I tend to use basmati and often with add-ins and I use 1:1.5 (rice/water) and the add-ins are not included - my rice turns out fine.

• Like 1

their instruction book covers Basmati 

and for ' Rice '

they give ideas for a bit of leeway 

based on grain.

I bet every thing they say in the instruction book

would turn out deliciously 

w their measurement .

they you can experiment in small ways w the water.

but I get your point :

the Fuzzy takes over near the end

to give you really excellent rice.

• Like 2

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seriously, imperial was the last one I would have guessed.

Measuring cups in Canada are typically imperial. I have a set of rubbermaid cups that are metric and they just annoy me. All the cookbooks I grew up with are imperial. These days of course I usually weigh ingredients when I'm putting together a recipe - but not rice. Actually a lot of recipes - I weigh the flour, weigh the sugar - then I use a tsp or tbsp measure for other parts of the recipe - then some combination of weighing or measuring the liquid ingredients. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Measuring cups in Canada are typically imperial. I have a set of rubbermaid cups that are metric and they just annoy me. All the cookbooks I grew up with are imperial. These days of course I usually weigh ingredients when I'm putting together a recipe - but not rice. Actually a lot of recipes - I weigh the flour, weigh the sugar - then I use a tsp or tbsp measure for other parts of the recipe - then some combination of weighing or measuring the liquid ingredients. 

I'm with you, Kerry.  I weigh my oat groats but I don't weigh rice.*  Other than for rice, the cup I use is the US customary cup.  And so we have, smaller to larger:

Japanese go = 240100/1331 ml

Modern Japanese cup = 200 ml.

Canadian cup = 227.3045 ml

US cup =  236.5882365 ml

US legal cup = 240 ml

Metric cup = 250 ml

Imperial cup = 284.130625 ml

Please don't get involved with Russian or South American cups.  It's a wonder we can all communicate or eat.  I can well understand how wars get started.

*Oops, now that I think of it, I weigh Bomba for my paella.  I'm not sure I'll be trying it, but my new Zojirushi booklet includes a recipe for paella.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm with you, Kerry.  I weigh my oat groats but I don't weigh rice.*

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

*Oops, now that I think of it, I weigh Bomba for my paella.

I've modified my rice weighing technique (thought I never weigh rice for paella).  For my rice cooker, I normally make 2 to 3 GO cups of rice. For the donabe, 2 to 2.5. So, I weigh the first cup of whatever rice I'm using, and then just add to the bowl on the scale (which I'll then wash the rice in) to double or triple the amount in grams.

After reading the article linked to above, it makes more sense why the rices are measured in volume. But to be honest, I tend to get between 145 and 150 grams of rice per GO cup, no matter what rice I'm dealing with at the time. And weighing the water per the instructions included with the rice I buy from TRF, it always comes up to the correct line in the rice cooker.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

After reading the article linked to above, , it makes more sense why the rices are measured in volume. But to be honest, I tend to get between 145 and 150 grams of rice per GO cup, no matter what rice I'm dealing with at the time.

I thought of you when I read the original article, obviously the right way is the way that makes your rice come out right, the way you want it.

p

• Like 2

3 hours ago, palo said:

I thought of you when I read the original article, obviously the right way is the way that makes your rice come out right, the way you want it.

p

The new Zojirushi has a feature called "My Rice (49 ways)".  You can adjust rice stickiness and softness in 49 combinations.

• Like 4