• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Cookers

Kikujiro

Just now, weinoo said:

Of course it is!

See - my problem, back when I was in school, was that I didn't think enough!

You leave it on the warming function?  Isn't there the potential for, ummm, spoilage? (I was bad in biology too).

The idea of the warming function is that it holds the rice at a temperature that is too warm for spoilage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Of course it is!

See - my problem, back when I was in school, was that I didn't think enough!

You leave it on the warming function?  Isn't there the potential for, ummm, spoilage? (I was bad in biology too).

Rice has the particular risk of Bacillus cerius food poisoning.  Its my understanding that t he Zoj keeps rice above the risky temps when it is holding rice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, palo said:

I think athough it may avoid "spoilage" in terms of safety, it may impact the taste/texture through drying out

p

If you have very little rice left over, it does indeed dry out overnight.  In that case I just pitch it (or eat it all in one sitting even if I'm full).  But if you have enough rice leftover it is still quite tasty the next day.  One more reason to get a smaller rice cooker.

If I left the rice in the rice cooker, then I'd have this big rice cooker on the counter the whole next day, while making breakfast, lunch, etc.  I clean up after dinner, and the kitchen must be brand new looking for the morning. It's a restaurant learning/chef thing...the morning cook needs everything clean!

I prefer to make fresh whenever we need it. And I always make extra - for fried rice, or for reheating in the soon-to-be-defunct CSO.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

the solution to this problem :

make more rice .

then take the surplus , and add Mix-Ins .

use some neutral oil

refrigerate .   eat the next day as a nice snack.

even good cold.

" Not Fried Rice "

I do this on purpose !

• Like 1

We bought our Zoji NS-ZAC18 back in January 2003. Except for the clock battery which died years ago, it turns out rice just as good as that first batch.

Regarding the holding of cooked rice, I make large batches of rice and then freeze what we don't immediately eat. Why? Resistant starch.

• Like 2

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

2 minutes ago, Joe Blowe said:

We bought our Zoji NS-ZAC18 back in January 2003. Except for the clock battery which died years ago, it turns out rice just as good as that first batch.

Regarding the holding of cooked rice, I make large batches of rice and then freeze what we don't immediately eat. Why? Resistant starch.

How do you reheat the frozen rice to retain the resistant starches?  From what I've read in the past, you can't heat the starch very high or the resistant starch will convert back to normal starch.

24 minutes ago, Joe Blowe said:

Can the battery be replaced?  

So, if the battery dies, you can still operate the device but can't use the timer, is that it?

BTW, there is a YouTube video showing how to replace the battery, but, to me anyway, that process is extremely daunting.

The battery is not user replaceable, but as pointed out there are YouTubez detailing the process. And, yes, the cooker is still operable without the battery: You can either plug it in and hit start, or you can set the current time and then schedule a timer for later.

Regarding resistant starch, I reheat in the microwave just until it's hot (years of practice). It is correct that you shouldn't reheat items into oblivion if you're looking to retain the resistant starch you've created, but it's surprisingly durable stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

• 3 months later...

For the past ten days I have been living with a Zojirushi NW-JEC10BA.  My older rice cooker is an NP-NVC18, more than eight years old.  Of course, being Zojirushi, the NP-NVC18 still makes perfect rice, but I had been wanting a smaller rice cooker for some time.  Also, not to complain, the battery in the NP-NVC18 is dead, and the new NW-JEC10BA cooks steel cut oats.

In addition to steel cut oats, the NW-JEC10BA adds settings for congee and jasmine rice.  Dropped for some strange reason is the NP-NVC18 setting for scorch rice.

For the NP-NVC18, the minimum quantity of short grain rice is 1 Japanese go (180.39 ml).  Whereas for the NW-JEC10BA, the minimum quantity is 1/2 go.

As expected the NW-JEC10BA is smaller than the NP-NVC18.  I am considering leaving the NW-JEC10BA on the kitchen counter, something not possible with the NP-NVC18.  I was hoping the NW-JEC10BA would be lighter than the NP-NVC18 as well.  It is, but not by much.  I weighed them as 6.436kg and 6.584kg, respectively.  For what it's worth, the NW-JEC10BA features a new iron pot technology.

Another difference is the NP-NVC18 has 6 parts to take apart and clean.  The NW-JEC10BA requires only 3.

How does the NW-JEC10BA perform?  One batch of Tamaki Gold and two batches of Tilda Basmati later, and both Zojirushi make what I'd call perfect rice.  This was to be expected.  My one experiment with steel cut oats in the NW-JEC10BA was a disappointment.  Not because the oats weren't good.  They were.  The problem was the minimum quantity was an inordinately large amount.  After finishing the oats I had to take to my bed.  In the future I may explore an even smaller recipe.

If you have an older pressure/induction Zojirushi, it is probably not necessary to replace it immediately with an NW-JEC10BA.  More so if the internal lithium battery still works.  But as we all know kichen toys are fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@JoNorvelleWalker

fine analysis .

""  new iron pot technology ""

Im fairly sure my Brand New 3 cup induction Zoji does not have this.

I won't look it up.

and thinking about pH 

while I still can 

if true , there might be other ways to change the pH 

in the pot , by a Zillionth of a unit   in a tasty way ?

I cook SCO's w milk.   I make far more than I eat at the time

and keep the rest in a re-purposed yogurt container 

in the frige.  [ Kelvinator for some ]

and micro the next morning .  it does need a bit more milk

when re-heating.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

fine analysis .

""  new iron pot technology ""

Im fairly sure my Brand New 3 cup induction Zoji does not have this.

I won't look it up.

and thinking about pH 

while I still can 

if true , there might be other ways to change the pH 

in the pot , by a Zillionth of a unit   in a tasty way ?

I cook SCO's w milk.   I make far more than I eat at the time

and keep the rest in a re-purposed yogurt container 

in the frige.  [ Kelvinator for some ]

and micro the next morning .  it does need a bit more milk

when re-heating.

SCO's?

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, From the prices I see 😮😱😮that thing should come with its own pedestal. 
Does it have an AC function to cool the kitchen?

No air conditioner but the NW-JEC10BA's included shamoji was redesigned to incorporate its own pedestal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Today was cool and cloudy.  I decided to revisit steel cut oats in the NW-JEC10BA Zojirushi.  I added less than the minimum 0.5 go:  1.5 ounces (by weight, not volume), a more Jo sized amount.  (As I recall 0.5 go of oats is about 2.5 ounces.)  The result was a bit wetter than I might prefer, but otherwise quite OK.

One complaint, the cleanup after cooking oats is more of a pain than after cooking rice.  I think there is a reason these devices are called rice cookers, and not oat cookers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1