• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Cookers

Kikujiro

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I think the nice thing about the Zo is that many of them will properly cook every type of rice, oats, porridges, etc. etc. I can load up the one I have with washed rice and water, set a timer for whenever, and the rice will be ready at the exact time I've set. (I  think the retractable cord is a big plus, especially in my tight kitchen).

No quarrels with the excellence of the Zo.  Would be lovely to have one.  Along with a lot of other kitchen appliances that are featured in this forum  And some amongst us  can find the money to buy them...others, for whatever reason, don't or can't.  It seems that whatever extra we have goes towards maintaining two elderly 100-pound dogs.  Our rice cooker didn't.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

I think the nice thing about the Zo is that many of them will properly cook every type of rice, oats, porridges, etc. etc. I can load up the one I have with washed rice and water, set a timer for whenever, and the rice will be ready at the exact time I've set. (I  think the retractable cord is a big plus, especially in my tight kitchen).

My Zojirushi does not do oats, although the newer version of my model does.  Unfortunately my old cooker shows no sign of quitting, which makes it hard to justify a new one.  Even for me.

As much as I'd love to try cooking oats, the warnings are severe and I'm afraid I would end up in the I Will Never Again thread.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

rather than start a new thread

( which is a bit painful )

re: Fuzzy Logic rice cookers ( from Japan )

are the Induction or Induction-Pressure models 

that much better than the plain Fuzzy ?

or are the newer versions just faster

giving the same result?

My older Induction-Pressure Zojirushi takes 80 minutes on the Umami setting.  Result is excellent.  How fast is the plain Fuzzy?

@JoNorvelleWalker 

cheers and thanks for response .

my ' good as brand new '

10 cup ( 1/2 for MixIns after cooking )

55 minutes . any amount I think ?

for my RC'er   Ive done 3 USA cups

and it worked fine , but I like the ' head room '

for after cooking MixIns ::

NotFried Rice 

what is the Umami setting . in terms

V a V Rice ?

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

cheers and thanks for response .

my ' good as brand new '

10 cup ( 1/2 for MixIns after cooking )

55 minutes . any amount I think ?

for my RC'er   Ive done 3 USA cups

and it worked fine , but I like the ' head room '

for after cooking MixIns ::

NotFried Rice 

what is the Umami setting . in terms

V a V Rice ?

Zojirushi says the Umami setting soaks and steams the rice longer for enhanced flavor.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@JoNorvelleWalker

Nice !  Ive been thinking

of an AfterTaxInTheMail 

"" enhancement ""

all the Fuzzy ( 0ne item  10 cup )

iPots , and CSO's

( two ' In the Box ' )

this one :

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LGC05XB-Cooker-uncooked-Stainless/dp/B01EVHWNVG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=DZAOGXMCWMHS&keywords=zojirushi+rice+cooker&qid=1648405738&sprefix=zojirushi+rice+cookers%2Caps%2C62&sr=8-3

Just for small rice does 

Ideas ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

of an AfterTaxInTheMail 

"" enhancement ""

iPots , and CSO's

( two ' In the Box ' )

this one :

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LGC05XB-Cooker-uncooked-Stainless/dp/B01EVHWNVG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=DZAOGXMCWMHS&keywords=zojirushi+rice+cooker&qid=1648405738&sprefix=zojirushi+rice+cookers%2Caps%2C62&sr=8-3

Just for small rice does 

Ideas ?

If it were me, I'd go with the pressure-induction.

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

of an AfterTaxInTheMail 

"" enhancement ""

iPots , and CSO's

( two ' In the Box ' )

this one :

Just for small rice does 

Ideas ?

I've been eyeballing that one.

@JoNorvelleWalker 

OK Why ?

I have a number of iPots . and understand

most of them

having an iPot

'' pressure"  Rice

induction- presser

moves an '' essential '  and a so useful 

item ( read the book )

into ::  Why that extra expense?

of any kind , working   ***  as good as new ***

10 cup

but I do like the idea of the 3 cup

As a singleton I opted for the smaller 5 cup model which I usually only fill to 1/2 cup or 1 cup on infrequent occasions - has more than enough capacity for me, a family, maybe not.

p

My Zo is ancient - well over 30 years old which is when I got it. I am 2nd owner. Got it at a warehouse auction and it was stuffed in with some household goods. Korean famiky that had failed biz. Bright red. Already had a big dent in it then I dropped it from a high storage shelf. But works liike a charm. Retractable cord still functions as do all the settings - regular rice, paella & others, sweet rice, brown rice, porridge hold warm. Made in Japan NMDC-R18 10 cup but works well with as little as 1 cup (8 fluid oz cup) raw. I use it a lot.

• Like 2

to be a bit fair:

my National  / Panasonic 

works as good as new

but Ive had it longer than the Zo's 

one cn get in the USa

but it seems :

GoZo theses days 

which is very fine.

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Why?  And which model is that?  

My model is NP-NVC18.  The newer, smaller version that I'd want now is NWC10XB (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

The NWC10XB has settings for oats and long grain rice (and congee) that the NP-NVC18 does not have.  Although I am quite satisfied by the long grain rice from the NWC10XB (I add a bit of extra water).

For what it's worth the higher end Zojirushi rice cookers are made in Japan, while the rest, like the Micom that @rotuts linked, are made in China.  I'm sure part of the cost differential is Japanese labor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, palo said:

As a singleton I opted for the smaller 5 cup model which I usually only fill to 1/2 cup or 1 cup on infrequent occasions - has more than enough capacity for me, a family, maybe not.

p

Which one do you have?

@ElsieD - NP-HCC10

I find the 1/2 (rice) cup is ample for me - don't be misled by "warming", it's actually "keep warm", so you'll have to find an alternative vessel to reheat your leftovers.

p

26 minutes ago, palo said:

@ElsieD - NP-HCC10

I find the 1/2 (rice) cup is ample for me - don't be misled by "warming", it's actually "keep warm", so you'll have to find an alternative vessel to reheat your leftovers.

p

I don't understand.  I use the warming, or more usually the extended warming all the time.  No complaints, but if I had a smaller Zojirushi it would make life a lot easier.

41 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't understand.  I use the warming, or more usually the extended warming all the time.  No complaints, but if I had a smaller Zojirushi it would make life a lot easier.

My point was that I don't believe you can take cold rice and reheat for serving, you can certainly use warming or extended warming after it has cooked but it does not "reheat" rice

p

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, palo said:

My point was that I don't believe you can take cold rice and reheat for serving, you can certainly use warming or extended warming after it has cooked but it does not "reheat" rice

p

I much agree.

While I couldn't get by (well, of course I could) without the Zojirushi, some of their claims in the ads (at least on Amazon) are pretty head-scratching.

For instance (from the Amazon link above):

"Platinum infused non-stick inner cooking pan changes water quality for sweeter tasting rice" is one I have a problem with.

FWIW, I usually make more rice than we'll eat at a meal - the leftovers make for good fried rice.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

"Platinum infused non-stick inner cooking pan changes water quality for sweeter tasting rice" is one I have a problem with.

I had a problem with that claim as well

p

• Like 1

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

While I couldn't get by (well, of course I could) without the Zojirushi, some of their claims in the ads (at least on Amazon) are pretty head-scratching.

For instance (from the Amazon link above):

FWIW, I usually make more rice than we'll eat at a meal - the leftovers make for good fried rice.

The basis of the claim is that rice texture is improved by the platinum particles acting as a catalyst, forming hydrogen and increasing the pH of the cooking water.  I have no apparatus for measuring pH but I'd be surprised if, oh, say @rotuts didn't have pH strips or a pH meter handy.  It should be a simple enough experiment.

It is well known that platinum is a catalyst for hydrogen evolution.  Rice, of itself, is slightly acid.  Think hydronium ions.  Whether the pH increasing effect of platinum makes a difference to the final rice quality is open to discussion.

When I have leftover rice I let it sit in the Zojirushi and enjoy it the next night.  But I do wish I had a model that would make a smaller quantity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It is well known that platinum is a catalyst for hydrogen evolution.

Of course it is!

Think hydronium ions.

See - my problem, back when I was in school, was that I didn't think enough!

When I have leftover rice I let it sit in the Zojirushi and enjoy it the next night. 

You leave it on the warming function?  Isn't there the potential for, ummm, spoilage? (I was bad in biology too).

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?