• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Cookers

Kikujiro

I got my rice cooked , after checking out that book

which was new and on display at my library

or I would not have heard of RC's then

and specifically for cooking groats w milk , not water

works fine    no scorching , no attending a pan for too long a time.

I can say the inner lid did need some cleaning some times

but it was easy to do.   and my pot is 10 cups.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Does anyone cook stuff in the rice cooker with liquids other than water?

Like in that book I linked to above, she discusses cooking oats with milk or cream. I just worry it will muck things up.

My rice cooker is actually a 15 year old Krups rice cooker / slow cooker combo but I dont' see how my epxeriences with it wouldn't translate.  I've made Hainanese chicken rice in there with no issues - just cook the garlic/ginger in a pan on the stove first, add the rice, then put that combo in the cooker along with the chicken stock.  Worked great.

• Like 2

I recently made tomato/basil bread in my breadmaker and basically you just replace the water with tomato juice - I would think you could do the same with a rice cooker because the ingredients really don't interact with the innards.

p

• Like 1

Other liquids - yes. My party favorite was long grain white of pantry choice, a good dose of partially cooked split green peas, coconut milk, saffron and a pinch of a fragrant curry powder. Sometimes I'd lay a few think fish fillets on top late in cycle. A comforting one-pot meal w/ a tart salad.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

My cheapie B&D rice cooker crapped out yesterday while I was prepping meals for the in-laws.

My GF and I each had one when we moved in together, one of which we kept and the other went to one of our daughters. So the casualty was either 8 or 14 years old, depending if it was hers or mine. Either way, it's hard to argue with the TCO on a product that sells for about $20.

So I bought another one.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 9 months later...

I put my rice on last night (after dark), switched on the rice cooker and my entire apartment plunged into darkness. I stumbled outside to where the fuse box thing is. There was light in the stair well.

So I reset everything.  I thought. Replugged in the cooker and hit on switch. Same again!

Returned to stair well and I was perched on my stool to reach the reset button, when one of my neighbours ran up the stairs and said "What the f... are you doing?" Well, he didn't exactly say that. He doesn't speak English and the equivalent word doesn't begin with an 'f'. No Chinese words do!

So I cooked the rice the old way for the first time in about 30 years. First thing this morning, acquired a new rice cooker.

All part of life's rich.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 2/26/2022 at 5:02 PM, Duvel said:

I have successfully cooked rice with (diluted) coconut milk in my trusted Zojirushi.

And I make chicken soup in it. Regularly.

There are several rice cooker cookbooks out there. There ar emany things you can cook in a rice cooker.

For example

The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Never will I ever eat dry jasmine rice or any type of rice. It can and has choked me and poor Maisey was like wtf.

When I say dry rice, it’s fully cooked it just lacked moisture or any kind. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)

29 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Never will I ever eat dry jasmine rice or any type of rice. It can and has choked me and poor Maisey was like wtf.

When I say dry rice, it’s fully cooked it just lacked moisture or any kind. 

Do you have a current model Zojirushi?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

53 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you have a current model Zojirushi?

Nope. It was a rice pilaf that came with a door dash delivery. Although I’d really like to have a good rice cooker. So recommendations are appreciated! 

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Although I’d really like to have a good rice cooker.

Zojirushi.  One of the models made in Japan.

I've been very happy with this one.

They have a deep line up.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Although I’d really like to have a good rice cooker. So recommendations are appreciated! 

OTOH, I've had a really inexpensive Black & Decker rice cooker for a good number of years now.  And it's just fine.   Is the bare bottom of options, no doubt, but all I want is cooked brown rice.   

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 3/23/2022 at 11:29 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall never again exsanguinate myself all over the dinner plate.  I know how clotting is supposed to work, I just wish it would.

As does @weinoo, I have a Zo rice cooker.  Mine is induction.  Makes the BEST rice ever, any kind.  Never had a batch that didn't turn out perfectly!  And, I use it all the time.  One thing my model doesn't have which my previous Zo did have is a retractable cord...a very nice option.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Darienne said:

OTOH, I've had a really inexpensive Black & Decker rice cooker for a good number of years now.  And it's just fine.   Is the bare bottom of options, no doubt, but all I want is cooked brown rice.   

I think the nice thing about the Zo is that many of them will properly cook every type of rice, oats, porridges, etc. etc. I can load up the one I have with washed rice and water, set a timer for whenever, and the rice will be ready at the exact time I've set. (I  think the retractable cord is a big plus, especially in my tight kitchen).

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

i agree the Fuzzy tie cookers are well worth the investment

On-Off  rice cookers are fine

but the Fuzzies  do a lot more , as mentioned above.

consider finding this book :

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook-Porridges/dp/1558326677/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1QCC27B3CCE5F&keywords=the+ultimate+rice+cooker+cookbook&qid=1648388462&s=books&sprefix=the+ultimate+rice%2Cstripbooks%2C631&sr=1-1

59416642_51qM--K8bjL._SX391_BO1204203200_.jpg.32e0e85f7a7930b7d2cab2deb3eef769.jpg

it was on display at my library a long long time agp

and it opened my eyes to the fuzzy potentials.

unlike the iPot , these do ' milk ' , which i use for my steel cut oats.

iPots can't do this.

back then , Zo was non-extant in the US

I have an ancient National // panasonic 10 cup  ( extra space for MixIns )

it works as if ' brand new '

I cant say if Induction or Pressure-Induction is worth it.

other might comment .   Im in no hurry .  Rice in the N-P takes

55 minutes .  but is com[letely unattended and keeps the rice warm.

iPots do rice ( I use the pot in a pot method , over water )

Zo seems to have a 3 cup model  

I asume Japanese Cups , which are smaller than USA cup.

hope you can fine the book.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, rotuts said:

I asume Japanese Cups , which are smaller than USA cup.

Yes - those are "rice" cups.  I find they hold between 140 - 150 grams of rice, depending on varietal. And exactly 180 grams of water, as it's a 180 ml "cup."

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

rather than start a new thread

( which is a bit painful )

re: Fuzzy Logic rice cookers ( from Japan )

are the Induction or Induction-Pressure models 

that much better than the plain Fuzzy ?

or are the newer versions just faster

giving the same result?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

iPots do rice ( I use the pot in a pot method , over water )

I don't make a lot of rice and when I do I make it in the instant pot. I tried that method and didn't have much luck. How do you do yours?

I don't feel that I make enough rice to justify giving cupboard space to a rice cooker.

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I don't make a lot of rice and when I do I make it in the instant pot. I tried that method and didn't have much luck. How do you do yours?

I don't feel that I make enough rice to justify giving cupboard space to a rice cooker.

I understand that, but I cook rice almost everday - sometimes more than once. One that I use when it's just me eating (most of the time).  It cost $17 USD at today's exchange rate. I've had it for about two years.

The other is what I use when I have company. That one I've had for maybe 5 years and it cost maybe $40 USD.

Both cook any kind of rice, as well as other things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I cook rice almost everday -

Therein lies my problem. Growing up in the midwest it was not part of my culture. I don't think I ever ate rice until I left home and my family didn't like rice. It is probably the weakest part of my cooking repertoire. I would really appreciate a new thread for the different types of rice and the proper way to cook them. Also ideas for rice dishes. It has taken me 80 years but I have found that I kind of like it.